Roll a tamer? Why, when all stables are always full?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Azmo

Roll a tamer? Why, when all stables are always full?

Post by Azmo »

The subject line says it.
I would love to roll a tamer, but I cannot see the use if I cannot even stable a horse for my townie.
This is a very simplistic suggestion on how to make this server even better than it already is!
Add a zero to the line of code would be a great start :)

Azmo

Re: Roll a tamer? Why, when all stables are always full?

Post by Azmo »

Other reasons for maximizing the stable storage:
1) Putting your horse up for macroing.
2) Keeping a backup horse for WHEN you get PK'd.

With an expanding population, this would typically be proper maintenance.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

While I understand the desire to have stable space for your pets at all time, we know that during the era the mechanic allowed for only a limited number of stable slots per stable master. Since the primary goal of UOSA is to replicate the mechanics, we can't make a change to either a UOR style system or a custom system.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Azmo

Post by Azmo »

Kaivan wrote:While I understand the desire to have stable space for your pets at all time, we know that during the era the mechanic allowed for only a limited number of stable slots per stable master. Since the primary goal of UOSA is to replicate the mechanics, we can't make a change to either a UOR style system or a custom system.
While I understand your reasoning, when it gets to the point where a stable slot is available 5% of the time, shouldn't there be a clause somewhere that decides the accommodation/s of the populace?
Some changes to UO happened for a reason, and not all of them are to be considered blasphemous or to be shunned when it comes to overall player convenience. Mind you, this is not just any kind of convenience when it comes to a limitation of a particular player class, simply because they won't be able to utilize the class in it's entirety.
Imagine a mere 25% growth rate, at the availablilty that a stable slot is open now. You can forget stabling anything.
Worse case scenario? You'll have to post a population limit, and/or post advice on being a tamer to include limited stable space. Shoot, that should be done now.
Attached is a pic of a guy that burst out with about 7 dragons, walked them around the yard, then put them right back up and left. The stables here are "full", of course, just like all of the others.
The only thing that anyone would ever know, after adding the zero, would be that they were lucky enough to get a slot today.

I'm here because of the strict rulings on keeping it old school, of course, but did part of the complaints about this game involve having too much stable space?
Thank you for the timely response!
Attachments
Stables Full.jpg
Stables Full.jpg (110.48 KiB) Viewed 3070 times

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Again, while I understand the desire to change the mechanics to solve a perceived problem, we can't justify changing the mechanics. If we did, then every mechanic could be equally called into question for the exact same justification, breaking any adherence to the mechanics of the era.

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

As far as I'm concerned, stables are only places to grief as I never have any pets to put away, so I have no stake in it either way. However I know there have been countless threads and discussions about this over the past year (pro tip new players: search the forums!), so correct me if I'm wrong but I thought accuracy was achieved by having animal trainers stable pets individually each with their own limit. I also thought it was agreed that it was a shard by shard policy decision as to how many trainers would be at each stable. If that is true, what would be stopping us from adding more as it would not change mechanics but be purely a policy decision? Quite frankly I'm not sure how many animal trainers we have here now and obviously there needs to be some line drawn on when enough is enough. And perhaps no matter how many we have the same people are going to hoard and fill them I don't know. I'm just wondering if the way I understand it is on the right track and if so is the decision to increase the number of animal trainers something that is considered. As always... keep up the good work Kaivan!

EDIT: Subsequent posts have made me see that I shouldn't have taken the "problem" from the original post seriously. Should have known! :lol:
Last edited by applejack on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

We don't have a policy in place to add as many stable masters as possible to the shard.

Moppety

Post by Moppety »

Try different stable masters!, tbh with a rune book to all 7 stables you will find spots, even at the busier places. Never had a problem finding spots for 40+ pets and that's only so low because I don't want to tame more ATM. But I prolly tame a new couple pets every couple days and never have a problem.

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Moppety is correct. Although I've never been one to have more than 1 or 2 pets stabled at any given time, I've never had too much of a problem finding spots. If the stables are full in the town you're in, try another town. What applejack said is also correct. Each stablemaster has his own slots. In any given town, if one stablemaster says he is full, don't forget to check the stablemaster standing right next to him. :)

meltedmantis

Post by meltedmantis »

Kaivan wrote:While I understand the desire to have stable space for your pets at all time, we know that during the era the mechanic allowed for only a limited number of stable slots per stable master. Since the primary goal of UOSA is to replicate the mechanics, we can't make a change to either a UOR style system or a custom system.
these rules when it comes to things like stable space, are completely bogus. It is not era accurate for the entire player base to have 5 accounts worth of chars... that a lot of characters eating stable space, unproportionately to the amount of distinct players..... I played the entire time during this era, and full stables was not a issue during the peak of popularity, except for maybe 1 of Britain stables, and minoc perhaps

Elph

Post by Elph »

meltedmantis wrote:
these rules when it comes to things like stable space, are completely bogus. It is not era accurate for the entire player base to have 5 accounts worth of chars... that a lot of characters eating stable space, unproportionately to the amount of distinct players..... I played the entire time during this era, and full stables was not a issue during the peak of popularity, except for maybe 1 of Britain stables, and minoc perhaps
Get a rune to Nujlem or Occolo.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

meltedmantis wrote:
Players don't have access to 5 accounts worth of characters, only 3. Beyond that, stable space isn't restricted by character, which means that extra characters is meaningless to the number of stable place taken.

Azmo

Post by Azmo »

Moppety wrote:Try different stable masters!, tbh with a rune book to all 7 stables you will find spots, even at the busier places. Never had a problem finding spots for 40+ pets and that's only so low because I don't want to tame more ATM. But I prolly tame a new couple pets every couple days and never have a problem.
Above is a perfect example of how ridiculous the players get with their hoarding of pets. 40 plus?
Is there any way that this issue can be escalated? I appreciate your attention to this thread, Kaivan, but I feel that your bias towards era accuracy is clouding proper judgement, no offense.
If you're going to leave the rules lax for how many pets a player can have at any given time, does it make sense to restrict the stable space?
Honestly, Kaivan, I see that you use words like, "I understand" but do you really? Hop on in and try to stable the mount for a newbie character @ 724 gold a pop, that you cannot afford to lose, only to find out that you're stuck with it until Moppety decides to air out his/her space.

This is how I feel the conversation is going:
"But it's practical!"
"No"
"But it doesn't make any sense!"
"No"
"But we'll run out of air and die!"
"Nope"
"Your family is on that ship!!"
"No"

I, sincerely, hope that the inner politics don't state:
"We cannot reverse our decision on this matter after a mod has made that decision, for fear of making him look bad."
...while we continue this unnecessary struggle.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Azmo wrote:
Moppety wrote:Try different stable masters!, tbh with a rune book to all 7 stables you will find spots, even at the busier places. Never had a problem finding spots for 40+ pets and that's only so low because I don't want to tame more ATM. But I prolly tame a new couple pets every couple days and never have a problem.
Above is a perfect example of how ridiculous the players get with their hoarding of pets. 40 plus?
Is there any way that this issue can be escalated? I appreciate your attention to this thread, Kaivan, but I feel that your bias towards era accuracy is clouding proper judgement, no offense.
If you're going to leave the rules lax for how many pets a player can have at any given time, does it make sense to restrict the stable space?
Honestly, Kaivan, I see that you use words like, "I understand" but do you really? Hop on in and try to stable the mount for a newbie character @ 724 gold a pop, that you cannot afford to lose, only to find out that you're stuck with it until Moppety decides to air out his/her space.

This is how I feel the conversation is going:
"But it's practical!"
"No"
"But it doesn't make any sense!"
"No"
"But we'll run out of air and die!"
"Nope"
"Your family is on that ship!!"
"No"
I do understand.

I understand that from a new player's perspective, they can't stable a pet which they feel is important to be able to do. I understand that there is the perception that limited stable space causes problems resulting in the "haves" and "have nots". I understand that there is a perception that changing the mechanics will solve this problem and have no drawbacks.

However, I'm not sure if you understand that our main goal is mechanical accuracy to a certain point in the era, and that during the era there were limited stable spaces. I'm also not sure that you understand the implications of what you're asking when you ask for a special exception to the goal of the server for your own benefit and how it affects the perception of every other mechanic as a result.

Moppety

Post by Moppety »

:) 40 is quite low for a tamer in the current climet but anyways. ive just used my rune book now to look for stable slots
i havn't attempted to fill the guys up so no idea how many each guy has but

Skara: both stable masters have slots
Brit 1: 1 stable master has slots
Brit2: both stable masters have slots
Brit 3:1 stable master has slots
Minoc: both stable masters have slots
Serp 1:both stable masters have slots
Serp 2:both stable masters have slots
Trinsik 1: has 3 stable masters with slots
Trinsik 2: both stable masters have slots

this is right now as i write this, at prime server time! lets say 2-3 tamers are out farming that doesn't account for the 17 stable masters with slots currently.

yes you need to look/recall/gate to be able to use the stable system effectivly, but there is no problem with it. i too was worried when i started a tamer due to rumours but in actual game play there is no problem stabling pets.