Monsters casting posion

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Altec

Monsters casting posion

Post by Altec »

I dnt ever recall monsters casting posion or paralyze

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Monsters casting posion

Post by RoadKill »

Altec wrote:I dnt ever recall monsters casting posion or paralyze
I remember them using both.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Altec

Post by Altec »

Ive played since 99 on lake superior and i used to go to the lich room (undead fort) with my friend all the time and kill liches, and never got posioned or paralyzed. I remember when T2A came out because me and my cousin stayed up all night hoping we were gonna be able to place a house because all the room was taken. But as we all know you cant place houses in T2A. Anyway i def played before T2A came out and was never posioned or paralyzed by monsters.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Altec wrote:Ive played since 99 on lake superior and i used to go to the lich room (undead fort) with my friend all the time and kill liches, and never got posioned or paralyzed. I remember when T2A came out because me and my cousin stayed up all night hoping we were gonna be able to place a house because all the room was taken. But as we all know you cant place houses in T2A. Anyway i def played before T2A came out and was never posioned or paralyzed by monsters.
I played 1997-2002, on Lake Superior actually :)
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

platy

Post by platy »

Uhm, I bought my magery up to 30 on my dexer during this time specifically to be able to cast cure since I only had some 70 healing and anatomy while fighting liches in deceit.

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

unfortuanetly i'd have to agree.. monsters using poison spell and para was pretty much UOR.. Noticed this but never bothered to say anything. you used to be able to box monsters in with boxes and here an EV will track right through em
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Faust

Post by Faust »

There was a time in Ultima Online when monsters would only cast damaging spells. Magic arrow, harm, fireball, lightning, energy bolt, explosion, and flamestrike were the only spells that were casted. This is very apparent in the Ultima Online demo. However, we know that this changed for sure before the UOR publish for one key reason. Tamed White Wyrms could be trained high enough to cast mass curse. When paralyze and poison was added to the list of spells that could be casted by NPC's so was clumsy, feeblemind, weaken, curse, and mass curse. The majority of all harmful spells was added to this list.

I am not entirely positive on an official time line for this event to take place. My only assumption would be when they added the dispel spell to the list of spells casted by NPC's. This was the first "attempt" to make monster's smarter and adding a spell to their arsenal for sure. If this is the case this would have occurred late '98 after the release of t2a. This doesn't entirely mean this is when and how it took place. However, we do know that NPC's began casting debuffs during the t2a era for sure. I recollect poison and paralyze coming in during the same time when debuffs did.

Altec

Post by Altec »

I stick to what i said before, i played since 99, and i remember it was before T2A because my cousina nd I stayed up all night to try and place a house there. (maybe that as trammel now that i thinka bout it) anyway, i do recall that my friend and I would hit up the undead city all the time and never have a problem with posion or paralyze.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I remember a time, pre-T2A, where liches cast paralyze, back when taking damaged while paralyze didn't end it's effect. That was in 1997, maybe early-early 1998, pre Fame/karma system.

OSI did some goofy things, but I don't think they'd put in paralyze, then remove it, and then put it back in again.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Well paralyze wasn't used for sure before October of 1998 unless it was active and removed prior to the last compilation of the UO Demo.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I just started up a quick demo and spam attacked one of the mages inside the mage shop in Ocllo. It took a couple of restarts to give the NPC some mana to work with, but I eventually got one to cast paralyze (no poison, just paralyze). The interesting thing is that on the demo there is a nice animation of particles swirling around you when you're paralyzed. While I don't personally ever recall seeing that during late T2A, its an interesting effect to see.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Faust

Post by Faust »

Kaivan, what I remember from the swirling particles involving paralyze during t2a was when paralyze was resisted. There was a very, and I'm talking very, small chance to resist paralyze back then. When it did happen it would create the swirling particles effect instead of the normal effect. It was an interesting sight to see when it did happen.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I didn't receive the resist message when I was paralyzed, nor did I have high resist, but I'm not too terribly concerned with the specifics of that. All that I was looking for was a bit of evidence in either direction regarding poison and paralyze as spells that were cast by magic using spawn. It seems that NPC mages had the ability to cast at least paralyze which would suggest that anything else with sufficient magery could also cast paralyze as well. As for poison, I didn't get hit with it at all the entire time that I tested, and I was struck by several 3rd and 2nd circle spells.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Faust

Post by Faust »

aye, I'm not sure what would be the case in the Demo for this. I know paralyze effect was changed early on in t2a and so was resist. I just remember the particles always occurring when that amazing chance happened when it was resisted. It was kind of like the llama vortex phenomenon when it did occur.