Which houses are safe from the LOS bug?

Topics related to Second Age
Troubles[LoS]

Re: Which houses are safe from the LOS bug?

Post by Troubles[LoS] »

Once again, Kaivan Holmes has pointed out that many of the screenshots are just dumb players standing to close to walls, standing outside, etc. etc. I just like including them in my picture journals.

"Also, take the pictures that are posted of people being killed by this LoS behavior with a grain of salt, as only 1/3 of the deaths in the picture posted in this thread even required the use of that mechanic to kill the player."

I promise from now on, I will ONLY post 100% LoS behavior kill shots that require the use of "that mechanic" so that nobody gets confused.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

It's fine to post whatever screenshots you want as long as the material is not offensive, but its fair to point out that you're clearly trying to make an implication about the effect of this LoS with both the forum name, and the posts themselves, and it would be best served if the point were presented fairly.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Troubles[LoS]

Post by Troubles[LoS] »

Are you a mind reader? The only thing I'm doing is wandering around the world killing people inside and outside of their houses and posting screenshots. No "implication" that the LoS mechanic was responsible for all the deaths. If anything, by posting all the deaths it is helping some of our slower players figure out where to stand in their houses so they don't die so easily.

As far as the forum name, the guild is called Losers of Sosaria so the abbreviation is there. Not my fault LoS also stands for Line of Sight. I will make sure to start a new thread with just the line of sight kills so that we have no issues and the "point" is presented fairly.

Of course the "point" is.... "Unfortunately, to the best of our knowledge, this is accurate." I'd rather hear you say you are 100% positive, but that's just me.

I love you Derrick and UOSA!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Troubles[LoS] wrote:Are you a mind reader? The only thing I'm doing is wandering around the world killing people inside and outside of their houses and posting screenshots. No "implication" that the LoS mechanic was responsible for all the deaths. If anything, by posting all the deaths it is helping some of our slower players figure out where to stand in their houses so they don't die so easily.
Nope, no implications at all.
Troubles[LoS] wrote:Of course the "point" is.... "Unfortunately, to the best of our knowledge, this is accurate." I'd rather hear you say you are 100% positive, but that's just me.
Just so you know, historical information is rarely 100% positive, which is why we say it to the best of our knowledge. At this time, the best of our knowledge includes the demo LoS code, and identical results on live OSI servers.

Troubles[LoS]

Post by Troubles[LoS] »

How dare you bring up my super awesome thread of era accuracy! All this LoS is all in fun. I trust you did your homework and this mechanic is 100% exactly how it was back in the day we are trying to replicate. Even though, nobody remembers it happening, or saw it, or did it, or anything like that. But the demo is the demo and OSI is OSI. Let's keep on keeping on and enjoy UOSA for life!

Can we be friends now?

Blaine the Gypsy

Post by Blaine the Gypsy »

Just because something like this is era accurate doesn't mean it should remain in place. If that's going to be the case then have tamable cabbages and let me GM Taming from home. Being stuck in an era is enough but not to have growth or change is something it was originally for. t2a was not ment to be b2a bugs second age.
UOSA: Village of Paws - Gypsy Tribe of Spirituality - "Ignavus"
UO: LS guilds [Red] [Rx2] [OMEN] HC member/co-creator
Drach wGt Gypsy Village

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Blaine the Gypsy wrote:Just because something like this is era accurate doesn't mean it should remain in place.
Quite the contrary, that is exactly the reason why it should stay in place, lest the tenet of the shard be thought unfounded and only a sham.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Blaine the Gypsy wrote:Just because something like this is era accurate doesn't mean it should remain in place.
Oh he went there.
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

Troubles[LoS]

Post by Troubles[LoS] »

Hope this helps! Don't want to confuse anyone out there. Slow night....

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

If every house decorator made the effort not to lockdown chairs and tables by walls then maybe the amount of AFK deaths would decrease!

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

I really like the house killing.. keep it up!
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Elph

Post by Elph »

Kaivan wrote:
Halbu wrote:We have to endure so many bad mechanics due to accuracy, and this is hardly even accurate.
Unfortunately, to the best of our knowledge, this is accurate.

Also, take the pictures that are posted of people being killed by this LoS behavior with a grain of salt, as only 1/3 of the deaths in the picture posted in this thread even required the use of that mechanic to kill the player.

It may be accurate, but so would duping. People who come to this server and become aware of such a bug will probably look unfavorably on the fact that there is little reason to advance in this game beyond a small house. I don't own a tower, keep, or castle, and I think it's pretty senseless to save a bug like this. Almost as senseless as it would be to save duping.

Some bugs are quirky and don't affect the enjoyability of the game, nor allow for actions which are at first sight not reasonably possible. Duping and LOS bugs that break the usual mechanics of the game do not make sense to preserve. My 2gp

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

Here we can see an example of dogma destroying!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Elph wrote:
Kaivan wrote:
Halbu wrote:We have to endure so many bad mechanics due to accuracy, and this is hardly even accurate.
Unfortunately, to the best of our knowledge, this is accurate.

Also, take the pictures that are posted of people being killed by this LoS behavior with a grain of salt, as only 1/3 of the deaths in the picture posted in this thread even required the use of that mechanic to kill the player.

It may be accurate, but so would duping. People who come to this server and become aware of such a bug will probably look unfavorably on the fact that there is little reason to advance in this game beyond a small house. I don't own a tower, keep, or castle, and I think it's pretty senseless to save a bug like this. Almost as senseless as it would be to save duping.

Some bugs are quirky and don't affect the enjoyability of the game, nor allow for actions which are at first sight not reasonably possible. Duping and LOS bugs that break the usual mechanics of the game do not make sense to preserve. My 2gp
While I understand the perspective, LoS stands aside from duping in a couple of ways. First, we have no knowledge about whether OSI considered it an exploit or not. In that regard, as far as we have been able to tell, the base LoS mechanics are identical on OSI servers today to what they were on the demo, which doesn't give a strong case for its comparison to duping. Second, duping - unlike LoS - is a ripple effect issue that penetrates virtually every other interaction in game, whereas LoS only effects some of the larger houses and is far less "damaging". Ultimately LoS is in the same arena as 'hally cycling' or double hits in terms of effect on game play (although I don't think we have conclusive evidence for hally cycling, but that's a different issue), both of which were not intended to be in game, and have about as wide of an impact on the game as LoS does.