Completely new UO player

Topics related to Second Age
DemiAlex

Completely new UO player

Post by DemiAlex »

Hey everyone, hope you guys have had a good week so far!

I'm very interested in starting UO for the first time, the last Ultima game I've played was one of the 3d ports, I think it was Asencions, and I've bought Ultima 7 on GOG and have played it rather briefly.

I'm quite lost on where to start. I was thinking about starting on the retail server, however I have heard that UO is rather "dead" due to some major changes implemented a couple of years ago. What started the decline of retail UO? What was the biggest change that transformed UO from unique to generic?

I'm looking for a server that provides the best of UO, and I've heard some very good things about Second Age.

My question is, for someone who is extremely interested in starting UO, is Second age the right place to start? Opinions aside, looking from a strictly neutral point of view, does SA provide the experience of the "classic" UO?

If this is in the wrong section of the forums, I apologize. Eagerness gets the best of me sometimes :twisted:

Pac

Re: Completely new UO player

Post by Pac »

To me UO died with Origin, and EA started molding into something that just wasn't Ultima anymore. Personally I quit shortly after Age of Shadows came out but had pretty much given up hope long before then.

DemiAlex

Post by DemiAlex »

Pac wrote:To me UO died with Origin, and EA started molding into something that just wasn't Ultima anymore. Personally I quit shortly after Age of Shadows came out but had pretty much given up hope long before then.
Considering what you just said, does SA provide a closer "vanilla" experience for UO?

Causa Mortis

Post by Causa Mortis »

It's goal is to be mechanically accurate to the time frame of t2a. So yes, no bells and whistles just UO.
What started the decline of retail UO? What was the biggest change that transformed UO from unique to generic?
Many will argue that the steady stream of additions that geared towards the "carebear" players, was the downfall. Creating a facet where they were completely safe from mischievous players ruined the cut-throat experience uo had in the beginning. Fear of reds/thieves/losing your items on death, are things we all experienced and what gave the game its fun. Those moments of surprise when reds would run up, the giddiness of getting away with a good steal. Always looking over your shoulder and the ability to just do whatever, seemed to disappear at the invent of blessed weapons, no reagant cost clothing, ability to cast spells with a weapons equipped, additional "safe" facets, are all reasons why people lost interest in live uo.

As a freeshard standpoint I believe, that here, you can expect the game to be that old style. The community is diverse, you will meet some great people , and also some people you will come to dislike, but that's what keeps things interesting.

Whatever you decide I hope you can find something you enjoy playing because in the end that's what its all about.
IRC = Tater
[url=irc://irc.wildirc.net:6667/new]#new[/url] <--- new player assistance IRC channel

Pac

Post by Pac »

DemiAlex wrote:
Pac wrote:To me UO died with Origin, and EA started molding into something that just wasn't Ultima anymore. Personally I quit shortly after Age of Shadows came out but had pretty much given up hope long before then.
Considering what you just said, does SA provide a closer "vanilla" experience for UO?
Yes UOSA is great, very much like good-UO.

DemiAlex

Post by DemiAlex »

Causa Mortis wrote:It's goal is to be mechanically accurate to the time frame of t2a. So yes, no bells and whistles just UO.
What started the decline of retail UO? What was the biggest change that transformed UO from unique to generic?
Many will argue that the steady stream of additions that geared towards the "carebear" players, was the downfall. Creating a facet where they were completely safe from mischievous players ruined the cut-throat experience uo had in the beginning. Fear of reds/thieves/losing your items on death, are things we all experienced and what gave the game its fun. Those moments of surprise when reds would run up, the giddiness of getting away with a good steal. Always looking over your shoulder and the ability to just do whatever, seemed to disappear at the invent of blessed weapons, no reagant cost clothing, ability to cast spells with a weapons equipped, additional "safe" facets, are all reasons why people lost interest in live uo.

As a freeshard standpoint I believe, that here, you can expect the game to be that old style. The community is diverse, you will meet some great people , and also some people you will come to dislike, but that's what keeps things interesting.

Whatever you decide I hope you can find something you enjoy playing because in the end that's what its all about.

Thanks for the reply, this was the answer I was looking for.

I hope SA isn't dead? I started a new character on Vesper and I have yet to meet a single player.

Orion GM B^D

Post by Orion GM B^D »

DemiAlex wrote:
Causa Mortis wrote:It's goal is to be mechanically accurate to the time frame of t2a. So yes, no bells and whistles just UO.

I hope SA isn't dead? I started a new character on Vesper and I have yet to meet a single player.
UOSA is far from dead!!

Visit other cities and you will find people.

IMO you have made a great choice choosing UOSA!!

Its old school UO at its finest!!

Enjoy!!
WiseOne wrote:I don't log on often, but when I do, I shop at Trinny Stone Vendors!
Trinny Stone Vendors
@Trinsic Moongate/Est. 6-2-12

DemiAlex

Post by DemiAlex »

Orion GM B^D wrote:
DemiAlex wrote:

UOSA is far from dead!!

Visit other cities and you will find people.

IMO you have made a great choice choosing UOSA!!

Its old school UO at its finest!!

Enjoy!!

Ah that's so good to hear! Glad I chose SA for the old school experience.

Already died 3 times in 30 minutes, love it :lol:

Blaine the Gypsy

Post by Blaine the Gypsy »

That ain't workin' that's the way you do it...
UOSA: Village of Paws - Gypsy Tribe of Spirituality - "Ignavus"
UO: LS guilds [Red] [Rx2] [OMEN] HC member/co-creator
Drach wGt Gypsy Village

Orion GM B^D

Post by Orion GM B^D »

Here is a link to some great info that will ease your experience here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=36806

Also I would be glad to lend a hand, along with a few other people here.

Just ask :-)
WiseOne wrote:I don't log on often, but when I do, I shop at Trinny Stone Vendors!
Trinny Stone Vendors
@Trinsic Moongate/Est. 6-2-12

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Aye, welcome to the shard. This server provides a great replica of how the world was back in circa 1999ish.
There are plenty of players, good and bad, and that guide Pirul wrote should be able to help anyone along their way (if they can get through it all :P).

If you're in doubt and need help in short order, hit the link in the top left corner of the forums for 'Open IRC Chat Window' and just ask. Plenty of helpful people in there. You can also use the /j #NEW command in IRC to join the channel for the #NEW guild, that's sole purpose is helping new players get off their feet and get established in the lands.

While what exactly is 'the best of UO' is completely subjective, this is/was a great time in UO history. To put it simply, as I have before, this is the best RPG ever created due to the non-consentual Player vs Player mechanics. I'm not a big PvP guy, but the fact that I can be assaulted at random out of guard zones, is what appeals to me. The 'risk' factor when playing how I like to play (mostly PvM with parties), is what keeps UO alive in my heart.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

DemiAlex

Post by DemiAlex »

Thanks for the replies, I feel a little less lost now.

Are there any guilds centered on helping newbies/or are newbie friendly?

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

DemiAlex wrote:Thanks for the replies, I feel a little less lost now.

Are there any guilds centered on helping newbies/or are newbie friendly?
Join the IRC Chat (upper left) and then join the channel, #new.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Blaise wrote: If you're in doubt and need help in short order, hit the link in the top left corner of the forums for 'Open IRC Chat Window' and just ask. Plenty of helpful people in there. You can also use the /j #NEW command in IRC to join the channel for the #NEW guild, that's sole purpose is helping new players get off their feet and get established in the lands.
I know I tend to talk so much people just block it out, like my children, but really.....here's the answer to your question you posed immediately after my reply.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Xandorf

Post by Xandorf »

Welcome to the shard. Have fun!
Swill Bag wrote:no pics, it didnt happen. i know how you roll you prolly cheated with dp vanq weapons
OZZY'S & Old Navy's PvP Supply Shop
Company of the Vigilant C^V