Mace fighting and magery

Topics related to Second Age
Shadow_Nirvana

Mace fighting and magery

Post by Shadow_Nirvana »

I am a bit of a noob to the whole original "T2A" scene, although I have been playing what you would call sphere UO shards for a long time. Sphere is I guess T2A with some changes.

One of the things there were on sphere shards, was that your black staff or quarter staff wouldn't be unequipped if you used magic. Is it the same here?

And another question can someone comment on this template?
Swordsmanship 100
Anatomy 100
Tactics 100
Magery 90
Healing 90
Resist 90
Medi 80
Evaluating 50

Str 95 - dex 80 - int 50

If the staff thing is like that, do you guys think that I should get mace fighting instead of swordsmanship? 'Cause it seems to me like that, stamina drain is pretty dope against both PVP and PVM.

jimm1432

Re: Mace fighting and magery

Post by jimm1432 »

I think all weapons require disarming to cast, you can precast and rearm but once again you need to disarm to release the spell.

personally i would drop the eval int and go 7xgm. or drop the med and go gm eval int depanding on your play style. if you only using magery for buffs/heals gate/recall etc then evalint wouldnt be needed.

Shadow_Nirvana

Post by Shadow_Nirvana »

I thought eval int made buffs stronger, can some one clarify this?

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

Shadow_Nirvana wrote:I thought eval int made buffs stronger, can some one clarify this?
Only magery effects debuff strength.
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Go mace, ditch med, and go GM on the others you've got. I've fussed around with that template and it seems like the best option for a hybrid. You'd think it'd be a survivable temp with the combination of healing and magery, but at 90 of each they really suffer. Also, you'll find that 80 med isn't as fast as you'll need it to be in order to heal through all the damage you'll be taking without armor and no wrestle. Suit up like a dexer, lead off with a harm/weaken, and then hold an ebolt till you staff them down to 20%.

Most people don't take the template seriously, and I've found they're much more lax with their heals since they're not worried about healing beyond the damage range of a large hally swing.

Pro Edit: Bandage self cancels a held spell. Remember that...
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Shadow_Nirvana

Post by Shadow_Nirvana »

okay cool. but just to be clear, what you are saying is a PVP build isn't it? how well will it fare PVMing?

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

i am going to ahead and disagree with the part about 90 mage and 90 or 80 med and struggling with it. it really depends what circle spells your casting a'lot and as far as med goes you can easily use 80 med effectively yes your passive regen rate is slightly slower then at 100 but if you actively med at the right % you will never fail to med.
id go swords or mace / anatomy/ healing/ tactics / resist / wrestling(as i don't want to get interupted in a pvp situation if am forced to recall at close range or while ghealing and other situational type stuff ) /magery gm i would go 95 95 35 and use blessing items or cunning items on dress agent +full pots and geared to the teeth with reflection invis teleport items gheal staves lighting items explode pots .but i am not a fan of med warriors the staves work nice if your using maces to as its the same weapon skill your using
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Shadow_Nirvana

Post by Shadow_Nirvana »

I like the build, it will give me enough buff and heal power to be effective but without the medi how will I fare in a long winded fight?

iamreallysquall

Shadow_Nirvana wrote:I like the build, it will give me enough buff and heal power to be effective but without the medi how will I fare in a long winded fight?
gheal pots + bandaids ocasional gheal spell really shouldnt need to use much mana or like i said gheal staves with charges cost 0 mana

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I like to do without the wrestle on dexers with magery because you can use invis/teleport/mr items to escape if need be, and casting is just as easy as waiting until the tank mage newb you're fighting disarms his hally. If it's dex v. dex there really isn't any need to cast except for maybe a G-heal before you engage them if you must. If you have awesome armor, an awesome weapon, and a keg of explosion pots in your bag, most other dexers cant scratch you. You can always run quite far, and if you really need to escape it's only a matter of finding a small house nearby (oh and they are nearby, stupid house hording newbs!) that's open and running inside chopping a wood box with 2 or 3 candlabras in it at the door frame.

For reference though, 80 mage works pretty good to simply cast defensive spells and buffs. 90 mage is better, will heal more damage, and you won't fizzle a gate 20 times in a row. It also opens up the possibility for you to reliably cast meteor (with a scroll) without fizzling. Which is probably one of the best openers you can do if you got the mana for it (Bless yourself etc). It goes through magic reflect, does not use evaluating intelligence, and will do the same damage a flamestrike can do if you manage to target only 1 target with it. Flamestrike + dexer chasing tossing explode pots.....

You basically need at least 35-40 magery on a dexer if you hope to recall with any efficiency using a scroll, so I don't see why you wouldn't just go a little bit more and be able to cast reflect/gate/meteor/etc.

Weapon/tactics/anatomy/healing/resist <-should usually always be gm on a dexer.

Then either:
GM mage GM med 100/30/90 (use G.dex pots)
90 mage 70 med 40 tracking 100/30/90...
30 mage 80 Hide 90 Stealth (but you might hate this one if you are bad at the game)

If you can't afford to play with a ton of invis/reflect/tele items then imreallysquall is absolutely right, get wrestle or you will be PK bait.

Some people also like these for some reason:
GM mage GM eval (why when you have low mana and there is meteor! and explore pots..)
GM mage GM archery (but archery is super lame now)
GM Poison GM mage (This one is good, but fights are short, and DP can be cured by a store potion, but for an understocked person, it works great)
GM Parry GM(poison/mage/other) I don't care for parry as it's basically only good vs fighting high end monsters, which have a low gold-per-second for dexers anyway. Come on now, you aren't going to farm the ancient wyrm for profit. It's crap vs anything but other dexers, which again, you can just out-gear and explode-pot to death, or hit them with the meteor...

iamreallysquall

entirely agree about MS , Chain lighting works the same way

Shadow_Nirvana

Post by Shadow_Nirvana »

okay cool.
Well, this is sort of my first fighter character here on UOSA so I think I'll need wrestling until I get some basics figured out. That being said...

Swordsmanship 100
Tactics 100
Resist 90
Magery 90
Healing 90
Anatomy 85
Medi 80
Wrestling 75

how about this? I don't think 85 anatomy will hurt either my damage or healing that much. as for 75 wrestling, it makes a 100 combat skill guy hit you with %60 accuracy which is just %10 worse than 100 wrestling.I am a bit precautious about both 90 healing and 90 resist though.

iamreallysquall

Shadow_Nirvana wrote:okay cool.
Well, this is sort of my first fighter character here on UOSA so I think I'll need wrestling until I get some basics figured out. That being said...

Swordsmanship 100
Tactics 100
Resist 90
Magery 90
Healing 90
Anatomy 85
Medi 80
Wrestling 75

how about this? I don't think 85 anatomy will hurt either my damage or healing that much. as for 75 wrestling, it makes a 100 combat skill guy hit you with %60 accuracy which is just %10 worse than 100 wrestling.I am a bit precautious about both 90 healing and 90 resist though.
Weapon/tactics/anatomy/healing/resist <-should usually always be gm on a dexer. entirely agree with her id lose the meditation also 90 is the lowest id ever let my wrestling go if i had it

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

You need to GM healing. While both healing and anatomy add to the damage healed, the healing skill is what determines if you fail or not, and it gives more healed damage per point than anatomy. If you have less than 100 points to put into healing and anatomy, always put as much as you can into healing first.

PS: 90 wrestle is the lowest I will go on a mage, but 80 wrestle will be okay for a dexer who wrestles since you can afford to take a bit more damage than the mage can (you have armor on presumable, or you can run an equip macro while running and looking for a place to recall).

Shadow_Nirvana

Post by Shadow_Nirvana »

Swordsmanship 100 - - - - for easy weapon finding and poisoning the weapons to aggravate mages

Tactics 100 - - - - obviously

Magery 90 - - - - this seems to be able to give %100 succes in 6th circle spells(without scrolls) and 8th circle spells (with scrolls)

Healing 95 - - - - gonna try to make this 100.

Resist 90 - - - - doesn't effect the average damage that much although I will lose %10 chance in resisting an EB.

Anatomy 80 - - - - 100 anatomy- 100 healing gives 43-80 heal points, while 80 anatomy- 100 healing gives 39-76, so I guess not that big of a deal. And the %4 damage bonus... I think I can do without.

Meditation 80 - - - - I need this for the passive medit it gives while I'm PVPing or PVMing. Now, I know that both you guys are gonna think I'm an idiot for pressing about meditation so much, but this character will be my adventurer and only fighter character.(except maybe for a bard I'll try to build.)
This being said I will both PvP and PvM on this character so won't the meditation help me during those dungeon runs where I'll need to cast summons, or during a semi long fight which I'll need one more gheal etc.

Wrestling 75 - - - - 75 wrestling gives %40 block, while 100 wrestling gives %50, so I guess it's enough