siege perilous

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
ninjaijk

Re: siege perilous

Post by ninjaijk »

one character,no macro,player-driven economy,no recall...are great to bring ppl to actually play the game,and offers true variety to it.away from the macro-grind-tournament routine (wich,btw,is not era accurate).

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

had 3 characters on SP :P
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Bicchus Dicchus

Post by Bicchus Dicchus »

I liked the Good vs Evil PVP system

-Bicchus Dicchus, bumping old threads so he can say his piece

Valhoppen

Post by Valhoppen »

I actually visited that shard when it first started it was way interesting and entertaining. However, the stress of having my skill go up around what 5 minutes? That is pretty harsh. The whole thing was harsh and too slow for build up in my taste. However, it was interesting because everyone seemed to be working together. For the first time I saw players packed near Britian hitting dummies. I tried it but it was way way boring and time consuming. I also remember going back after the visit a couple of years after and was killed in town by a wandering healer that was NPK and I called guards but they never came. Also, I called guards on some greys and reds and that went well too.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Siege was awesome, you just didn't understand how everyone used the RoT skill system. Macro like normal to the 70s, then you never had to macro again. You were basically promised x number of gains after 70, which, while making the time to GM longer, it also removed much stress associated with the random "please let me gain" mechanics.

Reds in town on siege worked just like criminals do on uosa, only they can open a bank provided they aren't criminal themselves.

I don't think the limited character slots would hold up well in todays "I need to have 15 7x GM tank mages all with slightly different names!" world though. Everyone will say "well when I played on Siege I had 5 accounts..", which is largely BS. I played with a really serious group, and I knew only a handful of people that had 2 accounts, myself included. Many characters on Siege were not 7x, because it was not ABSOLUTELY required for omgleetpvp.

Much of the Siege pvp took place in dungeons, especially if some reds showed up in one, everyone would go to the dungeon to fight. The Good/Evil system was basically just order/chaos for the most part, not a great many even took place in it, since there was no statloss, PvP could be had in any dungeon and your opponent couldn't simply recall.

On siege people actually bought/sold/traded/mined/farmed/whatever between eachother. Regs were like 9+gp each!! You wouldn't even think about buying anything from any of those greedy little npcs unless you were a blacksmith/tinkerer and simply ran out of ingots and needed a tinker tool to make some.

It was a refreshingly different take on the standard UO ruleset, and I think that (at the time) many people simply didn't understand some of it's nuances. There was also a monumental RP community on siege, that actually interacted with the pvpers and crafters and such. One of the largest guilds there was an undead RP guild, and they were some of the top competitors in PvP. Unlike many other shards, where the RP people just sort of, do their own thing out in the woods somewhere with a GM blessed village.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

I would start playing on a daily basis again if a siege shard started.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Valhoppen

Post by Valhoppen »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Siege was awesome, you just didn't understand how everyone used the RoT skill system. Macro like normal to the 70s, then you never had to macro again. You were basically promised x number of gains after 70, which, while making the time to GM longer, it also removed much stress associated with the random "please let me gain" mechanics.

Reds in town on siege worked just like criminals do on uosa, only they can open a bank provided they aren't criminal themselves.

I don't think the limited character slots would hold up well in todays "I need to have 15 7x GM tank mages all with slightly different names!" world though. Everyone will say "well when I played on Siege I had 5 accounts..", which is largely BS. I played with a really serious group, and I knew only a handful of people that had 2 accounts, myself included. Many characters on Siege were not 7x, because it was not ABSOLUTELY required for omgleetpvp.

Much of the Siege pvp took place in dungeons, especially if some reds showed up in one, everyone would go to the dungeon to fight. The Good/Evil system was basically just order/chaos for the most part, not a great many even took place in it, since there was no statloss, PvP could be had in any dungeon and your opponent couldn't simply recall.

On siege people actually bought/sold/traded/mined/farmed/whatever between eachother. Regs were like 9+gp each!! You wouldn't even think about buying anything from any of those greedy little npcs unless you were a blacksmith/tinkerer and simply ran out of ingots and needed a tinker tool to make some.

It was a refreshingly different take on the standard UO ruleset, and I think that (at the time) many people simply didn't understand some of it's nuances. There was also a monumental RP community on siege, that actually interacted with the pvpers and crafters and such. One of the largest guilds there was an undead RP guild, and they were some of the top competitors in PvP. Unlike many other shards, where the RP people just sort of, do their own thing out in the woods somewhere with a GM blessed village.
Well you're right. I did not understand the mechanics of the game at the time. But that doesn't mean I wasn't impressed by it because I was. If I knew earlier and had the dedication I would have done that shard more. I have visited and played a lot of shards during my tenure at UO. I played both Napa and Sonoma, Legends, of course Test Center all the time during UO:R because UO sucked during that period and Volunteer Shard. None of them were as unique and cool as Siege Perilous.

But I want to add that turning this shard into Siege is a bad idea because this is the only shard that is the best T2A you can ever have. I think someone else should make a Siege shard it will happen eventually.

shard

Post by shard »

Siege rule set would be so nice, I was just thinking that today then i saw this thread.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Siege Perilous was great. It required actual player interaction to accomplish anything. That's what happens when you have to pick one character. I think that was part of why the original UO was so great. Most of the players hadn't maxed out all their characters so that they didn't have to rely on other players. They still had to work together. Siege Perilous accomplished that dynamic, but through different means.

Alas, you'll never see Siege Perilous here.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I was a stealth thief/tinkerer on siege with fencing for a good year before I finally got another account.