House Deed Prices Should Vary Based on Vendor Inventory

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Telamon

House Deed Prices Should Vary Based on Vendor Inventory

Post by Telamon »

In 1999 you were able to buy out a vendors inventory which would cause the vendor to reduce his prices for the items he sold. For instance in this picture you can see the vendor currently has zero tower deeds in stock resulting in a price of 385,960 gold or an 11% discount. For the 2 story deed also pictured with 9 available the price was also reduced.

We used to use this trick to obtain the cheapest deeds possible when placing and selling houses. I still have a castle on Baja today listing an original deed price in the 880k range.

Even if you claim this was from faction price adjustments the math does not make sense, even if my picture date is incorrect as factions could only reduce prices by 5,10,15,20,25,30%

I would be interested to know what some testing in the beta shows. Also this explains the reason why you must appraise/drag a deed to a vendor rather than selling it because even in 1999 the price of house deeds could vary, otherwise why not use the standard vendor sell mechanism. Unless of course the prices could vary.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Re: House Deed Prices Should Vary Based on Vendor Inventory

Post by son »

This is bc of factions and you are out of your element.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The variance in base prices for items has been known for some time, and we have available screenshots from other sources that show different prices in different regions of the game for each type of house (although, less inventory did not reduce prices but brought them up on items other than house deeds which remained the same in the given region). Batlin has the most information on this subject, as this information is contained in the core of the demo, although at last word he had not investigated the specifics of the information (although, apparently, it is rather complex).

If, and hopefully when, we have complete information on this function, we will do our best to implement it successfully.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Thanks for the Info Kaivan.
son wrote:This is bc of factions and you are out of your element.
This screenshot was well before factions was added. And as Kaivan stated this was well known, I never really understood how it worked on OSI in 99 but I knew if a bunch of us got together and bought at least 10 deeds(same type) the price for the deeds would drop around 11-14%. Allowing us all to cash in our deeds elsewhere and come back and buy the cheaper deeds in this shop. You only ever got what you paid for house deeds, but you could get some more affordable ones for house placement.

qazwsx

Post by qazwsx »

Sounds to me like you want to resurrect that exploit where you could buy and sell house deeds to NPCs and get a net gain in gold.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The exploit where you could purchase and sell house deeds at a net gain was brought about during UOR, which led to the subsequent change where you were returned 80% of the value of a purchased deed, or the original buy price. During T2A, it was not possible to buy and sell house deeds at a profit by simply purchasing them in regions that were cheaper, and selling them in regions that were more expensive.

qazwsx

Post by qazwsx »

How do you know it was brought about during UOR? I think that is referring to something different than the faction tax bug.

That is why it says this part:
shopkeepers will no longer inflate the prices of their inventory
Because they do not want people to abuse the same bug on any other smaller price item for smaller but still free gains.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Inflated price has nothing to do with the return price on house deeds. The original sale price of a house deed is known at the time it is sold back to a vendor, which prevents any player from milking the system. There are posts to this effect on the newsgroups which confirm that this is not possible to do.

Also, the bug which did allow you to acquire an increased profit on selling house deeds was related to faction towns and taxes.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

Judging from that pick you have your bank box open. Was that possible to do at the carpentry store?

Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Ulfrigg wrote:Judging from that pick you have your bank box open. Was that possible to do at the carpentry store?
The bank either didnt close automatically like it does on UOSA or It was some trick of UOExtreme. Don't remember for sure, but I have a lot of pictures with my bank open in various places from Sept/Oct 1999.

In my house with the bank open.

At the bank, same container (at first I thought I was carrying a metal chest). Notice the lack of runebooks.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This is likely a UOE exploit as the demo client which pre-dates the T2A release automatically closes your bank box upon turning in any direction.

Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Kaivan wrote:This is likely a UOE exploit as the demo client which pre-dates the T2A release automatically closes your bank box upon turning in any direction.
Yea in the pre UO Assist days, was fairly common to use. Mainly for the health display of your targets. I do remember being able to target my runes in the bank like a portable rune library.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Prevent container auto-close. Everyone used it as a portable rune library.

Faust

Post by Faust »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Prevent container auto-close. Everyone used it as a portable rune library.
+1 :wink:

Daemonne

Post by Daemonne »

Telamon wrote:Thanks for the Info Kaivan.
son wrote:This is bc of factions and you are out of your element.
This screenshot was well before factions was added. And as Kaivan stated this was well known, I never really understood how it worked on OSI in 99 but I knew if a bunch of us got together and bought at least 10 deeds(same type) the price for the deeds would drop around 11-14%. Allowing us all to cash in our deeds elsewhere and come back and buy the cheaper deeds in this shop. You only ever got what you paid for house deeds, but you could get some more affordable ones for house placement.

That would kind of kill the whole Buy this house for Deed + $$k wouldn't it? When you went to cash the deed in (which I guess people do as its safer than traveling with gold) just how much are you going to get from the deed? The current vendor price or how much someone paid for the house deed?
Can you see cashing in a tower deed that someone traded for a tower sold only to find that instead of you getting top dollar, you get like 800kish?
Can you Item ID the deed with GM ID or a wand and get the price that was paid for it?