Suggestion - Acceptable Character Names

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Suggestion - Acceptable Character Names

Post by EVeee »

In actual T2A I tried once to create a character named The Swedish Chef. The game told me it was an unacceptable name. I paged a GM who came and told me that any name containing a reference to nationality was disallowed. True to era, I cannot create The Swedish Chef on UOSA either.

However, considering that UOSA has always allowed names that would have merited an instant account ban in actual T2A (for a miniscule sample search Myuosa for "anal", or this - http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/109885), I'm suggesting/asking that the built-in block against names containing nationality be removed. Thank you.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Suggestion - Acceptable Character Names

Post by Blaise »

Ok but some of those are hilarious....

I think Derrick and/or GMs will nerf some unsavory names into Generic Player, I thought. Either that, or there's over 100+ 'Generic Player' character names here for some other reason.

Report it, if you find it particularly offensive. :P
Est Sularus oth Mithas

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

Blaise wrote:Ok but some of those are hilarious....

I think Derrick and/or GMs will nerf some unsavory names into Generic Player, I thought. Either that, or there's over 100+ 'Generic Player' character names here for some other reason.

really racist names yeah pretty much i have reported plenty of names and seen them changed to generic player
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

Blaise wrote:Ok but some of those are hilarious....

I didn't know that was ever done. It's interesting. But I'm just trying to get them to allow harmless things like Swedish Chef, not get offensive names taken out. I just brought up names that would have been disallowed in-era to make a logical point; none of them bother me.

Vhyx

Post by Vhyx »

If you can handle not having a space in the name, you can get around the "no nationality in a name" blocker.

Not the ideal solution to your request, perhaps, but it works.

Hythloth Tower for Sale. Contact Boondock_Saint via PMs because it's his and not mine. Azheman will broker the deal, naked.

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

Seriously robbb, grow up man
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

The problem with allowing nationalities in character names is that while 'The Swedish Chef' is funny and harmless, where do you draw the line? I hardly think it's fair to ask Derrick to waste his time coming up with a complicated system that allows nationalities, with an additional list of contextual situations in which they are not acceptable.

For example, if it was not automatically prevented, what's to stop some idiot creating a character named ie; 'African Scum' ?
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

chainsoar wrote:The problem with allowing nationalities in character names is that while 'The Swedish Chef' is funny and harmless, where do you draw the line? I hardly think it's fair to ask Derrick to waste his time coming up with a complicated system that allows nationalities, with an additional list of contextual situations in which they are not acceptable.

For example, if it was not automatically prevented, what's to stop some idiot creating a character named ie; 'African Scum' ?
Good question - here's the answer, it's two part.

First, I'd say that anyone who wants to name a character something like "African Scum" will undoubtedly find something derogatory to use for a name whether there's a block on nationalities or not. I'm sure I don't need to give examples of racially insulting names that are either currently in use or would be allowed under the current system.

Second, as several people pointed out, UOSA staff will respond to complaints about offensive character names and remove them. There isn't currently a list of approved or disapproved names, it's just governed by good taste and judgement. Staff draws the line now; the same thing would still be true if they allowed nationalities in names.

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

Certainly, I've reported any number of overtly racist or offensive character names, but that takes time out of Derrick's day. This suggestion would ultimately create more work for him.

(Plus the current system is era accurate!)
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

chainsoar wrote:Certainly, I've reported any number of overtly racist or offensive character names, but that takes time out of Derrick's day. This suggestion would ultimately create more work for him.

(Plus the current system is era accurate!)
It's a matter of opinion but I don't think it would create any more work for the staff. People who create reportable names will do it either way, change or no. People who don't do this wouldn't suddenly start for no reason. I think any misuse would just be different, not additional.

And the current system is really only half era accurate at best, which is why I felt alright about bringing this up. Non-racist curse word character names were reportable in era. They were considered offensive just by the words that were used, not the context in which they were used. Not so here. And violating the rules was punished harshly. In era I knew a guy who had played since early 98, had several 7xGM characters, loads of treasure and rares, and he got his account banned without a warning or question for creating a new character named 'a gook'. They didn't give people a 'Generic Player' back then.

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

EVeee wrote:In actual T2A I tried once to create a character named The Swedish Chef. The game told me it was an unacceptable name. I paged a GM who came and told me that any name containing a reference to nationality was disallowed. True to era, I cannot create The Swedish Chef on UOSA either.
Oddly enough, I was just able to create The American Pig (was going for President, but too long).
Did Sweden lobby Richard Garriot for special treatment in UO???

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

Wonko the Sane wrote:Oddly enough, I was just able to create The American Pig (was going for President, but too long).
Did Sweden lobby Richard Garriot for special treatment in UO???
Haha, I never tried to make a char with any other nationality in the name... I just assumed they were ALL disallowed. How unfair :evil:

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

So, GMs, if you're reading this, can this racist element of code be removed? Either ban all or ban none?