Bridged Towers Question

Topics related to Second Age
the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Bridged Towers Question

Post by the bazookas »

Howdy,

So we got these house spots where we could technically put up 4 bridged towers side by side. Thought it might be a great place for some events & what-not. However, after I thought about it some more, it occurred to me that the only way to cross over bridged towers is to first have the contents of both towers loaded into your client, and the only way to do that is to somehow step into / onto each house. This works ok with 2 towers if you just step on both doorsteps, but even if you did step on all 4 doorsteps, the off-screen ones would unload from your client.

Is there a way to remotely load the contents of a tower without stepping on it, or to otherwise work-around this problem that will prevent this amazing arena from becoming a reality?

Thanks!
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Bridged Towers Question

Post by Light Shade »

the bazookas wrote:Howdy,

So we got these house spots where we could technically put up 4 bridged towers side by side. Thought it might be a great place for some events & what-not. However, after I thought about it some more, it occurred to me that the only way to cross over bridged towers is to first have the contents of both towers loaded into your client, and the only way to do that is to somehow step into / onto each house. This works ok with 2 towers if you just step on both doorsteps, but even if you did step on all 4 doorsteps, the off-screen ones would unload from your client.

Is there a way to remotely load the contents of a tower without stepping on it, or to otherwise work-around this problem that will prevent this amazing arena from becoming a reality?

Thanks!
This is one of those things about UOSA that always puzzled me. I thought that, in Era, houses would stay cached once they were loaded by the client. (There was a max number that would unload the houses as a FIFO...or so I thought.) Here the client "forgets" about them rather quickly. I know it can lead to lag issues and whatnot if you have all of the items "loaded", but I would think that was more of an issue in 1998 than it is today.

Perhaps a 'tweak' of the range to "unload" could be done so that houses that are bridged in this manner would no longer have this issue? Along with that, Mr. the bazookas, I would ask about the client "forgetting" what was loaded when people die. This would be an issue with events where people are dying all the time...as I know i've personally had this issue with Events that I have run or hosted.

-L/S
Last edited by Light Shade on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Random

Post by Random »

You tried to play with the : " Cache this many houses on client " option in your paperdoll ?

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Random wrote:You tried to play with the : " Cache this many houses on client " option in your paperdoll ?
A good idea; Unfortunately, I just tried the maximum 1000 and it appears that when you run off-screen about 1.5 screens it still unloads all the items in the house.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)