Animals/Monsters Moving Too Fast

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Animals/Monsters Moving Too Fast

Post by EVeee »

REPORTED ISSUE: Certain animals and monsters moving too fast

ISSUE DETAILS: Over the past two days I've encountered two instances of creatures moving ridiculously fast. Yesterday it was crossbills. At a full run I could barely begin to outdistance them. I tried attacking several crossbills and ran into the same issue with all of them. I also tried attacking other sepcies of birds at the same time and the speed of the other birds came nowhere near matching that of the crossbill. Today I allowed a terathan avenger to target me for attack with half a screen between us. Suddenly it was right next to me as though it had teleported, although it hadn't, and started whupping me. At a full run I still could not outdistance it and it smacked me to death. I understood that it could have been lag but prior to engaging the avenger I had fought monsters for over an hour without any lag issues. Still, I checked the issue and rezzed and returned to the area. Fought other monsters again with no problems, engaged the terathan avenger again with the exact same problem occuring.

ENVIRONMENT DETAILS: Crossbills in Jhelom; Terathan Avenger in Terathan Keep

STEPS TO RECREATE: Try fighting them

EXPECTED RESULTS: I would expect to be able to outrun any creature at a full run. I understand that some are faster than others but this is ridiculous :lol:

DATE REPORTED: 5/28/2012

DATE STATUS CHANGED:

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Animals/Monsters Moving Too Fast

Post by EVeee »

I tested this report just now against a totally different Terathan Avenger and the same thing happened - it moved MUCH faster than possible.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

I have no clue about the crossbills. However Theratans and Ophidians have had their speed modified a couple of times in the past. There has been a lot of research done, and theratan avengers have been deemed to have the "ability" to tele-walk.

I'll try to find the patch notes and link that.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

patch notes speeding them up
patch notes slowing some of them down

I know there was a thread discussing this, and that's the one I haven't found.

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

Pirul, I don't know you and I mean no offense - but the speed I'm seeing from Terathan Avengers is not and can not be correct. I fought at Terthan Keep often back in this era. If the Avengers were faster than any other terathan, it was only marginally so. Personally I don't remember them being faster at all. I encourage other players to share the memory of their experiences on this as well.

Now you might discount my memory, or anyone's for that matter, in favor of patch notes - but I don't have to read any patch notes to know that the speed Avengers are showing in-game now is unrealistic by any standards. At this speed you will be forced to melee the beast, which cannot be right. At this speed, you can do nothing except run your tail off or die. Even on a horse you could not move fast enough to spell cast, shuck and jive, and cure.

Millerisfuntoplay

Post by Millerisfuntoplay »

First uo bird watcher ever.Derrick this guy dese[*]rves a trophy please grant him one.

Faust

Post by Faust »

White wyrms definitely moved at that speed and based on my understanding that speed was always referred to as tele-walking as Pirul pointed out here. Avengers were noted having the ability to tele-walk from various sources when this change took place on UO Second Age.

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

Faust wrote:White wyrms definitely moved at that speed and based on my understanding that speed was always referred to as tele-walking as Pirul pointed out here. Avengers were noted having the ability to tele-walk from various sources when this change took place on UO Second Age.
Again, no offense, but someone here should attempt to fight a Terathan Avenger and see how it goes. I never rode a horse back in the old days and I used Terathan Keep as my main source of PvM income. With this setup, it's impossible. Run into a Terathan Avenger on foot and it's almost certain death. The only means of escape are a lightning fast recall or running as soon as you're targeted and managing to get around a corner before you're slain. There is no hope of any other outcome. I looked at Pirul's reference to the patch notes but I didn't see any links to supporting evidence for this madness there. Not that anything could convince me that this speed is right, but I'm curious just the same.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

1.- I hunt that place consistently, so I'm well aware of their speed.
2.- I used the search function and ere's the discussion. viewtopic.php?f=8&p=129542. I invite you to do the same and find the other threads about this.

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

Pirul wrote:1.- I hunt that place consistently, so I'm well aware of their speed.
2.- I used the search function and ere's the discussion. viewtopic.php?f=8&p=129542. I invite you to do the same and find the other threads about this.
I hope that one thread of some guy's anecdotes about Terathan Keep, spurred on by the fact that he was fuming about getting killed by a naked dexxer, was not the primary reason for that change. Okay, people in that thread wanted it to be harder, for various reasons, but it's not era-accurate. The original poster was just clearly upset that he'd been PKed in his farming spot and wanted to screw the naked dexxer.
Crowhurst wrote:....I've been very pressing on this topic in-game but have not posted anything here yet.
Translation: I'm full of crap.
Crowhurst wrote:The other day I was brought down by a naked dexxer....
Translation: This is really why I'm here writing anything at all..
Crowhurst wrote:A naked dexxer should not be able to fly through caves full of high end casters....
Translation: I've been farming there and wasn't too worried about this supposed "problem" until I got PKed. So, in light of this story I pulled out of nowhere, please change it so I can farm there again on my horse without having to worry about ground-pounders. Thanks a million.

I was not a very skilled player in this era. Looking back it is very easy to see how bad I actually was. But I farmed Teras and Ophids by running around in circles and mobbing them up exactly like you used to be able to do on this server. Hell, seriously, be honest - in 1999 was any PvM experience difficult once you understood how the monster AI worked and you knew the terrain? Truth: no. I know now that I sucked back then but I also used to handle dragons and drakes in Destard and take on the Ancient Wyrm with two buddies of mine. When it came to Terathan Avengers and Matriarchs there were certain spots I'd teleport to so I could cast blades and EVs down without having to worry about fatal melee, but it wasn't a breakneck effort to get away from the baddies to teleport up there. It was not like this. This is insane. Now, unless you start off in a spot that is unreachable to the Avenger, you're toast. I'll admit that I never messed with White Wyrms, but there was only one of those spawning at a time, right? And I fought just about everything else and there was no monster that was ever able to run me down and whup me as easily as these Terathan Avengers. PvM was never like this. Now some people might have reasons for wanting it like that, but then they shouldn't be playing on the most era-accurate server in existence. There are plenty of custom servers with all manner of improved baddies. As it is now, even being prepared for what's coming, even if I know exactly where an avenger is sitting, running into one on foot is almost certain death. And regardless of what this whiner says, going into Terathan Keep on foot back in the day - and walking out alive again - was a common practice. My guildmates and I did NOT ride horses. EVER. The ophids seem to be accurate still, and as far as I can tell all the other Teras are, but the Avengers are way out of whack.

If I have to find absolute proof somewhere of how wrong Avengers are now to get it changed then I'll start looking for it, but one of you - probably more than one - HAS to remember this.

P.S. A search for 'Terathan" + "speed" only returned results from Mr. Sour Grapes's topic, already posted, and some post-patch comments about the increased speed and character build suggestions. Is there something I'm missing?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

they have the same speed as balrons here, i dont know what it is based from. ALL mobs in tera keep used to be as fast as avengers which was qutie difficult. you can outrun them on a horse fine though.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

nightshark wrote:they have the same speed as balrons here, i dont know what it is based from. ALL mobs in tera keep used to be as fast as avengers which was qutie difficult. you can outrun them on a horse fine though.
So now Balrons are nutso-teleport-run-insta-kill-your-arse too? Lord, what happened here? Did a bunch of complainers who wanted exclusivity to the premium mobs just get their way? I can't believe that no one important here believes or remembers that people used to handle these monsters on foot. It's great that you can handle them on a horse. Except I used to do it without one because I don't care to ride a horse, and I'd prefer not to be forced to start now.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

It is possible to outrun terathan avengers on foot also, I've done it on my scout enough times. Takes about 15s of running before you get far enough away that you will lose agro. I'm not positive the speed of a terathan avenger is completely equal to that of a balron, but it's close.

You are making it sound way worse than it is. But it is interesting that a lot of the era screenshots I've seen from terathan keep are mostly people on foot - you would get torn up pretty fast on this shard going there on foot.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

nightshark wrote:It is possible to outrun terathan avengers on foot also, I've done it on my scout enough times. Takes about 15s of running before you get far enough away that you will lose agro. I'm not positive the speed of a terathan avenger is completely equal to that of a balron, but it's close.

You are making it sound way worse than it is. But it is interesting that a lot of the era screenshots I've seen from terathan keep are mostly people on foot - you would get torn up pretty fast on this shard going there on foot.
I outran some on foot a few times too. I had to start close to a full screen away as soon as they targeted me, not stumble on anything, and make it around a corner to block them. Which means that in a tight area or one with clutter or trees, you're guaranteed to end up dead. I was running on open ground with long straight paths and I still got killed more often than I made it away alive. I ran through this scenario several different times in several different ways to figure out for myself what was going on. If I wanted to sacrifice my chance to run away I could sneak up, open gumps and prep provo and get off one shot at provoking before a quick death. I don't know what you mean by 'making it sound worse than it is' - it is what it is - ridiculously inaccurate. But thank you for throwing in that bit about seeing era screenshots of people on foot. It was good to hear some sense.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Millerisfuntoplay wrote:First uo bird watcher ever.Derrick this guy dese[*]rves a trophy please grant him one.
No there was that anti-macro dude who was scared of razor who would hunt small birds for feathers to craft arrows to put on his vendor :| ... seriously
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.