Resist Question

Moderator: Support Moderators

grepler

Resist Question

Post by grepler »

Another one of those OH NO my resist wont go up questions ;-)

Well Sorta.
I know resist can be slow so Im not really worried that much but Ive only gained about 2.3 resist while my magery has gone up from 61.5-72. At this rate Im just curious if its going to be high enough once I get to 80 magery and switch over to FS. Im more interested in getting my resist up and not so worried about magery. If I have to I'll just keep casting EB till my resist catches up. What should my resist be at before I switch to casting FS?

Missy B

Re: Resist Question

Post by Missy B »

If youre worried about flamestriking yourself to death, just add an if statement that will stop you from casting if you get to low on health. Resist will cost alot to Gm but you should be between 87-93 by the time you Gm magery.

grepler

Post by grepler »

Thanks for the reply Missy, It wasnt really the damage I was thinking about. I already have an If hits <= part of my macro to bandage myself when needed. I dont really know how the mechanics of gaining resist works so I wasnt sure if I needed a set amount of resist to get good gains from FS over EB.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Nah, you'll gain fine switching over to FS at any point. You'll just need a shitton of FS regs (which are 1 gp cheaper than EB regs, so you're golden!).
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I wouldn't say that, I always get up to 72-80 resist before doing flamestrike. You can take E-bolt all the way to mid 80's really and closing the gap between magery and resist saves alot of time. Try to keep the gap less then ten at least like if you were stealing, and then also only after 70 resist minimum. If you have the resources from a scribe when you are high 90's resist, lots of flamestrike scrolls work best.

You cast from scrolls like you were 2 circles higher, or think of them like +20 magery. So a GM mage would never fail being 50 points over. They may even up the chance to not resist making for better gains. Need to check on that though.

If so it might not hurt to have a character with 90 magery just for that reason to GM resist on your alts. Need to test that though...its only in theory presently.

You might think it costly but if you have a scribe I think its worth it. Ask most people how much they spent on regs in both gold and time from 97-GM. And another useful feature, being your casting is consistent...its also faster to gain in med as well.

Keep that in mind if you ever ress in statloss.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Why on earth would you introduce a 66% increase in cost (+ the percentage of fails from a scribe) to casting FS by using scrolls? Have you tested this?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14384

Because you need 114 skill level to have zero fail on flamestrike so especailly if he is gaining resist more then magery its more cost effective to be flamestriking from scrolls 80 magery on up. It's a good way to keep in proximity to each other too in the hotspot for gains.

Magery raises quick, you can GM that like cake.

On the other hand there may be a time where Resist actually supercedes magery using this method where you might want to change to an alt with higher mage. The thing is I found once you hit GM mage your resist gains super slow. It actually might be too much to get decent gains by. Thats why I think maybe...and its just a theory having a character locked at 90 might be better using scrolls for almost no fail.

That's the part I need to test. I think the magery level more then the circle cast has alot of influence on how much you gain (though both play a part). I mean if you look at the combat magery vs. resist factor and tally it in. http://www.uosecondage.com/stratics/UOS ... igence.htm

In other words there may be a point where you want your resist higher then the mage casting especially concerning higher circles.

You can see at GM mage Vs. GM resist only 2 of the spells were resisted when flamestrike was cast. This tells me your gains are going to stink when you are trying to resist when you are less then GM resist vs a GM mage. That's where I think the problem lies.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Rykker

Post by Rykker »

I don't know near as much about it as some of these guys but I can tell you I just recently GMed magery and am at 97.7 resist, and I just switched to FS immediately when it was time to start casting it (80ish magery). My resist at the time was in the 70s. I was in the high 80s resist by the time I GMed magery.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Rykker wrote:I don't know near as much about it as some of these guys but I can tell you I just recently GMed magery and am at 97.7 resist, and I just switched to FS immediately when it was time to start casting it (80ish magery). My resist at the time was in the 70s. I was in the high 80s resist by the time I GMed magery.
This is what I am talking about...all your fizzles will take your magery so high the sweetspot for gains starts to diminish. If you look at that second link only 2 flamestrikes were resisted out of 15 casts and thats GM vs GM. So you definately dont want to try to resist spells against a GM mage because when you are less then GM the chance to resist 7th level against one is just retardedly small. Too small for good gains.

In summary: I don't think you want to GM resist off a GM mage, but at the same time you dont want to fizzle a bunch of regs off either. That's why I suggested scrolls.

And if you were high 80's shown and 70's resist when you started flamestrike...you did it right by continuing e-bolt to keep around the ten point range until you could start to resist 7th circle easier. But now you have Gmed magery its going to be slow.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

I've never had a scribe, but don't you loose your regs too when you fail to make a scroll? Do you also loose the scroll? Is it like magery in terms of the probability to cast 7th circ at GM magery = probability to inscribe the scroll at GM inscription?

If so, the cost is probably higher using scrolls. You might as well continue hitting yourself with e-bolts (7gp per cast) vs. using FS scrolls (10gp per cast + cost of failures).

I can understand the "you don't resist FS enough to gain" angle (and although I do not think it's the case as I think failures to resist should also gain you), but I have a terribly hard time believing it is more cost efficient than simply casting on yourself.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

You gain on fails too, but you gain more when you have a smaller chance at failing. Casting 7th circle with GM mage makes your chance to resist less then ten percent even at GM resist. Which makes the chances even less when you are trying to gain.

TheManWithNoName

Post by TheManWithNoName »

inscribing a spell requires regs AND scrolls. that's an additional cost of 4-5 gp/per making a flamestrike scroll versus just buying more flamestrike regs to cast on yourself. also add in the fact that a gm scribe still has the chance to fail making a flamestrike scroll (where you lose regs and scroll) and you can see how much more expensive it would be to use scrolls to train resist.

that's assuming you already have a char with ~80.1 magery and gm inscription so you can inscribe any spell. if you do not then there's the additional cost of building one, just so you can train resist using scrolls?

if you do not have a scribe and think buying bulk FS scrolls from a vendor would be a good idea, think about this. a FS scroll is around 35 gp/per (if i'm not mistaken) versus 6 gp for the cost of FS regs from an npc vendor. do the math and you quickly see how many more casts will you buy using just regs and casting on yourself compared to using scrolls. using scrolls just doesn't add up.
IRC: NoName

Return to “New Player Help”