Keep people from being attacked in their homes?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Bean

Keep people from being attacked in their homes?

Post by Bean »

I was victim of a house breakin today; luckily they didnt get much as 90% of it was secure and i snuck back in and changed the locks and ran.

They unlocked locked front doors somehow, killed several of us, and even after being banned were still able to kill people through the walls with meteor swarm. They are still swarming around, and it is most definitely from different groups who happen to know each other. One of them rezzed in front of our house, he probably brought in his dead alt so he could run in the house and find out where we were.

I think I finally figured out why the majority of the people in here are against fixing hacks/exploits/bugs. Its because they're all griefing PKers. I bet over 90% of the people on this server with a large amount of wealth, got it by PKing. So OF COURSE there's going to be a conflict of interest here.

Divvet

Re: Keep people from being attacked in their homes?

Post by Divvet »

i dont think its a bug or exploit, its just a case of if your in a small house, your in range for a meteor swarm. so theres 2 solutions to this.
1. move your house to a less pk patroled area. ive never been pked where my small house is.
2. buy a bigger house, then for the most part they cant hit you with any spells.

also, as far as your house being broken into, only thing i can think of is someone stole a key from you.

a way to stop the looting, is put tables around your door, and a trash barrel in the middle to make a barrier, even if they break in then they cant get to any of your stuff.

UnknownLord

Post by UnknownLord »

Divvet wrote:i dont think its a bug or exploit, its just a case of if your in a small house, your in range for a meteor swarm. so theres 2 solutions to this.
1. move your house to a less pk patroled area. ive never been pked where my small house is.
2. buy a bigger house, then for the most part they cant hit you with any spells.

also, as far as your house being broken into, only thing i can think of is someone stole a key from you.

a way to stop the looting, is put tables around your door, and a trash barrel in the middle to make a barrier, even if they break in then they cant get to any of your stuff.
If key was not stolen its a stealther came in behind you earlier. Now, there are ways to go further with this. Stealth behind your barrel, You left a gap in your tables so they brought a ghost in to res, if you never detect that's your fault.

Ive looted a few houses on this server and honestly its been almost laughable. You come across houses that are unlocked with no security system in place "loot at will". People Gating behind their security system, Stealth in behind a player and they don't detect. Hiding inside a unlocked house then quickly killing the owner when he releases a barrel or table. Stealing house keys etc etc.
-D- Dreadlord XII

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

You'll be safe from meteor storm and chain lightning in a small house only on the exact center tile, as those spells have a three tile range. EQ has a wider range, but it cannot kill you directly as it takes a percentage of your health.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Bean, housing in old school UO was not secure...

I dont know if you played post T2A but when housing became secured banks people lost all fear of owning houses.

Its funny, in the 4 or so houses i own the only time something isnt in a secure is if im working crafting and need to drop a big pile of something... Houses arnt banks. Dont act like they are and you will be fine.

it is just a mentality you need to get into. You arnt 100% safe in your house!

Bean

Post by Bean »

Gotcha.

I've got a Large patio and a friend died in the back room from meteor swam. That makes sense since its about the same size as a small 7x7

One problem was a friend left some gold in a locked down bag. I remember reading on this forum that items in a locked down container could be looted. She is more new-school UO and didn't realize a non-secure container could be looted by a house invader. This happened after we were all dead of course.

I did a bit of digging and can you explain to me why not all items in the container were not locked down? And also, why does my large patio only have 4 securable containers when this patch for 11/23/99 says it is 8? Was it changed later?

http://update.uo.com/design_37.html

Maybe I don't understand this correctly but:
Phase II (Lock downs and Secures) Nov 23 1999 2:25PM CST
Lock Down and Secure Containers
As part of Phase II, the number of secure containers and locked down items will be increased for most house types. The numbers are detailed below. The total items column is the maximum number of items that can be stored in each house. Designating a container as secure will take up 125 of your lockdowns, regardless of how many items you actually put in the secure container. Note that containers within a container do not have a weight limit. This allows players to forego secure storage for more lockdowns. Secure containers do not have weight limits.

House Type Secure Containers Lock Downs Total Items
All Small Houses 3 425 425
Brick Houses 8 1100 1100
Large Patio Houses 8 1100 1100
Both Two Story Houses 10 1370 1370
Towers 15 2119 2119
Small Stone Keeps 18 2625 2625
Castles 28 4076 4076

These changes, along with the ability to lock down stackable items and the removal of weight restrictions from secure containers and bank boxes, should offer you adequate room to store your most valuable and useful items and decorate your home.

You will also be able to lockdown containers and the items inside of them. These items will not be subject to decay once locked down in the container. Saying "I wish to lock this down" on a container will:
Count the items that can be locked down inside the container.
Check the available number of lockdowns you have left for your house.
If you have enough lockdowns available, the system will lock all items down, including the container, and report success.
If you do not have enough lockdowns available, the system will report the failure and give the reason.
Releasing a locked down container will automatically release all of the items in it.
Locked down items can be used in the following manner:
Only the owner, co-owner, and friends of the house may use or take items from a locked down stack.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

two types of containers. Locked down and secure.

a secure is just that, its basically a bank that cannot be looted. The price you pay for this secure is only being able to have 125 items and it can only weight 400 stones.

a locked down container can be looted but the has unlimited weight. so you can put all the resources you need in it.

I dont know on the secure #s, perhaps Derrick or a Dev has an explanation.

Here is my housing practice.

1. Keep items of large weight in my bank (aka 30,000 boards, 10k leather, 15k inggots, arrows, scrolls, bulk reags that are currently in my bank)

2. Only bring bulk to my house when i want to craft with it. I keep small quantities <1000 resource and < 500 of each reag in my secures for day to day use.

3. I hardly ever use keys. Once a house is placed I put both keys in my bank and i take advantage of the 15 char and 3 client limit. I keep chars in my house to open doors with multi clienting. When i need bulk resources i gate from within my house to what i consider a very secluded bank, grab what i need (say 5000 boards for an example) and last object back through the gate into my house. Ill dispell the gate and then detect hidden with both accounts.

4. detect hidden multiple times. have a "I ban thee" macro set to something simple like F5. EVERYTIME you enter your house detect hidden once or twice at a minimum.

As the shard grows my #3 may not be secure enough and i will probably go to the placing table and trash can route that many use to block the door. This is about as secure as you can get.

always have chars in your house. If someone does kill you, quickly log in with another char and hit the detect hidden and "I ban thee macros"

hope it helps.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Bean wrote: http://update.uo.com/design_37.html

Maybe I don't understand this correctly but:
Phase II (Lock downs and Secures) Nov 23 1999 2:25PM CST
Lock Down and Secure Containers
As part of Phase II, ...
We don't have this new housing system on Seond Age. The houseing system we user is Pre-Nov 1999.
Details here: http://web.archive.org/web/199910081800 ... builds.htm

Bean

Post by Bean »

Hoots wrote:two types of containers. Locked down and secure.

a secure is just that, its basically a bank that cannot be looted. The price you pay for this secure is only being able to have 125 items and it can only weight 400 stones.

a locked down container can be looted but the has unlimited weight. so you can put all the resources you need in it.

I dont know on the secure #s, perhaps Derrick or a Dev has an explanation.

Here is my housing practice.

1. Keep items of large weight in my bank (aka 30,000 boards, 10k leather, 15k inggots, arrows, scrolls, bulk reags that are currently in my bank)

2. Only bring bulk to my house when i want to craft with it. I keep small quantities <1000 resource and < 500 of each reag in my secures for day to day use.

3. I hardly ever use keys. Once a house is placed I put both keys in my bank and i take advantage of the 15 char and 3 client limit. I keep chars in my house to open doors with multi clienting. When i need bulk resources i gate from within my house to what i consider a very secluded bank, grab what i need (say 5000 boards for an example) and last object back through the gate into my house. Ill dispell the gate and then detect hidden with both accounts.

4. detect hidden multiple times. have a "I ban thee" macro set to something simple like F5. EVERYTIME you enter your house detect hidden once or twice at a minimum.

As the shard grows my #3 may not be secure enough and i will probably go to the placing table and trash can route that many use to block the door. This is about as secure as you can get.

always have chars in your house. If someone does kill you, quickly log in with another char and hit the detect hidden and "I ban thee macros"

hope it helps.
Thank you very much for the informative post. I appreciate it!

aXe

Post by aXe »

Hmm, locked down containers still have can get to full after to many items are placed in it.
<hemperor> plus im sure ive handled more money than your mcdonalds ass ever has, my $1200 dollar speaks for itself! :)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Aye, both have an 125 item limit, but only the secure has a weight limit.