[PvP]: Swords vs. Fencing

Moderator: Support Moderators

Nefarity

[PvP]: Swords vs. Fencing

Post by Nefarity »

Hey there,

currently I'm working on a poison dexxer and I'm unsure which weapon skill to take. So far I've done some research through T2A Wiki, forums, etc. comparing the different weapon options, max hits, attack speeds, DPS/DOT and the likes.

However, statistics are one thing, personal experience is another. Since I haven't played UO in ages, and thus my only PvP experience comes from memory, I hope some of you guys can help me out here.

As I understand it, the big plus of fencing weapons has always been their DPS. With the recent buff to Katana speed though, is there any reason to go fencing at all? Do you even benefit from spears having much higher DPS than hallies in a real fighting scenario? What about the Warfork? Is it that much stronger than a cutlass/broadsword?

I know that if you are skilled you can be successful with any weapon skill, but I'd like to get some additional input on this nonetheless.

So long,
Nef

Lao Tzume

Re: [PvP]: Swords vs. Fencing

Post by Lao Tzume »

This interests me as well. Being new I'm looking forward to input on this.

Calador

Post by Calador »

I would if I may add another three factors into the equation for your consideration beyond weapon dps.

Availability/Parrying/Potions.

If everyone wants Hally's/Katana's and Quarterstaffs/War Axe's then you can probably sometimes get magic fencing weapons at a lower cost. If you plan on using GM weapons only then that isn't a relative point however.

Parry is very strong even in the age of the tank mage, the ability to reduce the hally/staff damage after explosion should not be forgotten and will save your life if you are reaquainting yourself with PVP.

Potions with a one handed poisoned weapon allow you to still deal damage while healing/curing/refresh while a two handed weapon offers higher dps but also a window when a well time strike can ruin your day.

I personally think it comes down to what you feel is right. I don't have poisoning but have gone sword and board for my 1st guy.
'Calador fell instantly to an onslaught of halberd and energy bolts from fully grown, nude men who spoke as children and wore masks crafted from the heads of deer.'

Nefarity

Post by Nefarity »

Calador wrote:I would if I may add another three factors into the equation for your consideration beyond weapon dps.

Availability/Parrying/Potions.

If everyone wants Hally's/Katana's and Quarterstaffs/War Axe's then you can probably sometimes get magic fencing weapons at a lower cost. If you plan on using GM weapons only then that isn't a relative point however.

Parry is very strong even in the age of the tank mage, the ability to reduce the hally/staff damage after explosion should not be forgotten and will save your life if you are reaquainting yourself with PVP.

Potions with a one handed poisoned weapon allow you to still deal damage while healing/curing/refresh while a two handed weapon offers higher dps but also a window when a well time strike can ruin your day.

I personally think it comes down to what you feel is right. I don't have poisoning but have gone sword and board for my 1st guy.
First of all, thank you for your response. However...

1. While it is true that Hallies and Katanas might be a little more expensive, there is an abundance of virtually every other swords weapon on the market. You can buy a +25 vanqu broadsword for as little as 5k. Fencing weapons on the other hand are pretty rare I think, because there is only a total of 4-5 fencing weapons that are actually usable.

2. I really don't know what parrying has to do with Fencing vs. Swords. Both have one-handed weapons, both have two-handed weapons, both suffer and benefit the same from parrying. Or am I missing something?

3. Same with potions. Swords and Fencing both have decent one-handed options if you wanna opt for safe potion drinking.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

I generally recomend swords, particularly to new players mostly because of the availability and diversity of good weapons. I have not had a real chance to test the katana's new speed, but just from crunching the numbers, it sounds like it is a monster weapon.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Nefarity

Post by Nefarity »

Pirul wrote:I generally recomend swords, particularly to new players mostly because of the availability and diversity of good weapons. I have not had a real chance to test the katana's new speed, but just from crunching the numbers, it sounds like it is a monster weapon.
Ya, I thought so too. Warfork and Kryss used to be beastly weapons as they were superior to the Katana in almost every way. Now with the attack speed buff however, I really don't see the point in going fencing.

Apart from availability and stuff, can you think of any reason - statistics or experience wise - why one would pick fencing over swords?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Not really. I have both, and tend to gravitate towards my swords dexxer much more often. Perhaps because he has parry also and is a beast to kill.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Pro

Post by Pro »

As someone whos has played a dexer solo and in group pvp I'd have to suggest Fencing.

Fencing is superior just due to the flexibility of it and how many weapons you have to use. Kryss Fast, good against mages for the interrupts can apply poison fast (extra deeeeps), Fork, Crazy damage against anyone who actually stays to fight you on a mage and a spear against dexers who hit faster than you so you cna circle and chunk them while throwing purples.

Also cheap ass weapons.

Nefarity

Post by Nefarity »

Pro wrote:As someone whos has played a dexer solo and in group pvp I'd have to suggest Fencing.

Fencing is superior just due to the flexibility of it and how many weapons you have to use. Kryss Fast, good against mages for the interrupts can apply poison fast (extra deeeeps), Fork, Crazy damage against anyone who actually stays to fight you on a mage and a spear against dexers who hit faster than you so you cna circle and chunk them while throwing purples.

Also cheap ass weapons.
Finally someone who advocates Fencing!!

But....

Katana > Kryss in every aspect after patch, no? There are also a lot of swords weapons that could serve as a War Fork substitute that are much more common and thus easier to acquire. And isn't a Hally better for hit & run style than a spear?

A Katana for speed, a Hally for hard hits / hit & run, and at least three War Fork like weapons (Broadsword, Cutlass, Scimitar) that can be acquired extremely cheaply up until vanqu. Sounds way more flexible to me.

I really want to find a reason to go Fencing but I just... can't.

Calador

Post by Calador »

Nefarity wrote: First of all, thank you for your response. However...

1. While it is true that Hallies and Katanas might be a little more expensive, there is an abundance of virtually every other swords weapon on the market. You can buy a +25 vanqu broadsword for as little as 5k. Fencing weapons on the other hand are pretty rare I think, because there is only a total of 4-5 fencing weapons that are actually usable.
I haven't yet checked the market to see what is available top end so if that is the case I completely agree.
2. I really don't know what parrying has to do with Fencing vs. Swords. Both have one-handed weapons, both have two-handed weapons, both suffer and benefit the same from parrying. Or am I missing something?
Sorry I thought you were mainly talking about spear vs hally and hence that is why I put forward parry as a consideration.
3. Same with potions. Swords and Fencing both have decent one-handed options if you wanna opt for safe potion drinking.
I agree, see the above note on parry, I thought you were only looking at 2 handed weapons. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
Nefarity wrote:I really want to find a reason to go Fencing but I just... can't.
Because you want to? Or is it because you want the optimal build/weapon usage which as Pro has pointed out will be different based on peoples experiances.

You should probably just take the weapon skill you want to rather than beat yourself up decision wise about it.
'Calador fell instantly to an onslaught of halberd and energy bolts from fully grown, nude men who spoke as children and wore masks crafted from the heads of deer.'

grepler

Post by grepler »

Calador wrote:
Nefarity wrote:
Nefarity wrote:I really want to find a reason to go Fencing but I just... can't.
Because you want to? Or is it because you want the optimal build/weapon usage which as Pro has pointed out will be different based on peoples experiances.

You should probably just take the weapon skill you want to rather than beat yourself up decision wise about it.
Best advice Ive seen on these forums for any post so far. Always do what you want because its the most fun option. not because its the flavor of the month.

Nefarity

Post by Nefarity »

You should probably just take the weapon skill you want to rather than beat yourself up decision wise about it.[/quote]

Yes, you are probably right about that. On the other hand, fun sometimes comes from success rather than flavor.

Besides, I'm interested if there are actually any factual advantages that Fencing has over Swordsmanship. How everyone values those (hypothetic) advantages individually is a different story.

That being said, however this thread might turn out, I think I'm going to give Fencing a try. I enjoy a challenge =)

Pro

Post by Pro »

Nefarity wrote:
Pro wrote:As someone whos has played a dexer solo and in group pvp I'd have to suggest Fencing.

Also cheap ass weapons.
Finally someone who advocates Fencing!!

But....

Katana > Kryss in every aspect after patch, no? There are also a lot of swords weapons that could serve as a War Fork substitute that are much more common and thus easier to acquire. And isn't a Hally better for hit & run style than a spear?

A Katana for speed, a Hally for hard hits / hit & run, and at least three War Fork like weapons (Broadsword, Cutlass, Scimitar) that can be acquired extremely cheaply up until vanqu. Sounds way more flexible to me.

I really want to find a reason to go Fencing but I just... can't.

As for katana > kryss thats when you stand still and whack eachother constantly, the reality of it is that the kryss is fast enough to disrupt spells constantly but does high damage than the kat + is about 10x cheaper.

As for other sword weapons a warfork is just superior try it for yourself and you'll really see the difference.

Return to “New Player Help”