Skill gains and money making

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Thesbus

Skill gains and money making

Post by Thesbus »

I am not sure if the current skill gain % is correct to era accuracy or not, but I was wondering why certain skills that you make a profit on while skilling up are set to gain so slowly. Case in point, Inscription, My scribe is just shy 90 skill and making resurrect scrolls I make a small profit making invis scrolls I make a large profit (7th circle vs 8th circle and regent cost make the difference) wouldn't it behoove the economy to make skills like inscription gain faster at the higher end (or atleast the same as at the lower end) just to reduce the amount of gold entering the system? Its not like GM inscription gains anything over 90 or 95 skill...I am fairly sure Runebooks don't take a makers mark in this era and I am fairly sure that most people that take inscription use it for player run vendors (recalls gates spellbooks and runebooks) or for their own characters needs. It just doesn't make sense why we would force people to macro a profit just to gain a skill like inscription.

Fishing and the early parts of tailoring also come to mind as skills that gain you money while you level them up.

Just wondering, I doubt it makes a huge difference in the amount of gold in circulation, and you don't even have to increase the gain % you could just reduce the price vendors pay for the stuff so its at even a minor loss.

Just seems like its a free skill that makes you money, is almost 100% safe from death, and not a challenge at all.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Skill gains and money making

Post by RoadKill »

The difference between 90, 95, and 100 inscription should be clear as a crafter. Your success rate is slowly increasing as your skill rises to 100. You also get the lovely title of Grandmaster Scribe.

There are many ways to make small profits off crafting and selling to the NPC, but with the crafting delay in place, the profit being made is low compared to other methods (ie you could scribe all night, say 8hrs, but an active player can farm the same amount of gold in less than 1 hour), I think that's why the issue isn't as important.

When I first came here, the turn-around rates on scrolls were insane for the work it took to do them and I think I pointed that out like my 3rd or 4th day and it was fixed relatively quick, the way it is now is a bit more counter-productive than productive (when it comes to trying to find ways to go AFK and come back with wealth)
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Thesbus

Post by Thesbus »

Yeah it's not as bad as it was when you could sell 1000 at a time at the max price, and I am not arguing how hard it is to become GM...it should be. I am arguing that you make too much money on the way to GM off scribing. I have already made enough money scribing scrolls to GM magery on the same character with enough left over to GM magery on atleast one more character and maybe a third and I am not even at 90 real skill yet. And that is vendoring the scrolls I make, not even selling them to other players. Seriously should a scroll that costs 11g to make sell for ~40g to a vendor? (Flamestrike 1 scroll 5g 1 sulf ash and 1 spider's silk 3g each). I won't even get into the absurd prices people charge other players for things like full spellbooks (7k are you kidding me? If anyone wants a full spellbook let me know i charge cost +15% for tip).

Anyways, it just seems like it would add alot of gold into the economy (which most games like to avoid for obvious reasons) if we either decreased the amount vendors pay for scrolls...or increase the rate of gains so people aren't macroing for days at a time making mountains (relatively speaking) of gold for little effort 99% of which isn't attended. Speaking of which I need to make another post about unattended macroing...

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We're bound by era accuracy on the prices vendors are paying for these items, but I certainly see your point on inscription.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Thesbus wrote:Yeah it's not as bad as it was when you could sell 1000 at a time at the max price, and I am not arguing how hard it is to become GM...it should be. I am arguing that you make too much money on the way to GM off scribing. I have already made enough money scribing scrolls to GM magery on the same character with enough left over to GM magery on atleast one more character and maybe a third and I am not even at 90 real skill yet. And that is vendoring the scrolls I make, not even selling them to other players. Seriously should a scroll that costs 11g to make sell for ~40g to a vendor? (Flamestrike 1 scroll 5g 1 sulf ash and 1 spider's silk 3g each). I won't even get into the absurd prices people charge other players for things like full spellbooks (7k are you kidding me? If anyone wants a full spellbook let me know i charge cost +15% for tip).

Anyways, it just seems like it would add alot of gold into the economy (which most games like to avoid for obvious reasons) if we either decreased the amount vendors pay for scrolls...or increase the rate of gains so people aren't macroing for days at a time making mountains (relatively speaking) of gold for little effort 99% of which isn't attended. Speaking of which I need to make another post about unattended macroing...
Thesbus, scribing has always been about time/mana/overhead for your return. there is an old article on stratics showing how this always was.

Yes you can sell a FS for 40 gold, how many can you make an hour with mana and fails? How long does it take to gather the resources to scribe for that hour, how long does it take to sell your wares to NPCs with vendor restrictions?

As another poster said, scribing is profitable without danger. But the money you make in 8-10 hours with a scribe can honestly be made in 30-60 minutes with a tamer/bard or even dexer with some silver weaps...

Ill see if i can find the old stratics article

edit* here is that link

http://web.archive.org/web/199910222311 ... scribe.htm

see "Maximizing Profit" sections

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

After reading that article, I saw something I completely forgot about

1. Do all of your inscription in the Dungeons. Mana regenerates much faster in the dungeons, and since mana is the biggest impediment to Inscription now, faster mana regen = better. If you have a high enough Magery, Inscribe in Wind. Wind is on the same serer as the dungeons, so the lag there is not bad.

Is this the case here? I don't really pay that much attention to things :)
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins