Just coming back to play and I have a question . .

Topics related to Second Age
SaibotMK
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Just coming back to play and I have a question . .

Post by SaibotMK »

It is really late here and I have work early, or id give a introduction, I started playing right around when second age began on Lake Superior. Played for 4-5 years off and on, quit for good not long after Age of Shadows. I had a trammel tamer named Methran, I was not into PvP back then, did not even use macro's. I had a fail Necro mage in Age of Shadow with 120 necromancy etc that did ok but I had no macros and he was not built correctly for PvP. I PvP in WoW, I do not click a thing all keybinds and a couple macros & UI mods (all you need). 2k rated 2's and 1800+ 3v3's is the most PvP achievements ive earned since playing for the most part. Anyway WoW is Wow and UO is UO, so using Razor & macroing will be completey new to me in UO and I will have a lot of research to do on macroing before I start even playing tomorrow.

But I have one question to ask, I am a one character kind of guy (aside from my artisan character ill probably make) and I really want to PvP and be good & have fun doing so in UOsa. I am going to be playing Diablo 3 at the same time, the biggest thing that draws me back to UO is taming and to actually get into PvP in the best era of UO to do so. For both I hope, if I remember correctly dragons were very powerful but also would get blown up by getting ganked or you'd lose your dragon all together. I mean it just wasn't plausible.

This is the cliche PvP tank mage build I know will work,

Magery
Meditation
Evaluating intelligence
Wrestling
Resisting spells
Tactics
Swords probably

100 str, 100 int, 25 dex

It is not however how I would like to PvP, but given the era it is the optimal of the two builds it seems, I would love to make a Thief PvP build with Poison for DP and Archery.

Archery or Fencing (preferably Archery)
Tactics
Poison
Hiding
Stealth
Snooping
Resisting Spells

stats?

^ This is what I would have the most fun playing, but I have no idea, I would guess id rely heavily on DP because archery is so slow I would get blown up by a mage and might do ok vs a dexxor since I can kite & shoot arrows while moving if I am not mistaken.

So HERE is the build I know the answer to, but still want to get some input on it.

Magery
Meditation
Evaluating intelligence
Wrestling
Resisting spells
Animal taming
Animal Lore (I think its called?)

100 str, 100 int, 25 dex

I understand that you cannot recall with pets, you haft to gate, oh I remember all that too well. I did not however try to seriously PvP with my trammel tamer, I would more like gank someone with my dragon then call him back to the fel gate before my dragon was kited and or I die. I learned very quickly to never take a dragon or a nightmare into a fel. So taming all together in feluccia seems like you would need a PvP character on stand by.

My problem is with multiple characters, I don't know how much time I am going to put into this, what to even expect regardless of my years of experience playing UO. It is the greatest game I have ever played in my life and nothing close has matched the experience next to maybe Fallout 2 in a sense. That does not mean I will invest the kind of time it takes to build a Tamer and a PvP character, so this is a kind of 'both worlds' build for me I guess.

Do I really HAFT to have that melee skill as a PvP mage?

Other then that question ^ if anyone could give me there thoughts & input on the the DP Archer PvP build I would much appreciate it. I can live without taming with the archer DP build, for awhile anyway :]
Baalx in IRC
https://www.twitch.tv/adrenalinepvptwitch

"<Vega> he needs some refresh mount kegs"
"<Vega> for the incessant trammel-a-thons he goes on"

McSchnurke

Re: Just coming back to play and I have a question . .

Post by McSchnurke »

The tank mage and tamer are absolute standards here because they just work. The thief has some problems, namely that he'll have no way to heal, but I think it bears mentioning that you cannot poison arrows. As far as a pure mage in PvP goes, I spent several months last year trying to make it work. What I found was that it can be very survivable but you just can't deal enough damage fast enough to reliably kill anyone by yourself. That being said, I still won't play a tank mage or a tamer, myself.

Edit: The thief would need stealing, too.

Border Patrol

Post by Border Patrol »

You need the wrestling or people will disrupt your spells easier when casting (you drop your weps when casting, no spell channel weps here)

I am pretty sure poison does not work on archery and people can outrun your arrows.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

SaibotMK wrote:

It is not however how I would like to PvP, but given the era it is the optimal of the two builds it seems, I would love to make a Thief PvP build with Poison for DP and Archery.

Archery or Fencing (preferably Archery)
Tactics
Poison
Hiding
Stealth
Snooping
Resisting Spells

stats?
Archery 80
Tactics
Magery 60
Resist 80
Anatomy 80
Healing
Snooping
Stealing

Poison doesnt work on arrows or bolts, you can find magic weapons to take you past GM Archery even set at 80. Good thing about Archery if its how I remember is the weapon timer works even while moving. I am pretty sure it works on an independent timer though...so you cant ride around with a bow in hand then have an insta hit changing to another weapon.

As a new player this might be an involved template however. Items are there to makeup for where your character lacks. Familiarize yourself with these "accessories" and you can expand on your field built ideas. Its no longer necessary to be totally geared for no pots no magics tournaments to only keep yourself boxed in under that kind of training and rules even out on the field.

Items exist to expand your characters abilities, whether it be scrolls for less then GM casters, or for dexxers to use wands and pots to help finish off a fleeing prey. Just basic premises, but magical items potions etc are common and are there for the mere reason of being used to help round off templates in areas where they could be a little better...polishing up rough edges you would otherwise disagree with to make your perfect build.

(magery is set high enough to cast seventh circle off scrolls fairly well, successful hit with a precast meteorswarm and purple potion can be used in conjunction so make sure mana is at least 40. Depending on dice rolls and targets AR that has a possibility as a kill combo...80 resist might freak some people out but consider most combat spells are 6th circle or lower. You might get hit a little harder...you'll just need to play a little harder is all)

:idea: Search post forums on some ways to gear yourself and other items that would be of some benefit you should keep in your pack that you would think not to have on your person normally. Gear up to live, if you go bare bones you purposely give people an advantage. The footstool macro itself would be a great benefit to an archer.

:arrow:
Border Patrol wrote:I am pretty sure poison does not work on archery and people can outrun your arrows.
BUt considering it is a thief character they are usually running at...not away from you. If you can run past the criminal timer, its hunting season. :lol: You give chase don't you? It's alot easier to hit with pots and arrows when on the other side of the chase I assure you. The thief has no problems offscreening to escape, heal, or set up for an all in one combo as it is in essence the dirtiest fighter of the lot. Some skills arent gimped they just havent been explored effectively enough to understand their mechanics and how to use those mechanics effectively. Heavy Crossbows are the heaviest hitters in the game...and why? They are meant to halt persuers. One reason they also give a small boost in melee combat as far as defense goes in magics upping the weapon skill itself not tactics. So you can stand for a moment and take your shot in a last stand with a smidget more hope they will miss you and you'll hit when they close in.

In all respect this would make a great Perma Red...thereby being able to steal from anyone who attacks you first, and also kill them without worry. You know the decoy red who leads a couple blues into an ambush that needs to nab their recall runes. So what you aren't guilded to steal from blues, that doesnt stop you from being a noteriety thief now does it?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

SaibotMK
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SaibotMK »

Thank you guys for the replies, I have found my build and I am going all the way with it and it is going to be a climb to get there..

Mage Tamer 100 Str 100 Int 25 Dex

100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Resist Spells
100 Taming
100 Animal Lore
100 Vet
100 Eval Int

Taking wrestling away for Vet, gives me PvP & PvM, when I finally get my character established (macros, nightmare, dragons, wyrms etc :D ) I shouldn't run into large enough groups of PKers that will kill me before I kill them or can escape through a gate hopefully. How often I purposely PvP will depend on how things go for me with this build, it will at least be a viable PvM build.

Man that all sounds so easy on paper, how long will it take to complete this build you all think? hours played*
Baalx in IRC

McSchnurke

Post by McSchnurke »

Welcome to UOSA, by the way. :D

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

SaibotMK wrote:Thank you guys for the replies, I have found my build and I am going all the way with it and it is going to be a climb to get there..

Mage Tamer 100 Str 100 Int 25 Dex

100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Resist Spells
100 Taming
100 Animal Lore
100 Vet
100 Eval Int

Taking wrestling away for Vet, gives me PvP & PvM, when I finally get my character established (macros, nightmare, dragons, wyrms etc :D ) I shouldn't run into large enough groups of PKers that will kill me before I kill them or can escape through a gate hopefully. How often I purposely PvP will depend on how things go for me with this build, it will at least be a viable PvM build.

Man that all sounds so easy on paper, how long will it take to complete this build you all think? hours played*
Listen there are spells you can cast without eval that do considerable damage....mmkay XD you totally need wrestling or some kind of defense in combat or you are good as dead. Unless you are planning on trooping with a ton of pets...I dont see this happening....even then you are still dead with alot of dragonnapped pets.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

If you absolutely need some Eval

Drop Meditation, Vet, and Resist to 80 and pick up 60 eval...

dont go without some kind of melee....that is very, very bad

SaibotMK
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SaibotMK »

I think I will drop evaluating intelligent all together for wrestling, eval intelligence lowers there resist spells and I think paralyze & any other spells I have forgotten that slow down the target from kiting you & your pet/'s is the main thing for a tamer. Wrestling is a must though for any kind of mage pvp I do remember, I will regret not having it and eval int is not needed for PvM as you are going to be focusing mainly on just controlling & healing your pets then doing actual damage.

It does hurt to drop eval, but we are not in trammel and I will constantly get interrupted trying to cast in PvP without wrestling.
Baalx in IRC