Latency while riding mounts

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
kevin-theidocghost
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Latency while riding mounts

Post by kevin-theidocghost »

In 1997/1999, most people were on 28.8 or 33.6 modems. I think ADSL was just starting to get
popular. Also hardware was not nearly as powerful as it is now, and so "Lag" was a serious issue. Normal ping times were in the 200-400ms range.
For that reason, running full speed on a horse did not give most people a serious advantage
over running on foot.

I think we should implement a "Fake Lag" kinda get people off mounts all together give an era accurate feel

Anyhow uosa feel free to give your opinions!
much love to my haters
Timelord wrote:Every single person in the game is out to kill you, loot you and take everything you own at any time.
http://www.twitch.tv/imr4350/

kevin-theidocghost
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Latency while riding mounts

if its decided that we could implement this i already have this coded out
Timelord wrote:Every single person in the game is out to kill you, loot you and take everything you own at any time.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

I had a 56k modem and didn't lag at all from mounted riding. If anything I could outrun most pks (fact because I sucked at pvp.)
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

LudKrud

Post by LudKrud »

Thats also why I got 20k for ridable llamas back then.They have the least amount of animation so they were the fastest mounts....

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

LudKrud wrote:Thats also why I got 20k for ridable llamas back then.They have the least amount of animation so they were the fastest mounts....
Llama's are still good for that. :wink:
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Light Shade wrote:
LudKrud wrote:Thats also why I got 20k for ridable llamas back then.They have the least amount of animation so they were the fastest mounts....
Llama's are still good for that. :wink:
If only they were good at making it 50 steps before fatiguing.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I like the idea kevin. But it will never happen here. Too many people "totally had a t1 line that ran 5 feet from my desktop to the UO server, that I lived nextdoor to in 1998, and I never lagged on a mount". But you are right, for a long time people didn't even ride the things, walking was faster.

I once suggested a "Pet Flu Pandemic" sort of event, where mounts would be disabled for a few days or something for fun, something different. But it never really caught on.

Tiwstacain

Post by Tiwstacain »

epic idea mirage, i would love to see like 3v3 and 4v4 on foot. Off screeening would b super difficult and it would all be on sync and 1 hally swing i love it

TC

LeonZA

Post by LeonZA »

Not a good idea at all. My average latency to the server is 520ms.
This might create fake lag (and work)for players with ultra low latencies, but would only make it unplayable for people like me.

kevin-theidocghost
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

its not an actuall latency its pretty much make a horse walk 1 tile for every 3-5 tiles it should walk wouldnt make gameplay choppy but it would slow horses down to lower then walking speed

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

Mounts are a good thing, for both mages and warriors.

I find my chances of killing a runner are higher when full speed on horse. When fighting off mounts, it's harder to close in for your most important hally hit because people can react faster to your movement and get out of the way(juke ect.).

All the shards like IPY2 that don't have mounts have horrible runfests that never end, and you can never catch anyone. All their pvp relies on ventrilo 321 drop because it's hard to get off screen in time. Also, since their spell casting mechanics are so bad and inaccurate, this only adds to their problem.

3-2-1 drop isn't the end all be all on UOSA, that's because mounts and our era accurate spell casting mechanics allow for more variety in pvp tactics.

Also, horses make warriors a viable pvp template, they can close in fast to interrupt and deal damage. On foot warriors are a joke.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

What? On foot a warrior has a good advantage over a mage. However, on foot, a warrior stands no chance against 2 mages, and likely no escape.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

the client to server seems way off, i didn't have ppl walking 4 tiles with words of power over there head. When i saw words of power on osi that person was not moving now granted with lag at times it seemed their cast time was fast haha but still they didn't move at the beginning of casting. like i see here constantly on mounts. is it a runuo thing?

LKP

Post by LKP »

It's not RunUO. UO uses an older protocol (TCP?) that requires a certain amount of client prediction. The client prediction for mounted movement is notoriously bad and is the best argument for removing mounts. This is why you may see "rubber banding" or odd movement patterns for mounted players. It's also why you'll see words of power come up while a player appears to be moving - you're getting the information that the player is casting directly from the server, but the movement is partially predicted. If you understand how this works, you can abuse it to make yourself very hard to hit in mounted melee combat. But this is abused enough as it is so I won't get into the specifics and potentially make the problem worse.

Oh yeah, and I'm very much against fake lag. Maybe I've just gotten used to the convenience of mounts actually being useful. But for the sake of era accuracy, I say consider lag the same way you do bugs - the lag was never intended, and the game wasn't built around lag. If it were, then mount speed would have been capped lower than it already is.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

is there absolutely no way to alter the client prediction? Honestly it wasn't like that on OSI which is why I was thinking it was a emulator thing. I played on cable in 98 and also dial up prior. Never saw folks moving any steps with words of power revealing over their head. If my ping/lag was a factor the only difference would be how long it took them to cast the spell, but the initial start would always be the same- if that makes any damn sense.... lol