Instantly teleporting through gates.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Instantly teleporting through gates.

Post by Mirage »

Inaccurate....you should have to stop on the gate to teleport, or double click.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Halbu

Re: Instantly teleporting through gates.

Post by Halbu »

Isn't that how it currently is?

Or do you mean non-moongates such as dungeon teleporters.

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

Halbu wrote:Isn't that how it currently is?

As soon as you cross a gate you automatically go through it, you should be able to run through a gates path without having to teleport to the other end. I'm talking a player gate.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This is an issue that has been brought up in the past. However, no information has been discovered that verifies that any such delay existed on OSI servers during the era. The only plausible change to moongate delays that might produce this behavior is a May 2000 patch. Since that is the case, we have no information on which to make this change.

If this is to change, we need information corroborating evidence.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

Mirage wrote:
Halbu wrote:Isn't that how it currently is?

As soon as you cross a gate you automatically go through it, you should be able to run through a gates path without having to teleport to the other end. I'm talking a player gate.
Right now you can run over player gates, but you can't walk over it. I see what you mean. Players should have to stand on it for at least 1-1.5 seconds before teleporting through. Clicking I believe was always faster. Not 100% sure though. If you run there is no chance of you going through a moongate unless you accidentally stock right on it(or get blocked by a player who is intentionally gating you)

How do moongates work on current OSI?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

It is possible to run over a gate here, it's just hit and miss. Sometimes you'll go through the gate and sometimes you'll run directly over it.

Is that functionality intended, Kaivan?
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

nightshark wrote:It is possible to run over a gate here, it's just hit and miss. Sometimes you'll go through the gate and sometimes you'll run directly over it.

Is that functionality intended, Kaivan?
This is definitely inaccurate. And by walking over a moongate you will always go through 100% of the time.

There needs to be a longer delay before players travel whenever "landing" on moongates. In 1998-1999, if you stopped on top of a moongate there was even some time to get off of it before you traveled.

I just tested running over moongates, and it seemed like I was getting sent through 40% of the time. I didn't stop at all, this must be the main reason why it's too easy to gate reds to town. UO moongates never worked like this.

Charisma

Post by Charisma »

I myself have experienced this. As a young player, a few months ago, I entered a t2a entrance stocked up to make rune books ( I know..... I should have banked my supplies) and ran rite through a player cast gate for their group, long story short, I ended up in the middle of uber mobs and no way to recal out. It sucked in a big way but hey live and learn.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

why cuz nubs he holding gate at LL and roxor a stat :(
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Is it possible that this delay was a function of lag?

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

Mikel123 wrote:Is it possible that this delay was a function of lag?
No, because even in 1998(when many of us had 26k or 56k) there was ample time to "move off" a moongate before traveling.

Right now most people have better connections, but since the mechanics are wrong(you nearly insta-travel) then perhaps if there was even a slight lagg we'd get sent through.

It seems to be a bug or faulty mechanic though. Even Sandro who has a ping of 30(so I've heard?) has been moongated(although I am unsure if he was blocked or just ran over it and got unlucky)

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

*bumping thread

Anyone remember that on OSI clicking a moongate was the fastest way to travel through?

On UOSA right now running onto a moongate is just as fast, whether you meant to go in or not. There needs to be a longer delay before you travel(when walking on it) to be accurate to OSI. I wonder if moongates work the same on OSI right now as in 1999.

I believe the delay was smaller when clicking a moongate to go in, or barely noticeable.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

In going through the demo scripts, I'm unable to find any intentional delay at all. This may have been an artifact of the script engine in general, not realizing you were on the gate because it did not detect you while you were in range.

Can anyone do a test similar to Halbu's on OSI?
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

Here's an old thread from 2008 about it too.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2850

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

the runUO default has a delay. easy to mix up memories if you've played on other runuo shards.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE