UOSA TV ad

Topics related to Second Age
Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

UOSA TV ad

Post by Kabal »

Did a quick google search and seen a $500 TV space, that would be about a dollar or two per player to make that happen, would be cool to get us right after a slap chop infomercial.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: UOSA TV ad

Post by GuardianKnight »

The word copyright infringement mean anything to you? Piracy maybe? Think of those things the next time you want to advertise on television a pirated shard for a game that is still running and owned by EA.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

It could just be a banner that says uosecondage.com or something that leads people here but is nondescript.

Kriav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kriav »

GuardianKnight wrote:The word copyright infringement mean anything to you? Piracy maybe? Think of those things the next time you want to advertise on television a pirated shard for a game that is still running and owned by EA.
LOL

But seriously, Everything is there to build a game without any EA IP. The server is there. Now I have seen rewritten clients. Also if you browse the internet there are now opensource graphics that you use instead of the default EA art work.

There are really no obstacles to prevent a game that is true to spirit being built that has no EA IP. and it would be completely opensource and free of legal entaglements.

carterza

Post by carterza »

Kriav wrote:
GuardianKnight wrote:The word copyright infringement mean anything to you? Piracy maybe? Think of those things the next time you want to advertise on television a pirated shard for a game that is still running and owned by EA.
LOL

But seriously, Everything is there to build a game without any EA IP. The server is there. Now I have seen rewritten clients. Also if you browse the internet there are now opensource graphics that you use instead of the default EA art work.

There are really no obstacles to prevent a game that is true to spirit being built that has no EA IP. and it would be completely opensource and free of legal entaglements.
You should read through the RunUO server code. You would have to do a ton of refactoring not only on the server code but the open source client code as well. They pretty much all rely on the original EA assets. That's not to say they can't be replaced but it would be no easy task.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

carterza wrote:
Kriav wrote:
LOL

You should read through the RunUO server code. You would have to do a ton of refactoring not only on the server code but the open source client code as well. They pretty much all rely on the original EA assets. That's not to say they can't be replaced but it would be no easy task.
In what way?

RunUO is made in C# to replicate the general experience. At the end of the day, a lot of their code is way off and all of it is different.

Client interprets the messages, if there was any legality concerns it would reside in distributing the client but I think that's fine.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Well we may need to add the price of a legal consultation by a lawyer to that original $500 amount :/

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

Kabal wrote:Did a quick google search and seen a $500 TV space, that would be about a dollar or two per player to make that happen, would be cool to get us right after a slap chop infomercial.
Slap chop infomercial? Are we targeting 35-60 year old women to start playing this game?

carterza

Post by carterza »

Hemperor wrote:
carterza wrote:
Kriav wrote:
LOL

In what way?

RunUO is made in C# to replicate the general experience. At the end of the day, a lot of their code is way off and all of it is different.

Client interprets the messages, if there was any legality concerns it would reside in distributing the client but I think that's fine.
The language doesn't matter, and you're correct in the sense that sending / receiving / interpreting packets is all that the client / server interaction consists of. What does matter is how the server reads certain resources, mainly the binary assets of the server - map information etc...

Also, the client / server are tightly coupled to the format of these resources as well.

Check out -

http://svn.runuo.com/repos/runuo/devel/Server/Gumps/
http://svn.runuo.com/repos/runuo/devel/Server/Map.cs

etc... browse around their subversion server if you'd like more examples. My point is if you start changing assets you're going to have to refactor all the code which loads them. I realize RunUO was made to be extensible - you can create custom maps / sprites / scripts / what have you.

What you cannot do is change the underlying way the server code and client code work with assets. Now if you were to create all assets in the same way UO assets were created you would probably be okay. I bet EA would have big issues with that though. Don't forget that source code is just as much proprietary and protected by copyright laws as art assets are. If you build all custom gumps, sprites, maps, etc... you'll still be running code which in essence is owned by EA. If you changed all of the code to work with different formats fo files - so you weren't using gumps - you'd have a monumental refactoring effort ahead of you.

Having said all that, if it's a non-commercial effort you're undertaking you'd probably be fine. If you tried to sell it, it'd be a whole nother story.

Why not just study the way UO works, build a more modern version of it, and implement similar mechanics you found enjoyable in UO?

That's what I've been doing the past few months.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Robbbb wrote:
Kabal wrote:Did a quick google search and seen a $500 TV space, that would be about a dollar or two per player to make that happen, would be cool to get us right after a slap chop infomercial.
Slap chop infomercial? Are we targeting 35-60 year old women to start playing this game?
This might actually be a healthy thing for us, maybe they'd teach some of these assholes in irc some manners.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Kabal wrote:
This might actually be a healthy thing for us, maybe they'd teach some of these assholes in irc some manners.
Manners are best used with women, fine dining and professional situations.
This is a game. :)
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

IRC is not a game, unforunately for you its more like a lifestyle.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Well if we can exploit some technicality in the laws and rights of the graphics we should be ok.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

or maybe even a billboard on the side of a freeway.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Now you are along the lines of conspiracy to commit copyright infringement. Plotting to get a group together to commit a crime. You are even leaving a evidence trail. Worst Criminal in the world.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson