Cancelling My UOSA Subscription

Topics related to Second Age
Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Cancelling My UOSA Subscription

Post by Light Shade »

Since last summer I have slowly become increasingly disappointed with the management of this shard.
  1. Lack of Game Masters, Administrators, and Seers who have time to devote to this shard to keep things fresh.
  2. Policies regarding AFK Buying, Selling, and Gathering.
  3. The Stables Fiasco.
  4. De-Syncing. This IS a UOSA-Specific issue. On no other shard is it as widespread and prevalent.
Lack of Game Masters, Administrators, and Seers:
Simply put, with a shard that does not progress and seeks to emulate an Era, the staff need to be interactive and visible. They need to be running Monster Bashes, Invasions, Contests, etc... This is a free shard and most of the people helping run this shard are busy in real life. That is not the issue, though. The issue is that people have not been found who do have the time to devote to making this shard a better place. Seers and Game Masters were commonly seen interacting with players in-era. As far as the automated events are concerned, they do help to bridge-the-gap between the lack of GM/Admin/Seer activity and an ideal staff that had time to interact with the shard. From that point of view, it would be nice to see the Automated Events fixed for the portion of the player base that actually enjoys them.

This shard needs a significantly larger GM/Admin/Seer presence and if that means finding new people that have the time to help out with it, so be it.

Policies regarding AFK Buying, Selling, and Gathering:
This abusive policy is one of the more shameful things about this shard. The cost/risk of stopping people from engaging in these activities far out-weighs the cost/risk involved in AFK'ing everything in-game. Overall, it has a detrimental effect on the shard. This can be evidenced by the string of dead vendors across the shard. Rewarding people for being AFK and punishing someone who actually plays the game for not having a fast enough razor macro is no way to create a good gaming environment on a server. Allowing people to AFK their skill gain is one thing, but allowing players to automate the entire game is quite another. This detracts from the game, overall, and significantly decreases the replayability of the game for its players.

Actually play the game...

The Stables Fiasco:
This is, in my opinion, one of the most ridiculous things about this shard. From my personal perspective, my father is a casual gamer that enjoys playing a tamer. He's 60 years old, so power-gaming and fighting for stable spots isn't exactly in his playstyle. He no longer enjoys playing on this shard solely because of the stable situation. He occasionally logs in and does some more mundane things, but his enjoyment of this game has been taken away from him. I've heard the same story from many of the players on this server. The bottom line for me, though, is this: My father no longer enjoys playing this game with me like he used to. Regardless of the direction of the shard, people's opinions, etc...this is unacceptable to me as a player. For this reason alone, I will be cancelling my UOSA Subscription and ask that my Subscriber status be removed accordingly.

De-Syncing:
This IS a UOSA-Specific issue. On no other shard is it as widespread and prevalent. This makes PvP on this shard, and even fast-paced PvM, all but impossible for me. I never had this problem until recently. My computer wasn't even updated, installed, changed, etc...and my internet connection has never been better. Whatever it is about UOSA that causes this issue for MANY people is completely unacceptable. This problem has gone on for entirely too long.

There are many other things about this shard that upset me, but these are the most serious issues to me.

The bottom line for me is this:
The bad on this shard has started out-weighing the good, in my opinion.

This upsets me and i'd like to see it changed.

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Vhyx

Re: Cancelling My UOSA Subscription

Post by Vhyx »

It'll be interesting to see how this thread pans out.

I'm with you on a couple of your points (AFK Reagent buying and stables), but choose not to beat a drum about it. It's clear certain policies aren't going to change no matter how flawed the logic supporting them.

However, I don't subscribe so I'm pretty much getting what I pay for.

Hythloth Tower for Sale. Contact Boondock_Saint via PMs because it's his and not mine. Azheman will broker the deal, naked.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I appreciate your long-time subscription. In the context of this post though, I'd like to reiterate that it is the greatest of the shard policies that money will not affect our policies.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I think you should keep with the sub so long as its affordable.

Despite the fact that applejunk and chumnugget think that I have no respect for Derrick/Staff, I believe Derrick and co has given me much more then I have ever given them.

The friends, the laughs, the challenges, etc... hardly any monetary contribution can stack up to the joy I have taken in from being a part of UOSA. To me its worth a lot, and I will gladly continue to help keep this shard running.

People get busy, things get shelved, we have high points and low points rolling over us in waves. What you dislike now will most likely be dissolved by the good times you will have in the future.

Lightshade all of your points are valid, and I sympathize with you. However I want to try and encourage you to stay as a subscriber, because un-subbing will not solve any of these problems.

PS - applefat :P

Alden

Post by Alden »

Hi
I just started playing the shard last week and am really enjoying it. From IRC to in-game I've found everyone real helpful. Most of the time I'm pk'd I even get a rez. Honestly, leave me my recall scroll and rune all is good.

Can someone fill me in on the subscription? Sometimes people go, but there are a lot of us who are coming in.

I think it's important for the new people to step up and help support the server as well.

Thanks,
Alden

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

Alden wrote:Hi
I just started playing the shard last week and am really enjoying it. From IRC to in-game I've found everyone real helpful. Most of the time I'm pk'd I even get a rez. Honestly, leave me my recall scroll and rune all is good.

Can someone fill me in on the subscription? Sometimes people go, but there are a lot of us who are coming in.

I think it's important for the new people to step up and help support the server as well.

Thanks,
Alden
There's a link at the top left of this page with all the info, near the IRC link - http://www.uosecondage.com/Donate

SteelReserve

Post by SteelReserve »

I agree with the Stable Fiasco part. but I'm sure there is nothing I could say that has not been expressed before. but still to me there is a difference between exploiting something from the era, and exploiting something because of the era. I think we should clump it in with resources gathering. as long as that is proven and enforced.

I cant say anything about PvP on my connection. other than the reds ganking me seem to be having a good time killing the guy that runs 8 tiles before falling over :lol:

Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Last edited by Telamon on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Pac

Post by Pac »

What is this "Stables Fiasco" please fill me in or provide a link. I feel left in the dark here...

Vhyx

Post by Vhyx »

Which stables fiasco do you want?

There's the most recent one:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36982

Which stems from:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31589

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29991

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32193

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30076

If you need any more, I'll be happy to use the search function for you some more.

Hythloth Tower for Sale. Contact Boondock_Saint via PMs because it's his and not mine. Azheman will broker the deal, naked.

Pac

Post by Pac »

Oh, tamer QQ lol

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

I'd love the new player companion system brought back and maybe expanded on to deal with some of these complaints.
Last edited by Chaos on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Derrick wrote:I'd like to reiterate that it is the greatest of the shard policies that money will not affect our policies.
Good. If it were otherwise, it'd be in my list. :)
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Can someone fill me in on the AFK buying and selling situation?

Is it technically illegal yet hard to monitor or just allowed?

I agree it is lame and that there is very little a player can do to stop it that simply can't be prevented the next time.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Casey
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Casey »

Hemperor wrote:Can someone fill me in on the AFK buying and selling situation?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33835