Updating the wiki

Moderator: Support Moderators

randale

Updating the wiki

Post by randale »

I added some things to it (my name is the same as here on there) it could really use it. How did you gain most of your knowledge on the game. For me, it was mostly word of mouth, er rather text, asking around, but I think it would really help people and there's lots of information that it doesn't tell you.

I'll actually have to go back and correct some mistakes I made today, updating the housing page. But, I added a few new housing rules that weren't there, such as you can't place a house in the lost lands, can't place a house near Wrong, and that on this shard almost all the land is occupied and you'll need to also probably pay for the land. I also added the most effective and elusive townkilling method, using exploding potions before stepping through the gate out of town.

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Updating the wiki

Post by Jill Stihl »

Most of my knowledge has come from trawling the wiki, the forums, lurking in IRC, and of course being in World.

I also had the advantage of not playing any other MMORPGs between leaving OSI and coming here, so lots of stuff was still fairly fresh in my head.
Ghosts (any Ghosts, including owners, co-owners and friends of the house) can not be resurrected in houses. This was made in a patch to prevent them from resurrecting on a porch and thereafter looting the house.
Did you add that?^

It's total nonsense unless that patch went in this morning :-)

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

Due to the high player base on the UO second age shard, there is practically no open land that is not already occupied by a house. Any place where there could be a house there already is.
There is LOTS of open land for small houses, so that^ is not particularly accurate.
For this reason, players selling houses will also sell the land for an additional charge.
What? Players selling houses always include the land in the price, otherwise they'd just be selling a house deed, and nobody does that.

I'm posting these here as I can't edit the wiki myself, and these are some glaring errors you've put in :)

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

From outside the house, there is one thing, and only one thing that can hurt (and kill) your character, the Earthquake spell.
Again, not accurate at all.

Chain Lightning and Meteor Swarm can kill players within two tiles of a wall. Earthquake cannot on its own kill any player character anywhere.

Energy Vortexes can be dropped on towers and led down the stairs.

I'm fairly sure there are other house-kill methods I'm not familiar with too.

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

Do note that I'm not trying to be an arse here, I'm just pointing out the errors as I see them. Contributing to the wiki is a good thing to do, but you have to be sure you're adding accurate info :-)

randale

Post by randale »

Jill Stihl wrote:
From outside the house, there is one thing, and only one thing that can hurt (and kill) your character, the Earthquake spell.
Again, not accurate at all.

Chain Lightning and Meteor Swarm can kill players within two tiles of a wall. Earthquake cannot on its own kill any player character anywhere.

Energy Vortexes can be dropped on towers and led down the stairs.

I'm fairly sure there are other house-kill methods I'm not familiar with too.
I've changed it.

randale

Post by randale »

Jill Stihl wrote:Most of my knowledge has come from trawling the wiki, the forums, lurking in IRC, and of course being in World.

I also had the advantage of not playing any other MMORPGs between leaving OSI and coming here, so lots of stuff was still fairly fresh in my head.
Ghosts (any Ghosts, including owners, co-owners and friends of the house) can not be resurrected in houses. This was made in a patch to prevent them from resurrecting on a porch and thereafter looting the house.
Did you add that?^

It's total nonsense unless that patch went in this morning :-)
Maybe what I read is old, are you saying you can res in houses now? Or that it isn't the reason you can't, or both?

randale

Post by randale »

For this reason, players selling houses will also sell the land for an additional charge.
What? Players selling houses always include the land in the price, otherwise they'd just be selling a house deed, and nobody does that.
Yes, that's pretty much what I said, the additional charge is included in the price, I didn't say they had to pay another charge that wasn't. What I mean it's more than you'd have to pay by buying the deed from a carpenter in town.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

You have always been able to res characters in houses afaik.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Zelek Uther
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Zelek Uther »

You can resurrect a ghost inside a house.

I remember a funny incident when I was selling a pouch of 50 kegs to a friend, and somehow while dragging it, I dropped it somewhere in the house and couldn't find it! I was living in an extremely cramped small at the time. He offered to come over and help me find it.. As luck would have it, the first box he opened was a GM Tinker trapped box that I had been using to train Detect Hidden. BOOOOM! Ooops... sorry, forgot to mention that... I resurrected him immediately, and apologised. He had a good sense of humour and said that it was hilarious! And we did eventually find the missing bag of 50 empty kegs.

I just tested it, in case something has changed, and you can still res in a house:
2012-01-31 Can resurrect in a house.png
2012-01-31 Can resurrect in a house.png (191.51 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
I have removed the sentence from the Wiki that says you can't res in a house.

Also: thanks randale for updating the Wiki. It's a great resource!
Zadok Uther - Co-founder of Society of Traders [S^T]

Zelek Uther - Guild Master of Terra Nova [TN]

randale

Post by randale »

Here's the thread I thought meant you can't res in houses

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1094&start=15

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

That is an almost 4 yr old thread. And Derrick said it would be changed.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

randale wrote:...almost all the land is occupied...
Jill Stihl wrote:There is LOTS of open land for small houses, so that^ is not particularly accurate.
Jill is correct. There is LOTS of open space for small houses. There are even spaces for large houses if you look hard enough. Not premium locations or anything most likely, but they do exist. The things you will have almost no chance of placing are towers and larger. But with enough IDOC hunting, you might just get lucky. I placed a tower recently from an IDOC tower that fell where I was the only one there to loot it (hardly any loot, which probably helped with the zero competition for placing a new tower).

Return to “New Player Help”