Is it worth buying a boat just for adventure?

Moderator: Support Moderators

Hathor

Is it worth buying a boat just for adventure?

Post by Hathor »

After couple of days (or hours, I am weekend player) my character finally started to make some money from monsters. Which is a relief after all the lumberjacking and bow crafting. Can a boat be useful when not fishing? Will I meet some monsters (water elementals I vaguely remember?) in the sea and could I use the boat for training archery?

My character is still weak - I can heal, I can take orc mage, but my archery is still around 50, magery/resisting just bought, so 30-ish. Will I have the use for boat?

Atraxi

Re: Is it worth buying a boat just for adventure?

Post by Atraxi »

Not really. They're a pain in the arse to drive, and, if you come across a mob that you can't take, it's almost impossible to get away. Most sea creatures will actually grab your boat and hold it, so you have to kill it to escape.

I rarely ever use my boats. If you're not going to be fishing or mining, save your money.
|| Atx Mini Mall | Atraxi's Great Real Estate ||

IRC: Atraxi on @#bpd +#NEW #SecondAge #C^V

<GreenPlastic> I want Five Guys inside me right now
Millerisfuntoplay wrote:Atraxi pwned me =(

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Atraxi wrote:Not really. They're a pain in the arse to drive, and, if you come across a mob that you can't take, it's almost impossible to get away. Most sea creatures will actually grab your boat and hold it, so you have to kill it to escape.

I rarely ever use my boats. If you're not going to be fishing or mining, save your money.
Agreed...and that ^ is coming from a guy with at least 4 boats in the water!
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Pirul wrote:
Atraxi wrote:Not really. They're a pain in the arse to drive, and, if you come across a mob that you can't take, it's almost impossible to get away. Most sea creatures will actually grab your boat and hold it, so you have to kill it to escape.

Agreed...and that ^ is coming from a guy with at least 4 boats in the water!
At last count, I've got 7 boats. All 3 at Compassion, 2 Atx Delivery ships next to my vendors, The Atx fishing ship (Tardis II), and the Atx Coast Guard ship which guards the C^V Dock.

Keep in mind that most of these boats NEVER MOVE!

The Compassion boats are for taming training (which I plan to get to eventually). They can't move, even if I wanted to move them.

The Atx Delivery ships are for storage.

The Atx Coast Guard ship is there just because. (I had an extra boat)

The Tardis II is the only one that I actually use. You can ask anyone who frequents New Windmere, and they'll tell you it's been stationary for a while. Even before I sailed it back to the dock, it sat in the same place out in the middle of the ocean for over a year, unused.

Boats really are a waste of money, unless you plan on a career as a fisherman or a miner. It's just another thing to refresh.

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

What? Monsters are super easy to escape in a boat.

"Oh look a monster is directly in front of me, whatever shall I do"
"Forward left"
"Oh look a monster is 8 screens behind me..."
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

chainsoar wrote:What? Monsters are super easy to escape in a boat.

"Oh look a monster is directly in front of me, whatever shall I do"
"Forward left"
"Oh look a monster is 8 screens behind me..."
Pay attention before you start talking, chain. He's talking about going out and attacking sea monsters, not avoiding them. My post deals with that. Of course you can avoid them easily. Once they've started attacking, you can't get away (without recalling, of course).

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

I was paying attention. I still say you're wrong.
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

Byokii

Post by Byokii »

I haven't done it on UOSA but on OSI you could do:

left, wait a few seconds left forward/back and out run the mob.

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Once the monster is on the edge of your boat, you can still get away? I've tried every direction and my boat never moves.

Koden

Post by Koden »

So I think it comes down to when, cuz if you stay & play you will buy or take a boat. Don't tell anyone but u can find unlocked boats take it out on a day cruse, drop items on the deck to keep the owner from recalling on and PKing you and have fun <<<<<<<who said that????

So need: no
worth it: no
gona end up with one sooner or later: oh ya
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish on UOSA and he will stay up until his wife yells at him to get to bed.

Hathor

Post by Hathor »

Thanks all. Just relieved some ork campers from duty of carrying a treasure map and having access to a boat would be nice...
The best way would be rent-a-boat service from a person that respects a deal. Am I too naive?

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

I retract my former assertion regarding Atraxi's comments, literally two hours after posting I got a water elemental glued to the side of my boat. First time that ever happened to me, only way I could get rid of it was to invis and wait for it to swim off.

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

chainsoar wrote:I retract my former assertion regarding Atraxi's comments, literally two hours after posting I got a water elemental glued to the side of my boat. First time that ever happened to me, only way I could get rid of it was to invis and wait for it to swim off.
Yeah see! That's what I mean! Sea Serps do it too! They get hooked on the side of the boat and you can't move anywhere!

It's maddening! lol

Return to “New Player Help”