Clean Up Britannia and Young Player Tickets

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Ulfrigg

Re: Clean Up Britannia and Young Player Tickets

Post by Ulfrigg »

Kaivan wrote:Just to clear up a few things, young player tickets were indeed available during 1999. The original rewards list included the following:
  • A sextant.
  • A hair restyle deed.
  • A random ranger armor piece.
  • A fireworks wand.
In August of 2000, the ticket rewards were slightly revised, removing ranger armor and replacing it with a spellbook containing the first 4 circles.

Now, regarding this information and the mandate for accuracy, we have largely steered clear of the young player system due to the ease of abuse for the system. Specifically, if any new accounts are given young status as they were on OSI servers, this would do nothing but encourage the majority of players to find any and every avenue to abuse the ability to create free accounts on UOSA. This is not a healthy result, and squarely places most if not all of the function of the young player system in the exceptions to era accuracy, simply for the purpose of maintaining a functional server.

This is so true it would be so easy to abuse, just go to a friends house who is not gona play the game create the accounts in his name and email and then voula you got alot of stuff depending on how many friends you have not playing here. This can be done and probebly is already now...

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

As I stated before anything can be abused. If someone really wanted they could have someone hack the server or do it them selves and do whatever they wanted. I think most people here are adults or at least close to it. I really don't think it will be exploited as bad as you think. I didn't see anyone rushing over to a friends house to make another account to get an extra Christmas gift. All I can say is it's worth a shot. If it becomes a worse case senario it's taken away.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Anon Emous wrote:As I stated before anything can be abused. If someone really wanted they could have someone hack the server or do it them selves and do whatever they wanted. I think most people here are adults or at least close to it. I really don't think it will be exploited as bad as you think. I didn't see anyone rushing over to a friends house to make another account to get an extra Christmas gift. All I can say is it's worth a shot. If it becomes a worse case senario it's taken away.
There is a large difference between abusing the way that IP assignment works and committing an illegal act in order to obtain an advantage. Also, the reason why players don't typically abuse creating extra accounts for Christmas gifts is due to the restrictions we have on receiving them in the first place.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

Agreed. However the restriction placed on Christmas gifts could be done for young player tickets could they not?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Anon Emous wrote:Agreed. However the restriction placed on Christmas gifts could be done for young player tickets could they not?
Sort of. The specific requirements to receive Christmas gifts are actually incompatible with the young system, and a modified set of requirements would turn out to be very ineffective in the long run for a couple of reasons. First, the young system is not something you just turn off, which means that anyone who decides to exploit the system only needs to wait for a specific period of time, among other minor requirements, and then reap the benefits. This is something that works well during Christmas, due to the limited availability of Christmas gifts, but is entirely ineffective with the young system. Second, the problem with applying the same kind of requirements to the young system that we used for Christmas is that the requirements themselves would need to be modified, and there is no data that we can look at that would suggest what values to modify the requirements to. We would effectively be shooting blind, which carries a huge risk of either leaving the system in essentially the same condition as a system that has no requirements, or a system that doesn't actually allow players to receive tickets in the first place.

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

The young player tickets were only given once upon creation of a char. The only reason they did that is because they most people didnt have more then one account. You could modify it to 1 ticket per account giving a total of 3 maximum. Not like a time line. And when the account was past 7 days they were no longer available. OSI did it there has to be some specs for it some where. The only other thing that you could do is make a rule like unattended gathering and say that if an account is caught exploiting (IE creating accounts) it all accounts with that IP would be blocked permanently.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Actually, new player tickets were given at the creation of any new character on the account, as many times as characters could be created on the account. As for the rest of the suggested restrictions, they do little to actually combat the abuse of accounts in order to acquire new player tickets. They just encourage the creation of more accounts than they otherwise would.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Kaivan wrote:Actually, new player tickets were given at the creation of any new character on the account, as many times as characters could be created on the account. As for the rest of the suggested restrictions, they do little to actually combat the abuse of accounts in order to acquire new player tickets. They just encourage the creation of more accounts than they otherwise would.
Agreed
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

I really don't think it would be a issue with the OSI version of UO they were only available to the first char created for each char slot. Meaning you couldn't just delete your char after 7 days and get another ticket. How they did it I am not certain but I deleted a couple of char when I first started because I didn't like the name and never received another ticket. I believe this wouldn't be a problem for 2 reasons 1. The account restrictions that are in place only allow 3 accounts per IP. Which today for most laptops, routers/ ethernet cards , and mobile devices are specific to the device. Which means unless they know more then average about computers is gonna limit most from exploiting it by creating additional accounts. 2. If it does become a problem: 1. the market would be flooded and prices would drop ie no reason to do it anymore, 2. you could just turn it off.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Anon Emous wrote:I really don't think it would be a issue with the OSI version of UO they were only available to the first char created for each char slot.
This is not the case. They were made available any time a new character was created on the account, not just the first character in a slot. As long as the account still had the young status attached to it, you could receive the tickets on any newly created character.
Anon Emous wrote:The account restrictions that are in place only allow 3 accounts per IP. Which today for most laptops, routers/ ethernet cards , and mobile devices are specific to the device. Which means unless they know more then average about computers is gonna limit most from exploiting it by creating additional accounts. 2. If it does become a problem: 1. the market would be flooded and prices would drop ie no reason to do it anymore, 2. you could just turn it off.
First and foremost, IPs are never statically bound to a particular NIC card unless you actually request/pay for that particular feature. Every ISP will just provide you the IP that is leased to you until you are no longer there to renew the DHCP license, in which chase you will be assigned a new IP. Depending on how long the DHCP license is, and other factors, it may be very easy to rotate your IP, or it might be a minor difficulty to do so. Ultimately, the point is that IPs are not static.

Second, regarding the abuse of accounts and its effect on the market, the problem is exactly that it has such an influence on the market. Assuming it does become a problem, not only are traditionally rarer items devalued due to exploitation, but the solution would be to turn it off, after the damage has been done. A wiser solution is to avoid an invariable and obvious problem all together. On top of that, this also creates a problem with players abusing the account system as well. This carries the problem of requiring us to sift through accounts and ban hundreds if not thousands of accounts, just as a result of creating characters for the young system.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

I like Robbbbbbbb's idea for CuB :-) Neons for all!!
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Lack

Post by Lack »

I don't know if I agree or disagree with bringing these "events" back to be honest, there are obvious benefits but even more obvious flaws. Two ideas I could think of is only being able to trash items already tagged with an ID before CUB is open this prevents players from mass producing new items to build up points, and for new player tickets make it not once per account or character but one per IP, this way even if others made new accounts from other IPs it would be more of a hassle than it could potentially be worth and would encourage trading and interacting between other players as intended. Just a thought to combat the abuse of these "events" if they were to come back. I'm happily playing with or without these things and will continue to long after they are gone if they happen.

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

Boondock_Saint wrote:I like Robbbbbbbb's idea for CuB :-) Neons for all!!

I'm just trying to clean up the server!! =P

Incognito

Post by Incognito »

Anon Emous wrote:As I have seen many have voiced the fact that T2A was an ever changing stage in UO history. These are a few things I think that could not only free up some clutter but also make things alittle funnier. The token system was a fun way to encourage players to use trash cans instead of dropping stuff on the ground and causing item overload and also a fun way to introduce special items into game play. (IE Item bless deeds for runebooks/ Clothing bless deeds, Special dye tubs, Etc.) Secondly one of the main things that were changed in T2A was the introduction of weapon special abilities. Every weapon had its own special ability and if a player was over 70 skill they had a chance to hit and have the weapons special ability kick in. This was introduced to even the fighting field between fighters and mages. I'm not sure when the patch came for this. I have been playing since late 97 and so alot of things are kinda scrambled together in my memory. Either way I think this was a nice addition to the PVP arena. Last but not least. Newbie tickets have always been and were always a fun thing to have that I have noticed are non existent in the shard. Newbie tickets were a fun way to introduce some rares(Ranger Armor and Fireworks Wands) into the game and encourage player to player trading. Just a couple ideas let me know what you think.

I perfectly agree about special abilities.
they add fantasy, unpredictability, difficulty, and give the chance to kill someone while 1 vs 1.
maybe they could improve the horrible pvp we have now

Stranger

Re: Token System, Weapon Special Abilities, and Newbie Ticke

Post by Stranger »

iamreallysquall wrote:
Arsen wrote:
Anon Emous wrote:As I have seen many have voiced the fact that T2A was an ever changing stage in UO history. These are a few things I think that could not only free up some clutter but also make things alittle funnier. The token system was a fun way to encourage players to use trash cans instead of dropping stuff on the ground and causing item overload and also a fun way to introduce special items into game play. (IE Item bless deeds for runebooks/ Clothing bless deeds, Special dye tubs, Etc.) Secondly one of the main things that were changed in T2A was the introduction of weapon special abilities. Every weapon had its own special ability and if a player was over 70 skill they had a chance to hit and have the weapons special ability kick in. This was introduced to even the fighting field between fighters and mages. I'm not sure when the patch came for this. I have been playing since late 97 and so alot of things are kinda scrambled together in my memory. Either way I think this was a nice addition to the PVP arena. Last but not least. Newbie tickets have always been and were always a fun thing to have that I have noticed are non existent in the shard. Newbie tickets were a fun way to introduce some rares(Ranger Armor and Fireworks Wands) into the game and encourage player to player trading. Just a couple ideas let me know what you think.
1. Tokens = Not Era Accurate = not possible

2. Special Abilities = Not Era Accurate = not possible

3. Newbie Tickets = Era Accurate = we get tickets on christmas each year.
just some detail on your response

1 i think he means clean up brit program which was era accurate only one time and we already one

2 special abbilites were was the expansion Renascence which came after t2a
Always thought the clean up britt only happening once era accurate arguement was so funny. We live in a perpetual t2a. Frozen in time. If we go round and round within t2a, why can we not come back around to clean up brit? True era accurate would be t2a ending and becoming ren lol.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger