Help me understand how I was town killed

Moderator: Support Moderators

Dartacalus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Help me understand how I was town killed

Post by Dartacalus »

Last night I was playing around with Razor (first time I used it) and set up a macro in the Brit stables to provoke. I had it running for about 5 minutes, then out of nowhere I died. My journal simply said "You are dead." I did not see anyone attacking me, and there were 2 or 3 other people in the stable with me AFK that seemed to be unaffected.

Is it possible for someone to kill me without being revealed in the process? My health did not gradually go down as if I were being attacked, it went straight from full to dead. I am still new so I don't know if this is expected or not, but I thought this wouldn't be possible in town. Does anyone have any insight?

As an aside - does anyone have a recommendation of how to train provoke when I don't own a house yet?
Thanks.
Dartacalus

timbo21

Re: Help me understand how I was town killed

Post by timbo21 »

for provoking the moonglow zoo is a good spot, just set a macro and ur good to go

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

You could have been gate-bombed. What the aggressor will do is open a gate far from guardzone, and jump through it, throw and explosion potion (or two) then jump back through the gate, wait a second or two, then jump back, throw 2 more, rinse repeat until necessary.

There are many offers for new player housing here on the forums, I strongly recommend you take advantage of that.

If all the houses are full, contact me on IRC and maybe we can work something out.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

Peacemake + herding and suddenly there is no barrier between you and the animal you are provoking. You pretty much kill yourself.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=21369
:D
Dartacalus wrote:As an aside - does anyone have a recommendation of how to train provoke when I don't own a house yet?
Thanks.
If you must do it in a stable, there are ones that are frequented far less often than any of the ones in Brit where the odds of someone effing with you go way down. Not perfectly safe, but an improvement. AFK macroing in Brit is just asking for it.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

applejack wrote:Peacemake + herding and suddenly there is no barrier between you and the animal you are provoking. You pretty much kill yourself.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=21369
:D
Dartacalus wrote:As an aside - does anyone have a recommendation of how to train provoke when I don't own a house yet?
Thanks.
If you must do it in a stable, there are ones that are frequented far less often than any of the ones in Brit where the odds of someone effing with you go way down. Not perfectly safe, but an improvement. AFK macroing in Brit is just asking for it.
^ this is what happened if you got no murder gump. Moonglow zoo is worst then brit. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30005 (why its bad to afk macro at moonglow) you most likely have very very low str and whatever hit you could of one shot you if you had 0 wrestling like a bull for example :)
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

Another tip: Provoking is not difficulty based, so provoke a chicken. Odds are you'll just kill it if somebody pulls the same move. I'm guessing here, but I assume you could provoke it by type and then you'd just get the next spawning one if somebody kills it. Just a thought. I always chuckle that most people provo bulls onto themselves. Bulls are the afk-er killing machines of the stables.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Although many have posted regarding how "unsafe" it can be to macro in town, it's more of a nuisance than anything, as long as you drop off anything of value before starting (wasted hours where you did not continue your macro). I couldn't give you an exact number (and it obviously varies), but I've macroed in town a lot, and probably less than 10-20% of the time do I get townkilled... when it does happen, just get up, dust yourself off, and get back to it. I agree that moonglow zoo is a good place to do provocation, since the animals you provoke are behind bars.

For things like macroing magery, learning how to use a restock agent is essential if you are doing it in town.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Dartacalus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Dartacalus »

I was provoking two pigs. I was not AFK, I was watching my screen when this happened. The pigs were still penned, no one gated in, and I did not hear any explosions. I simply went from full health to dead in an instant. Even if the pigs DID attack me, could they really have killed me in one hit? This is why I don't understand how it could have been done... :?:
Dartacalus

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

...Just a hypothesis, but peace + tame + guardwhack, maybe?

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

think he would of saw the guard then :P. sticking to my instant hit theory how low is your str :P
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Dartacalus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Dartacalus »

When it happened I was probably around 65 or 70, and I was not wearing armor.
Dartacalus

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

No way to instakill anyone with at least 40 STR...and you won't take a +25 vanq hally to get guardwhacked for that.

Nergnog

Post by Nergnog »

True, not without a stack of potions which I think he would have noticed. Well, doesn't really matter since you would have gotten all your stuff back I am pretty sure so long as the corpse was blue. Regardless, be more careful next time.

Dartacalus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Dartacalus »

Yea, I did get all of my stuff back, I just wish I knew what happened.
Dartacalus

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

I will stick with my hypothesis that someone peaced the pigs, tamed one of them making him blule, and called guards on you when you provoked them.