Named weapons?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Will anything new ever be added?

SILENCE!
63%
Perhaps, some day, some how?
38%

Total votes: 16

Jupiter

Named weapons?

Post by Jupiter »

I know the entire life-line of this shard depends on Era Accuracy, but I don't think Era Accuracy = Nothing new ever.

I think Era Accuracy means the game play should be kept as free as possible, meaning anything new should be grief-able, loot-able, or otherwise freely enacted upon by all others.

Have there been any suggestions for enhancements that would allow completely free but also increase playability and improve our economy? It just seems like the only economy that this shard currently supports is a Hally/Mage subsidized one. If you are going to make it as a vendor you have absolutely no chance of actually making money unless you are located near a very high trafficked moongate (yew single houses going for 1-2 castle deeds). I've been thinking of some ideas that I don't think would boost all aspects of the economy.

First of all, I think the bounties are a joke. I have never put a bounty on anybody's head, because what would stop somebody from getting 60-120k on their head from killing themselves and taking my gold? Some may have arguments of why this wouldn't happen, but I highly doubt that any PK if they got a bounty of 500k+ would be able to resist the temptation of logging on with their 'alt' and murdering their own murder just for the bounty.

One of my first ideas is having some named kind of named weapons. These would be supremely rare perhaps only given out at or during a player organized shard-wide event. The weapons would be indestructible, non-decay, and have some kind of special attributes (besides just being named) like +25, vanquishing and having 5 rechargeable poison charges, invis charges, feeblemind charges, ect. The weapons would be clearly marked with a graphic so anybody running around with such a weapon would obviously be a high target. I think this would be interesting for all players, because even if you run around with the weapon for a day it would be a blast, and anybody who is an elite pvper would be a target. Now this first idea would definitely require some additional tweaking to prevent inevitable issues such as hoarding or hiding these fantastic weapons, but the foundation of the idea I think is great. I would love to run around with Ragnarok, Excalibur, or Gengir.

Next, for the crafters, PLEASE GIVE US SOMETHING TO MAKE THAT PEOPLE WANT!! Yes I know people occasionally buy GM armor, and occasionally they buy GM clothes, but only if you are located near the closest shopping outlet. Please reward us too for our hard work to master the 'less' used skills. Where is the idea of a secluded vendor out in the middle of the forest who can sell items that only he can make? I admit I have seem some pretty unique things done with GM Clothing vendors, but it would be nice if GM Smith's could have something to do besides make armor that nobody is going to buy unless they are planning on dying. There is a very limited distance that people will go to buy a novelty item, and unless you own a prime Moongate vendor house, you often end up paying your vendor more in upkeep than you can even make selling items. I would love to see colored ingots have special spell damage / physical damage / weight reduction attributes. The price of ingots would again be worthwhile, and it would give murders something valuable to hunt besides dungeon crawlers (imagine if killing a miner was actually worth something besides just 400 stones of iron ore). Or perhaps giving GM tailors a special palette of colors to pick from (NOT NEON). Or allowing GM Bowers to make arrows.

I am not tired of PK's and I agree with Era Accuracy, but I don't think Era Accuracy should be all about "never ever improving anything ever." I am tired of the same 'An Mani', 'Corp Por', 'Kal Vas Flam', combo. It would be nice if PK's actually had to assess the situation before they just run in casting the same spells. And it would be very nice if crafting was a viable source to make money from players (not just NPC's).

Those are some of my thoughts. What does the shard think?
Last edited by Jupiter on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamreallysquall

Re: Named weapons?

Post by iamreallysquall »

not accurate mechanics = vomit
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

same redundant mechanics = vomit, lay down and die.

please provide a more logical debate. I agree that a dramatic change in mechanics would could be detrimental to the overall feel of the game and specifically this shard. However, you must be adaptable if anything for the current mechanics to work. Tell me how wearing a piece of armor that could reduce the amount of damage Corp Por causes be any different than macroing a reflect shirt on? You could not just cast the same damn spells every time on every player. You're assessment of a player would have to be based more on whether or not they flee or fight.

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

simple the shard goal is mechanical accuracy and your asking for quite a few non accurate mechanics which is just not the point of the shard. we are here to play t2a not pick and chose hybrid custom uo.
Magic reflect mechanic accurate vs your suggestion not a t2a mechanic hence no.........
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Some of the stuff you proposed were Mechanics Changes. I think you'd have a better chance at trying to get people to accept Non-Mechanics changes. Era-Accuracy from a mechanics standpoint allows a lot of freedom...Era-Accuracy on almost everything does not allow much freedom.

That having been said, i'm pretty happy with the way things are...except for the lack of Unlimited Furniture Dye Tubs.

In the end, your proposal is NEA and does not meet the goals of this shard and server.

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Zelek Uther
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Zelek Uther »

Jupiter wrote:Or allowing GM Bowers to make arrows.
Just a note: we can already make arrows (or bolts), from shafts* and feathers. Making arrows (or bolts) is called Fletching.

See http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Bowcraft_and_Fletching

* Shafts can be made from boards.
Zadok Uther - Co-founder of Society of Traders [S^T]

Zelek Uther - Guild Master of Terra Nova [TN]

Populus

Post by Populus »

Jupiter wrote:What does the shard think?
I want to kick you in the groin until you can never have babies. :)
ImageImageImage
[cA]

xevec
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by xevec »

Didn't named weapons come out with AoS err Age or Shadows?
Anyway I think adding them here leads us into that direction.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Thank you all for the kick to the groins. lol. I take it in good stride.

I agree that any change at all in anyway has to be very critically analyzed and this would be too great a leap. I believe that eventually something will have to change otherwise all players will just end up getting bored and leaving. UO t2a is perhaps the best thing ever, however, it was not stagnant and was constantly evolving, unfortunately it just evolved into a mutated 'no-risk' and 'too-noisy' type game that was frankly too much no-risk stuff going on, and too little high risk potential.

I'll perhaps wait to support ideas that other may have that are greater than mine. Until then, live on UOSA! Thanks for the great shard!

- Jupiter

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

Jupiter wrote:Thank you all for the kick to the groins. lol. I take it in good stride.

I agree that any change at all in anyway has to be very critically analyzed and this would be too great a leap. I believe that eventually something will have to change otherwise all players will just end up getting bored and leaving. UO t2a is perhaps the best thing ever, however, it was not stagnant and was constantly evolving, unfortunately it just evolved into a mutated 'no-risk' and 'too-noisy' type game that was frankly too much no-risk stuff going on, and too little high risk potential.

I'll perhaps wait to support ideas that other may have that are greater than mine. Until then, live on UOSA! Thanks for the great shard!

- Jupiter

I think what he is saying is " as the game has progressed and changed to be more an more accurate, things are becoming so accurate that the game never changes anymore and is starting to get boring and will get boring for 95% of the players on the shard. This will cause most to stop playing and this will cause a revolving door affect with players. We should change the game slightly and ad a few more things that will progress the game and make it 'different'."

Sounds like a decent enough idea...I think bringing Events back might take care of some of this stagnation...maybe constant event changes and updates and new things every 6 months or so would accomplish this and keep a large percentage of the population interested and playing.