newbie dungeon

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Red

Re: newbie dungeon

Post by Red »

Monsters don't aggro on young people. The only way a monster would attack a provo is if he failed his provo check, and then only the first targetted monster will attack the young player(i think?). With horses, it's fairly easy to work with the max range of provo and bolt as soon as you get the message.

Sure, they are going to die with one dragon breath. There are plenty of other lucrative places to hunt though.

I know that I would be pretty pissed off if I saw a young player hunting around my spots, not being able to rid them and whatnot.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Let me reiterate my point earlier: There probably isn't anything very easy to abuse in the system. So that isn't the problem. The problem with things like the young system is that it takes responsibility out of player hands. If we need a way to help newbies get started, then some player ought to do something about it. I recall one shard I played for a few weeks before I came here has an entire guild called [NEW]. It was a large guild. It only allowed you to be a member for two weeks. You could be kicked out if caught breaking rules. In return, you got access to other players for sparring, group hunting and you got a guild tag [NEW] that would often allow you to go unmolested by pks and thieves since they wanted new people to not quit.

I always thought the best policy for games like this is to minimize GM involvement. Give players the tools to do things and let them do it. If it really needs to be done, then someone will do it.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

chumbucket wrote: I always thought the best policy for games like this is to minimize GM involvement. Give players the tools to do things and let them do it. If it really needs to be done, then someone will do it.
Seconded
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Hernando_Kortez

Post by Hernando_Kortez »

On siege young players could be attacked and killed but they kept their loot, this would be preferable to them being unattackable (which would make the shard feel trammelish). I'm no expert on how the system worked on production shards however.

I am with chumbucket here, the solution would be better to come from the players. Anti pks could defend the graveyard and blue players could help each other more. Having more quests for new players would be no bad thing though.

I think newbies should be encouraged to understand that UO is at times a tough game to play. People are going to attack you, scam you and abuse you and learning how to avoid that is all part of the fun of being new. Players who quit after dying once or experiencing a little hardship would probably leave soon enough anyway as UO is full of ways to die and lose your stuff. We want quality players on T2A, not ones who should really just go and play Everquest or WoW...