Does Magery effect spell damage?

Moderator: Support Moderators

randale

Does Magery effect spell damage?

Post by randale »

I thought only eval int did, unless the below link just means that a higher level spell will cause more damage than a lower level one (eg- flamestrike will do more damage than a explosion against a creature)

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Magery#Formula:

Sandro

Re: Does Magery effect spell damage?

Post by Sandro »

I believe it does, but eval has a much higher affect on spell damage. Besides, the chance to resist a spell is the target's skill in resist vs. the caster's eval skill. So without eval you can resist high level spells like flamestrike down to 8-15(ish) damage, which isn't even half the mana to cast the spell.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

OneEyedJack
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by OneEyedJack »

Magery is also the deciding skill on how much you heal for with Heal and Greater Heal.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Sandro wrote:the chance to resist a spell is the target's skill in resist vs. the caster's eval skill
According to my understanding, the chance to resist a spell is based on magery vs. resist:
http://web.archive.org/web/200002011852 ... stcalc.htm

You are correct though that Eval has a bigger impact on overall damage dealt than magery.

For example, an average e-bolt against someone with 100 resist:
If caster has 100 magery and 50 eval: 13.1
If caster has 50 magery and 100 eval: 16.3

For reference, 100/100 is 17.5.

randale

Post by randale »

\

You are correct though that Eval has a bigger impact on overall damage dealt than magery.

And that's assuming they actually succeed their resist, right? What about if they fail?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I think:

damage depends on eval vs resist
chance to resist depends on mage vs resist

resisting a spell cuts the damage in half. so having low magery is going to get your damage cut in half a lot more often, while having low eval means you just do less damage by default.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

nightshark wrote:I think:

damage depends on eval vs resist
chance to resist depends on mage vs resist
Correct
nightshark wrote:resisting a spell cuts the damage in half. so having low magery is going to get your damage cut in half a lot more often, while having low eval means you just do less damage by default.
Not "a lot" more often. In fact, the diff between 50 magery and 100 magery is 64% of spells resisted vs. 54% of spells resisted, respetively.
randale wrote:

And that's assuming they actually succeed their resist, right? What about if they fail?
That' assuming they succeed their resist the % of the time they're supposed to succeed their resist.

For example... the first situation (100 magery, 50 eval) does an average of 18 damage, and gets resisted 54% of the time. So it's:

(18*.46) + (18/2)*.54 = 13.1

randale

Post by randale »

That' assuming they succeed their resist the % of the time they're supposed to succeed their resist.

For example... the first situation (100 magery, 50 eval) does an average of 18 damage, and gets resisted 54% of the time. So it's:

(18*.46) + (18/2)*.54 = 13.1
[/quote]

I thought the way it works is when you get HIT by a damage spell that's when you roll your resist, so they'd have a %50 chance of resisting it per spell cast on them, in other words 50% chance to resist or %50 chance to and take more damage.

randale

Post by randale »

I've been thinking of possibly going with tactics instead of resisting spells. My skills I plan to GM are

Magery
Eval int
Meditation
Provoke
Musicianship
Tactics
Wrestling

Just tactics helps me when I get hit by a monster, which inevitably does happen in cramped quarters, like in Wrong, it would be good to be able to fight back physically.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

tactics wont help when you get hit by a monster... all tactics will do is make you hit a little bit harder with your punch, which is totally worthless. wrestling is the skill that will determine the hit or miss from the monster. drop tactics for resist and you pretty much have the standard barding template.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

randale

Post by randale »

nightshark wrote:tactics wont help when you get hit by a monster... all tactics will do is make you hit a little bit harder with your punch, which is totally worthless. wrestling is the skill that will determine the hit or miss from the monster. drop tactics for resist and you pretty much have the standard barding template.
Just a little bit harder? Right now it's a zero, I mean I could melee fight if I needed to.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Not sure the exact numbers but with GM tact you will still never hit any harder than about 8 damage against an unarmored opponent. Completely worthless for mobs which have natural AR and hundreds of health. Semi useful against weak mongbats and sewer rats.

With GM wrestling and 0 tactics you'll still do damages with your punches.

Tactics in the wiki: http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Tactics

randale

Post by randale »

nightshark wrote:Not sure the exact numbers but with GM tact you will still never hit any harder than about 8 damage against an unarmored opponent. Completely worthless for mobs which have natural AR and hundreds of health. Semi useful against weak mongbats and sewer rats.

With GM wrestling and 0 tactics you'll still do damages with your punches.

Tactics in the wiki: http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Tactics
What about for finishing off a creature with a totally red health bar?

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

OneEyedJack wrote:Magery is also the deciding skill on how much you heal for with Heal and Greater Heal.
i heal just as much with both mini and gheal on my 50 mage 75 mage 90 mage and gm mage..............
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

No you don't, because magery determines the range healed.

Again, stop giving out false information.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Return to “New Player Help”