Mac users.

Jakks

Mac users.

Post by Jakks »

Does anyone have any information as to how a Mac user would be capable of playing this game?

RawToxic
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Mac users.

Post by RawToxic »

If there are any Operating System Virtualization Packages out there, I would suggest installing XP in a Virtual Environment and running UO from within there. This is a little less difficult than trying to learn how to install linux and use wine. The processor/memory load of a UO client is not very intensive on a newer machine. It should work just fine. Let me find you a good freeware virtualization software to use and I'll let you go from there. Ya know... I saw a guy running XP on a mac within a virtual environment at a QA Training conference I went to a few weeks ago that was doing the main presentation. I'll see what he was using.
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen

Seven Elements - GM Alchemist, Blacksmith, Carpenter, Mage, Musician, Tailor, Tinker
Fletch - GM Bowyer, Miner
Samuel Vane - GM Fisherman
Arsenic Annie - GM Poisoner
Grimm McCutty - PVP Hybrid

RawToxic
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Mac users.

Post by RawToxic »

Ok.. I have your answer... First you will need a way to install a version of windows within a virtual environment. UO will work on Windows 95 up to Vista in both 32 and 64 bit environments. Finding an install disc for windows a liscense may not be your issue. THe issue may be finding the virtualization software and using it. If you are adventurous or semi-pc/os savvy, I'd give it a try. I use virtualization every day in my professional and home environments and I love it.

Although, I'm a VMWare fan.. However, VMWare does not make a client that would run in a macintosh environment. Sorry... :(

You have two choices that I would recommend...

http://www.parallels.com/

^--- This is a software that has great support and I have seen it working on a mac running QA load testing tools in a windows xp virtual environment. You can run it full screen and it would be just like using windows once you figured out how to get into it and use it. The downside is there is a price tag of $79.00. It is worth it for the support alone, documentation, and a pleasant experience if you ask me.

http://www.kju-app.org/

^--- This is software that is freeware that could possibly work but I cannot say for sure if you would be able to get much professional support for problems you may encounter.
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen

Seven Elements - GM Alchemist, Blacksmith, Carpenter, Mage, Musician, Tailor, Tinker
Fletch - GM Bowyer, Miner
Samuel Vane - GM Fisherman
Arsenic Annie - GM Poisoner
Grimm McCutty - PVP Hybrid