Topics related to Second Age
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Poison question

Post by Mens Rea »

"Deadly Poison damages approximately 13% of remaining hit points per 5 seconds"
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Poisoning

How does poison kill anyone if it is only taking a % of remaining HP every time?

Does this mean that poison is more effective when you poison a person at full health?

Era accurate?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Poison question

Post by Kaivan »

Yes, this is the way that poison functioned until UOR. Poison was strictly percent damage based, with no bottom cap on the damage it could do. This meant that at very low levels, poison would have a difficult time of killing a player, and that it was much more effective at full life. This was changed as part of the UOR patch with this line item:
All poisons will now have a minimum damage. Poison does damage based on a percentage of the target's current hit points, at low levels, poison was less effective. If the formula that determines poison damage is less than the minimum associated with the poison, then the target will take the minimum value for damage.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Thanks Kaiv - good tactical knowledge there - cheers.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Too bad store bought cures heal DP.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

What you gonna do? Run to the store during a fight?

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Do store bought cures cure LP? (Lethal Poison)

As in, from a Terathan/Ophidian avenger.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Does the way poison work mean that if you poison someone with 100hp, then keep fighting them, at which point your poisoned weapon hits them again while they are still poisoned then the poison will do less damage? Or does it stay with the original strength from the first poison?

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Mens Rea wrote:Does the way poison work mean that if you poison someone with 100hp, then keep fighting them, at which point your poisoned weapon hits them again while they are still poisoned then the poison will do less damage? Or does it stay with the original strength from the first poison?
Im fairly sure its based on total HP left. Meaning 20% of 100 is 20. THen next tick its 20% of 80, then 20% of 64..and so on.

What im curious about is when the stamina damage kicks in. I Know its when they get low...but what if they didn't get low from damage? If you DP someone with 30 health...is it gonna quickly sap their stamina?

When I get home tonight I can help ya do some tests if you want Mens.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Thing is Ronk, how does poison get a person to 0hp (dead) if the amount of damage is always a % of the total remaining HP?

If that were the case with DP (I have used 20% damage but it's actually less - but it demonstrates the usse) their HP would go something like... 100 80 64 51 41 33 26 21 17 13 11 9 7 6 4 4 3 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 0.47

By this calculation, with DP damaging every 5 seconds it would take just over 2 minutes for deadly poison to kill someone... No way is that an era accurate time frame. Given that DP does less than 20% anyway, it would take even longer.

Also, the Wiki says that once someone gets to 25% HP then their stamina starts to drop if they are deadly poisoned.

I have a GM poisoner and a GM alchemist if you want some help with the tests.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Mens Rea wrote:Thing is Ronk, how does poison get a person to 0hp (dead) if the amount of damage is always a % of the total remaining HP?

If that were the case with DP (I have used 20% damage but it's actually less - but it demonstrates the usse) their HP would go something like... 100 80 64 51 41 33 26 21 17 13 11 9 7 6 4 4 3 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 0.47

By this calculation, with DP damaging every 5 seconds it would take just over 2 minutes for deadly poison to kill someone... No way is that an era accurate time frame. Given that DP does less than 20% anyway, it would take even longer.

Also, the Wiki says that once someone gets to 25% HP then their stamina starts to drop if they are deadly poisoned.

We have 3 accounts and 15 chars...don't we all have a GM poisoner/alchy? LOl.

Without knowing the code, my assumption would be that it rounds up. Thus that 0.47 rounds up to 1, deals 1 damage, and kills you. But I agree...I remember DP being far more deadly during T2A. Then again, it was also much less common.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Rose wrote:Do store bought cures cure LP? (Lethal Poison)

As in, from a Terathan/Ophidian avenger.
Yes, but it might take more than one potion. Normally 3 or 4 should suffice for poison from those, EV's and PE's.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Mens Rea wrote:Thing is Ronk, how does poison get a person to 0hp (dead) if the amount of damage is always a % of the total remaining HP?

This was covered in Patch 110, here's my post:
hicha wrote:Test 1: 100, 87, 74, 62, 49, 37, 24, 12, dead. (45 secs total.)

Test 2: 100, 87, 74, 65, 55, 46, 40, 35, 30, 26, 23, 19, 17, 14, 12, 9, 7, 6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 2, 2, 1, 0-1, 0, dead. (2 min, 25 secs total.)

Test 3: 100, 87, 74, 62, 54, 47, 39, 35, 30, 27, 23, 19, 16, 12, 11, 9, 8, 6, 5, 3, 2, 0, dead. (1 min, 55 secs total.)

Test 4: 100, 87, 74, 65, 55, 46, 36, 32, 27, 23, 18, 13, 9, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 0, 0, dead. (1 min, 55 secs total.)
The way it works is it does an initial percentage calculation, then at each tick interval there is a chance to recalculate the damage (this is how all poisons function.) You can see in my testing how Test 1 was a quick death compared to the latter tests. It is also entirely possible to have it calculate at maximum damage and never calculate again, but its a pretty rare occurrence and chances are your target will just cure anyway.

Kraarug and I posted a lot of info regarding the 'accuracy' of Deadly Poison including lots of field testing, newsgroup convos and archived websites, but in the end we were trumped by Faust's link to a random page and his 'BUT ITS IN THE DEMO' speech. Feel free to search the forums for them, maybe you can help change DP.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

I'll get it sorted thanks Hicha.

Border Patrol

Post by Border Patrol »

Citizens!,
I am pretty confident that when a thief gets DPed byt my anti-theft kits they usually die within 30 seconds or so.

Are DPed weapons rolled differently?

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Trapped boxes have lethal poison, not deadly poison.

Even that seems weak tbh.