Will you leave UOSA if the hally mage is nerfed?

Topics related to Second Age

Yes.
14%
No.
82%
I'll take a break until things are adjusted.
5%

Total votes: 133

iamantitype

Post by iamantitype »

With some of the details of the recent proposed changes to combat being brought to my attention, I thought I'd just get a feel for how some of our vets feel about the possible upcoming nerf of the hally mage.
Solo/duo pking with hally mages is going to be a much more difficult process, and hally mage fights will be much longer, drawn out, slower, and boring.

If the hally mage is nerfed and dexxers or hybrids become the elite class, will you leave this shard?

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Will you leave UOSA if the hally mage is nerfed?

Post by tekai »

What exactly are you talking about?

Swing on the run is just as good for Hally mages as it is for dexers.
[broken image]

iamantitype

Post by iamantitype »

No, not swing on the run. There is a new combat patch being tested and worked on right now that will essentially nerf hally cycling and insta-hit as we know it.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Good, Hally mages have been the only viable character for far to long.

hitting with a hally (with an automated macro) every 2.7 seconds was very stupid and didnt seem like T2A to me at all..
[broken image]

iamantitype

Post by iamantitype »

Who uses macros to cycle a halberd?
I played a hally mage for the duration of OSI T2A and hally cycling/insta-hit were part of my game just like they are here.
Dexxers are plenty powerful right now. People just think that if they hop on a half equipped dexxer they should be able to put up a fight...
Any good player that is on a well-stocked dexxer and knows how to throw purples can give a good hally mage a run for his money.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Many many hally mages use a macro that auto unequips / equips their Hally, maybe you don't, but the good ones do.

You know this change might actually make mages use .. you know ... magic?

Fights on UOSA have always been about luck on hally swings, not mana efficiency. Now instead of back and forth hally swinging, people will meditate and go back to fighting with spells.

Just like every change that has happened so far.. tamer nerfs, poison nerfs, thief nerfs...

Adapt or die
[broken image]

iamantitype

Post by iamantitype »

Do you pvp?
You do realize that a hally macro isn't necesary. Manual hally cycling is quite easy.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

You do realize that no matter how easy it is, that some people will still use macros to make it THAT MUCH faster.

Yes I PVP. I have 2 of your precious hally mages 7x with several hundred kills between them. I also have a poison dexer and a thief and a tamer. All have been nerfed at one time or another.

You are getting off topic though.

Swinging a hally every 2.7 seconds is not era accurate. Mages fighting with magic, and then meditating is. You would get one hally swing to finish people off, that is what it was for.
[broken image]

iamantitype

Post by iamantitype »

Well, hey, good for you if you're staying. I'm not saying you SHOULD quit. I'm just curious how many vets that enjoy hally mage pvp will leave. I suspect these changes are going to drive a large portion of the player base away, but I could be wrong.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Changes are good though man.

It keeps people interested in the game. Since Swing on the run, i've come back and started playing again.

i know this is hard for someone who really enjoys hally mage pvp to hear.. but hally mages are not supposed to be the only viable class. They have been lions among sheep since poison was nerfed about 1.5 years ago. When that happened we lost most of the good non mages. we lost a ton of the orc's, including their leader who lived next to me on the bloody plains. We KNOW that during T2A era, mages WERE afraid of a skilled, well equipped katana / kryss wielding dexers.

When a change happens, people usually want to come back and see what the game is like with the change.

Hally mage pvp is going to go from hally swinging every few seconds, hoping you hit and your opponent doesn't.

now it will be a more spell based pvp. this doesn't mean it is a bad thing. It is simply different.

remember when horses endurance was changed? That was a huge change which has probably caused more people to die then any change ever made on the server, I don't think people quit over it though.
[broken image]

Mr.Sinister
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mr.Sinister »

tekai wrote:Many many hally mages use a macro that auto unequips / equips their Hally, maybe you don't, but the good ones do.
Who's that?

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

tekai wrote:Many many hally mages use a macro that auto unequips / equips their Hally, maybe you don't, but the good ones do.

You know this change might actually make mages use .. you know ... magic?

Fights on UOSA have always been about luck on hally swings, not mana efficiency. Now instead of back and forth hally swinging, people will meditate and go back to fighting with spells.

Just like every change that has happened so far.. tamer nerfs, poison nerfs, thief nerfs...

Adapt or die
This isn't true.......I've played with MANY top pvpers and I know for a fact that none of them used a macro to cycle their hally. PvP is mental chess, it isn't about who has the best macros.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

So be it then, Perhaps they do not use hally macros (anymore).

This doesnt change the fact that the servers mechanics have still favored back and forth hally swinging, instead of casting and meditating.
[broken image]

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

tekai wrote:So be it then, Perhaps they do not use hally macros (anymore).

This doesnt change the fact that the servers mechanics have still favored back and forth hally swinging, instead of casting and meditating.
Good pvpers never used hally macros. The only person that was a respectable pvper that I knew of was Faust. Everyone I PvP'd with in vent, from Chad-, ChoppaX, Cindrew, Loops, Terror, Sandro, Clyde, etc never used hally macros.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

platy

Post by platy »

Mirage is right.
And to think that a patch will "nerf" hally mages by effectively removing insta-hit in a t2a replica shard is niave and VERY hard to beleive.
Yes, the patch may balance the PVP more- but insta-hit will always be here.. It has changed quite a few times since I've been here, but never been "nerfed" so to speak.
There will always be those who study the mechanics and changes and optimize the PVP style to it: Hence our hit cycle method. Before that it was the "double hit" method, before that I can't even remember!
I wouldn't leave this shard either way - There is no where else left to play worth my time and effort.