Fame and Karma

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Fame and Karma

Post by Mens Rea »

Yo yo yo this is yo home boy Mens Rea with a message from 1998.

Yo see yo when yo killed yo monsters yo the player who made the KILL SHOT was the G who got all the fame yo

It wasn't divided between people who damaged it yo

I'm all about the kill shot.

Rusty

Re: Fame and Karma

Post by Rusty »

Actually, I do remember that being the way.
Quite often people would snake that final shot after you put all in the effort.... or vice versa!

platy

Post by platy »

He's right.. me and my friends spent hours in the LL room on GreatLakes.. it was PACKED with dexers/theives/mages.. we would precast flamestrike and wait until the lord was low and target to steal the fame+karma.. if we didn't get the fame and karma we'd try to loot the gold.. which was usually stolen before it died
those were literally my funnest times playing UO b/c deceit was the "hotspot" and PK runs were common

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

No doubt. Fixing immediately.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I had assumed this was already implemented. While we are on this topic provokers shouldn't receive fame/karma if the provoked creature kills its target. It should strictly go by the person who actually deals the killing blow.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:I had assumed this was already implemented. While we are on this topic provokers shouldn't receive fame/karma if the provoked creature kills its target. It should strictly go by the person who actually deals the killing blow.
Aye. I don't think this applies the same way to Tamed and Summon creatures though does it? Should you get the fame/karma for their kills?

Faust

Post by Faust »

I forgot about that form of killing. I believe tamers do receive the fame and karma though. I didn't have a tamer back than so I can't be for certain on it. However, I do remember receiving fame and karma when your summoned EV would kill a creature. I would assume this falls under the same category for a tamer.

The only reason I can be certain on the provoke issue is because of this patch note from November 11th, 1998. This also supports my memory on the issue also.
Provocation will now be considered a single act, as far as the reputation system is concerned, instead of "controlling" the creature for the long term. This means that actions taken by the creature after your provocation is complete will not affect your standing in the reputation system. (This also means that you will not gain karma and fame for creatures your provoked creatures kill. We will see about adding this back in eventually.)

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Score:

Mens Rea = 9
Trammel = 0

blister

Post by blister »

That last part about the bard thing sounds strange to me. I remember my bard running with lord title and fame close to be capped and it wasnt because I was casting spells to get the kill..

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

I was a tamer in 1999, and I got fame for everything my pet got the kill shot on. The pet was like an extension of self, like EV's and summons. Provoking I never did till UO:R so i've no idea the limitations on that.

Welcome to Flash's most important question: Poisoning! Will I get fame if my poison kills something? I use it to PVM all the time....
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Faust

Post by Faust »

blister wrote:That last part about the bard thing sounds strange to me. I remember my bard running with lord title and fame close to be capped and it wasnt because I was casting spells to get the kill..
There isn't a mention of provoke being reactivated for fame/karma gains until the UOR patch.

"Looting rights for monsters will be based on a point system. The system will track players as they attack a monster, assigning “points” based on the damage they do and the number of times they strike the monster. Bonus “points” will be awarded for both the first strike and the kill shot. These “points” are then used to determine which characters have access to its corpse. Damage and attack totals done by tamed or provoked animals/monsters will count towards the point total of the tamer/bard."

Here is also a reputation faq for the latest '99 stratics article for bards.
Reputation FAQ: Bards

How will the Provocation skill work?
Provoking a creature sets the bard as the creature's controller. As soon as the provoked creature attacks another target, the bard is no longer the controller of that creature. If the creature attacks an Innocent (different from the original target) after the initial provocation, then the bard will no longer be the controller, and the bard will not be flagged as a Criminal or Aggressor towards the Innocent.
The following explains how provoking a creature to attack a target relates to Karma, Fame and Criminal flagging:

Creatures dying as a result of Provocation does not result in Fame or Karma gain for the Bard.
If the target is a pet or good NPC, the bard is flagged as a Criminal. If the pet or good NPC dies, the bard will lose Karma.
If the target is an Innocent, the bard is flagged as a Criminal and Aggressor and he can be reported as a Murderer if the Innocent dies. (This will also result in the normal Karma loss associated with being reported)

How long do I remain set as the controller?
As long as the creature is in combat with the original target.

Here is the reputation FAQ for controlled creatures on the '99 stratics web site.
If my pet kills a monster will I gain Reputation?
Yes, both Karma and Fame (if warranted).
All this should clear up both of these issues.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Flash Hardstar wrote:I was a tamer in 1999, and I got fame for everything my pet got the kill shot on. The pet was like an extension of self, like EV's and summons. Provoking I never did till UO:R so i've no idea the limitations on that.

Welcome to Flash's most important question: Poisoning! Will I get fame if my poison kills something? I use it to PVM all the time....
I'm positive you did not get the fame if the poison got the kill.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Oops, I left the poison issue out...
Reputation FAQ: Poison

How will poisoning work?
- Any use of the poisoning skill will lower Karma.
- With poisoned food, the poisoner is fully responsible for any victims of the poisoned food. If an Innocent eats poisoned food, the poisoner is flagged Criminal. If an Innocent dies after being poisoned, he can report the poisoner.
- You won't gain fame or karma by killing due to poison. Poison damage doesn't have a source in the same way that most other indirect damage methods do. You'll have to deal the killing blow by other means.
- With poisoned weapons, only the wielder can be reported if he kills an Innocent. The poisoner is not responsible in this case.
Now all issues should be cleared up.

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

So Faust i'm not sure if I understand the last part of that post... if I poison someone with my blade and toss it out and fight with an unpoisoned kryss to finish them off, but let the poison kill them, I don't take a count?
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Flash Hardstar wrote:So Faust i'm not sure if I understand the last part of that post... if I poison someone with my blade and toss it out and fight with an unpoisoned kryss to finish them off, but let the poison kill them, I don't take a count?
No, because either way you are the aggressor. It's saying if you poison a sword, give it to me, and I poison someone, and then the poison kills that person....you are not responsible.

I.E. its safe to poison other peoples weapons with no risk of going red, unlike if you poison food or trap someone elses chest.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock