Raising stealing

Topics related to Second Age
egamretsam

Raising stealing

Post by egamretsam »

I've searched the forum and found a few topics but none questioning why stealing from the ground was removed as a method to raise stealing. This method was the best way to raise stealing by yourself. It was a nice method because it gave thieves a chance to raise the skill by themselves. It is almost as ridiculous as say requiring magic to be cast on another player to raise magery.

This was an era specific feature and should be considered to be put into the game.

Just in case this isn't already covered, the stealing skill would increase with the appropriate level of difficulty. You wanted to steal an item that weighed a specific amount of stones to earn good gains and to raise stealing effeciently.

For all intents and purposes use a bag for 1 stone, and add a single bottle into the bag to make the object (bag) weight 2 stones). Stealing from a stack is an inefficient method to raise stealing.

Stealing skill 0-10 required stealing an item weighing 1 stone
Stealing skill 11-20 required stealing an item weighing 2 stones
Stealing skill 21-30 required stealing an item weighing 3 stones
Stealing skill 31-40 required stealing an item weighing 4 stones
Stealing skill 41-50 required stealing an item weighing 5 stones
Stealing skill 51-60 required stealing an item weighing 6 stones
Stealing skill 61-70 required stealing an item weighing 7 stones
Stealing skill 71-80 required stealing an item weighing 8 stones
Stealing skill 81-90 required stealing an item weighing 9 stones
Stealing skill 91-100 required stealing an item weighing 10 stones

I hope this information helps, as I have read several posts talking about stealing from a stack... The requirements outlined above was the way it was back in the good ol days.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Raising stealing

Post by Hoots »

Well. this doesnt answer your question but stealing is about as simple as can be with a guilded 2nd account.

You can steal from a player at any skill if he is in your guild.
So a couple bags of the weight you want to steal on your 2nd account, then run organize on your thief to a container on the ground and a restock on your 2nd account from the same container... then goto bed.

I think i gm'd yoinking in 2-3 days of afk macroing.

If you are hard up for a guild i have an inactive stone i could add you for a week or so. Just PM me if you need it.

egamretsam

Post by egamretsam »

Hoots wrote:Well. this doesnt answer your question but stealing is about as simple as can be with a guilded 2nd account.

You can steal from a player at any skill if he is in your guild.
So a couple bags of the weight you want to steal on your 2nd account, then run organize on your thief to a container on the ground and a restock on your 2nd account from the same container... then goto bed.

I think i gm'd yoinking in 2-3 days of afk macroing.

If you are hard up for a guild i have an inactive stone i could add you for a week or so. Just PM me if you need it.
Hoots,
Thanks for the offer but there is a method (using Razor of course) to GM stealing using 2 accounts that are not guilded with neither of them being in the thieves guild to raise stealing in an automated process in the woods ;P

I was just pointing out that raising stealing via stealing a dropped item off the ground was an era specific "feature."

If for some reason my secret method is usurped by a patch then I will call for your assistance with the guild stone ;]

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

GM stealing is already way too much of a gimme and not era accurate at all, be happy with it

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

egamretsam

Post by egamretsam »

Hemperor wrote:GM stealing is already way too much of a gimme and not era accurate at all, be happy with it
It is a gimme, however in case yo weren't aware, this uosecondage.com is trying to emulate the era. I am just providing input so they can achieve this.

keuse

Post by keuse »

Yeah what gives?....

I cant steal off of the ground or on a pack horse?...
This was era accurate, at least stealing from a pack horse was.
this is bullshit... just like taking away gaining resist in town was.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

keuse wrote:Yeah what gives?....

I cant steal off of the ground or on a pack horse?...
This was era accurate, at least stealing from a pack horse was.
this is bullshit... just like taking away gaining resist in town was.
OMG WTF OMG WTF

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

i gmed 2 thieves when i started here back in march. and there was no way to steal from pack horses then, its absolutely not a big deal. and btw, using things like empty bottles stacked can still follow your t2a guide with stones. being stacked at a certain level of skill you wont be able to steal more than 2 (2stones) and so on.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

keuse wrote: I cant steal off of the ground or on a pack horse?...
You can steal from a packhorse

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Derrick wrote:
keuse wrote: I cant steal off of the ground or on a pack horse?...
You can steal from a packhorse
GG
Don't you know the bird is the word?

I'm just kidding. But not really.

Divvet

Post by Divvet »

egamretsam wrote:I've searched the forum and found a few topics but none questioning why stealing from the ground was removed as a method to raise stealing. This method was the best way to raise stealing by yourself. It was a nice method because it gave thieves a chance to raise the skill by themselves. It is almost as ridiculous as say requiring magic to be cast on another player to raise magery.

This was an era specific feature and should be considered to be put into the game.

Just in case this isn't already covered, the stealing skill would increase with the appropriate level of difficulty. You wanted to steal an item that weighed a specific amount of stones to earn good gains and to raise stealing effeciently.

For all intents and purposes use a bag for 1 stone, and add a single bottle into the bag to make the object (bag) weight 2 stones). Stealing from a stack is an inefficient method to raise stealing.

Stealing skill 0-10 required stealing an item weighing 1 stone
Stealing skill 11-20 required stealing an item weighing 2 stones
Stealing skill 21-30 required stealing an item weighing 3 stones
Stealing skill 31-40 required stealing an item weighing 4 stones
Stealing skill 41-50 required stealing an item weighing 5 stones
Stealing skill 51-60 required stealing an item weighing 6 stones
Stealing skill 61-70 required stealing an item weighing 7 stones
Stealing skill 71-80 required stealing an item weighing 8 stones
Stealing skill 81-90 required stealing an item weighing 9 stones
Stealing skill 91-100 required stealing an item weighing 10 stones

I hope this information helps, as I have read several posts talking about stealing from a stack... The requirements outlined above was the way it was back in the good ol days.
he does have a good point, maybe research should be put into this, because surely if this info is accurate it should be implemented for era accuracy

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Actually, stealing was made difficulty based some time during mid-UOR. During late T2A (around December 99/January 2000), I GMed my stealing off of 40 or so dye tubs that I stored on my pack horse in my Moonglow stable master's spot (it was a GM placed stablemaster right next to the inn). At the time, the only thing affecting gains for stealing was a variety of targets, meaning 1 dye tub didn't do the trick, but 40 of them would.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Slade

Post by Slade »

Kaivan wrote:Actually, stealing was made difficulty based some time during mid-UOR. During late T2A (around December 99/January 2000), I GMed my stealing off of 40 or so dye tubs that I stored on my pack horse in my Moonglow stable master's spot (it was a GM placed stablemaster right next to the inn). At the time, the only thing affecting gains for stealing was a variety of targets, meaning 1 dye tub didn't do the trick, but 40 of them would.

+1 to the dye tub method

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

keuse angry
keuse smash
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

Cheapsuit

Post by Cheapsuit »

I get a message saying I'm too young to join the thieves guild. How old do you have to be?