Quick magic weapon question.

Topics related to Second Age
kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Quick magic weapon question.

Post by kill drizitz »

what attributes on a magic weapon make it better than a GM wep? is it only the damage bonus attributes (ruin,might,force,power,vanq) or can a weapons tactic bonuses give an advantage over GM?

example: is a "surpassingly accurate hally of ruin" better than gm? how about just a "surpassingly accurate hally"? i assume anything with +25 tactics would be better than gm weps even without damage bonus. i just want to be clear.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Quick magic weapon question.

Post by DrFaustus »

Well, given that tactics is your damage modifier, anything with more tactics on it, is going to give you more damage. However, I'm not 100% sure how much, say: 5% tactics would give you in comparison to a fully repaired GM crafted weapon...

Now, I can say anything starting at force is equivalent or better than GM crafted weapons...so anything with Force + a tactics modifier that isn't damaged would be better than a GM made weapon...
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

Red

Post by Red »

In my estimation, a ruin weapon with more than 10 tactics would be better damage than a gm weapon when comparing damage. However, GM weapons also have a durability bonus to them and I don't know the number.

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

Personally, I've only used force weapons over GM weapons. If it isn't force then I either put it in the trash barrell or sell it to vendors. I'm not positive but unless might/ruin have serious modifiers then they aren't better than GM made. Obviously like the previous posters were saying, tactics modifiers also help.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Magic weaponry without any hard damage bonuses such as Ruin, Might, etc. can still be better than GM quality weaponry, it just depends on the weapon. A GM quality weapon adds +4 damage to your damage roll before division, so the resulting damage is +2 damage after damage division.

The same concept of resulting damage can be applied to tactics modifiers, but in a different method. If we take the generic equation:

(Tactics + 50)/100 = % damage dealt

And apply it to a weapon, we can get a feel for exactly how "accurate" a weapon needs to be to yield a superior damage to that of a GM weapon.

Take the halberd for example; the damage for a halberd ranges from 5-49. Applying the tactics bonus (before division) to a regular halberd yields a 13.5 average damage increase. The damage increase can be calculated using each of the various tactics modifiers, and the first tactics modifier that yields an average damage increase of greater than 17.5 is effectively a superior weapon to that of a GM quality weapon. Here are the average damage increases for various accuracies for the halberd before division:

Accurate: 14.85 average damage
Surpassingly accurate: 16.2 average damage
Eminently accurate: 17.55 average damage
Exceedingly accurate: 18.9 average damage
Supremely accurate: 20.25 average damage

As you can see, eventually having a more accurate weapon does yield a greater damage than that of a GM weapon in the case of a halberd. Of course, if we applied this same principle to a regular dagger which has a damage range of 5-15 and a 4.5 average damage increase, we would get very different results. Here are the average damage increases for various accuracies for the halberd before division (remember that to be better than GM quality, the average damage increase needs to be more than 8.5):

Accurate: 4.95 average damage
Surpassingly accurate: 5.4 average damage
Eminently accurate: 5.85 average damage
Exceedingly accurate: 6.3 average damage
Supremely accurate: 6.75 average damage

In the case of a dagger, no "accuracy" bonus yields better damage than that of a GM weapon.

Overall, accuracy plays a role in all weapon damage; its just a matter of the attributes of the base weapon itself that determine how much accuracy plays a role with that given weapon.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Red

Post by Red »

The more damage the weapon does, the more damage the tactics modifier adds to the total damage output. Right?

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Red wrote:The more damage the weapon does, the more damage the tactics modifier adds to the total damage output. Right?
Yes, because its a percent bonus.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Thor

Post by Thor »

Sorry to Rez this one... I don't suppose anyone has a chart?

Edit: sorry, I pulled this up on google search before I saw the thread just below...