Variety on the server?

Topics related to Second Age
couponfork

Variety on the server?

Post by couponfork »

Is this server just like every other server today? Filled with the same cookie-cutter builds over and over that just spam spells? I'm looking for a server that is actually enjoyable not one where you have to be exactly like everyone else to succeed.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Corbin

Re: Variety on the server?

Post by Corbin »

UOSA is exactly how it was back in T2A to the best of the admins ability to make it so. You can be whatever you want to be here.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

mrbojangles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by mrbojangles »

Well, it depends on what you want to do. This server is basically made up of two types of players, powergamers and casual players. Powergamers will tell you to make every character fit the tried-and-true templates. Casual gamers, are more interested in just having fun.

If you want to participate in high-end competitive PVP, then you pretty much have no choice but to use one of the couple viable pvp templates. Although i have certainly seen some oddball templates use effectively in the field.

If you just want to have fun, then do whatever you want and do. There are hundreds of possible character templates that can be a lot of fun. But don't expect to be able to farm 100k an hour with a pvm thief, or consistently win in 1v1s when your tank mage has begging as it's 7th skill.

Whether or not you have fun is all up to you, and is not reliant on what template you chose to use.
Omar Little(irc) / Mr Bojangles / Bowie / Snake Plisken / Martin Van Buren / Dirty Ore

Visit the The Yew Gate Shop for everything you need.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

mrbojangles wrote:Well, it depends on what you want to do. This server is basically made up of two types of players, powergamers and casual players. Powergamers will tell you to make every character fit the tried-and-true templates. Casual gamers, are more interested in just having fun.

If you want to participate in high-end competitive PVP, then you pretty much have no choice but to use one of the couple viable pvp templates. Although i have certainly seen some oddball templates use effectively in the field.

If you just want to have fun, then do whatever you want and do. There are hundreds of possible character templates that can be a lot of fun. But don't expect to be able to farm 100k an hour with a pvm thief, or consistently win in 1v1s when your tank mage has begging as it's 7th skill.

Whether or not you have fun is all up to you, and is not reliant on what template you chose to use.
I agree. The key to fun is to play the game on your own terms and not try to fit in perfectly with the accepted ways of playing (i.e., LEETPVPOMG and PvM).

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Also it depends what you consider succeeding. Some nights, to me, succeeding is stealing someones mandrake root, not necessarily killing them. Other times it may be ninja looting that ancient wyrm before you can, in other words, you don't always need to engage in toe-to-toe leet pvp to "win".
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

McSchnurke

Post by McSchnurke »

Kabal wrote:Also it depends what you consider succeeding. Some nights, to me, succeeding is stealing someones mandrake root, not necessarily killing them. Other times it may be ninja looting that ancient wyrm before you can, in other words, you don't always need to engage in toe-to-toe leet pvp to "win".
I hope you got their black pearl first.

couponfork

Post by couponfork »

Ok, thank you guys so much for the help! I'm not big on PVP, always kind of sucked at it but I do enjoy the risk of possibly getting slaughtered, you guys have convinced me though, see ya in game!

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Don't listen to forum or irc trolls and do whatever you like in the game.

Play by your own rules.

Kyrie

Post by Kyrie »

couponfork wrote:Is this server just like every other server today? Filled with the same cookie-cutter builds over and over that just spam spells? I'm looking for a server that is actually enjoyable not one where you have to be exactly like everyone else to succeed.

1: No, it isn't at all
2, Sort of, especially if you want to PVP which is basically 6 critical skills to train with 1 that you can flop about with but people rarely do, the mechanics are also terrible compared to a bit later on in the UO history
3, You will find that, because that's why I'm here.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Dexxing isn't quite accurate right though there is lots of debate as to just what is wrong. However, the great thing about this shard is you can always predict where it will go, and that is toward era accuracy. Unlike 99% of other shards where 'l33t ideas' and shit get implemented and ultimately ruin things.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

couponfork wrote:Is this server just like every other server today? Filled with the same cookie-cutter builds over and over that just spam spells? I'm looking for a server that is actually enjoyable not one where you have to be exactly like everyone else to succeed.

this is the tank mage era, so on the field you'll just find that mostly. But some of us play what they actually enjoy, no matter what build is l33t. I am a warrior (macer and a fencer) and I love it.
Shop at Stop&Shop in Yew. We restock daily!

Selling bulk boards and ingots. PM me over forums or in IRC.

Are you new on server? Check our site out: http://uonew.cephcom.net

HI IM MIKE

Post by HI IM MIKE »

chumbucket wrote:I agree. The key to fun is to play the game on your own terms and not try to fit in perfectly with the accepted ways of playing (i.e., LEETPVPOMG and PvM).
Your statement is contradictory. Who'se to say that people who enjoy pvp are only trying to fit in, and not actually enjoying that build for what it is? Your blind hatred for anything to do with PvP makes you sound ignorant.
nightshark wrote:I can't comment on going out looking for fights for the sake of fights in the field because it's never been something I've been interested in.

McSchnurke

Post by McSchnurke »

HI IM MIKE wrote:
chumbucket wrote:I agree. The key to fun is to play the game on your own terms and not try to fit in perfectly with the accepted ways of playing (i.e., LEETPVPOMG and PvM).
Your statement is contradictory. Who'se to say that people who enjoy pvp are only trying to fit in, and not actually enjoying that build for what it is? Your blind hatred for anything to do with PvP makes you sound ignorant.
Wow. . . You only read what you wanted to hear there, man. Give him a break. None of what you appear to see was said there.