Smelting and the mining skill

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
Adam_Ant

Smelting and the mining skill

Post by Adam_Ant »

I was just on test and found I could smelt valorite armor with 0 mining skill. I don't think this is correct based upon the information here:

Publish - September 22, 1999
The following was released as the September 22nd Publish on September 22, 1999.
Smelting
  • Armor and weapons can be smelted back into ingots.
  • Items you wish to smelt must be in your back-pack.
  • Smelting will be tied to the mining skill. The higher your skill in mining, the more ingots you will get back.
  • The more wear and tear on an item, the less ingots it will return.
  • Items purchased from an NPC will yield only one ingot when smelted.
  • Smelted magic items will yield regular ingots.
  • Smelting special metals will yield ingots of that color, with the exception of dyeable kite shields.
  • Smelting dyeable kite shields will return regular ingots regardless of the color of the ingots used to make the shield.
  • To smelt an item:
    • Double-click a smithing tool, such as a hammer.
    • The smithing window will open and contain a forge.
    • Double-clicking the forge will bring up a targeting cursor.
    • Clicking armor or a weapon that is in your backpack will smelt that item.
    • You will receive a number of ingots depending on the item itself, its wear and tear, and your mining skill.
I had zero mining skill and was able to smelt 6 valorite plate chests without failure.

So shouldn't my mining skill be taken into account when smelting weapons/armor of metal types > iron (as described in the following table.)

Tests:
(A) set blacksmith 100, mining 0 - smelt val chest yields 8 ingots (I think this is wrong - smelting is based upon mining skill)
(B) 1st attempt: set blacksmith 0, mining 100 - smelt val chest fails with insufficient skills message (I think this is wrong - smelting is based upon mining skill)
(C) 2nd attempt: set blacksmith 0, mining 100 - smelt val chest yields 15 ingots

Getting more ingots for high mining skill and less ingots for low mining skill is correct, but I believe difficulty should also be based upon mining skill.
Finally, in reviewing the RunUO implementation for smelting I see that they have in fact implemented this exact difficulty table in their Resmelt.cs

Code: Select all

double difficulty = 0.0;

switch (resource)
				{
					case CraftResource.DullCopper: difficulty = 65.0; break;
					case CraftResource.ShadowIron: difficulty = 70.0; break;
					case CraftResource.Copper: difficulty = 75.0; break;
					case CraftResource.Bronze: difficulty = 80.0; break;
					case CraftResource.Gold: difficulty = 85.0; break;
					case CraftResource.Agapite: difficulty = 90.0; break;
					case CraftResource.Verite: difficulty = 95.0; break;
					case CraftResource.Valorite: difficulty = 99.0; break;
				}

if (difficulty > from.Skills[SkillName.Mining].Value)
					return SmeltResult.NoSkill;
I guess the answer could be that RunUO is just wrong and that the difficulty table applied to ore only, but it seemed worth checking.

Derrick

Re: Smelting and the mining skill

Post by Derrick »

Thanks much for this post. I believe you're correct. We do have a check when smelting ore, but the smelting (recycling) of armor is missing this check. Will fix.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."