Archery question

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Archery question

Post by Mens Rea »

How come archery weapons give extra archery skill instead of tactics? Does this mean that they hit more often, as opposed to doing more damage like melee weapons which give extra tactics?

Is archery the same as melee fighting skills where if you have 100 skill vs 100 skill you hit 50% of the time?

It may just be anecdotal, and I will do more testing if these questions are answered, but in my experience archery seems to hit less than 50% vs a gm fighting skill.

Sandro

Re: Archery question

Post by Sandro »

Yes you have an improved chance to hit with additional archery skill.

Works the same way as it would if you used powerscrolls to get to 120 <skill>

You will hit and dodge attacks more often, with a +archery bow.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

I see... Is there anything inherent about the archery skill which means if you shoot at a moving target (which is nonetheless within range) then you will miss more often than if they are stationary?

Also, if you are facing, for instance, west, then you attack an enemy to the north, and you automatically spin around when you shoot does this have any effect on your chance to hit?

The effect of the latter question seems to be affected by the effect of the former question because if you just stand there and someone runs around in circles then you automatically face in the direction of your target - which seems to have the effect of "movement" thereby ruining your shot in some cirumstances...

tanmits

Post by tanmits »

They may just be outrunning your arrows. Some are really good at dodging them. Last night, I shot someone running toward me at an angle. My arrow began following them, then they passed me, then they ran off screen before the arrow could hit! It was a lucky dodge, but I was impressed. I've never noticed any accuracy issues from turning or anything, but haven't tested. Most of my misses come from people just outrunning arrows or me moving while the arrow is in the air (which nullifies the shot).
S&S Yew: fully stocked bulk reagents, weapons, armor, explosion traps, and fishing spoils. Also, temporarily carrying POTION KEGS!

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Mens Rea wrote:(which is nonetheless within range)

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

The question is whether turning is considered moving and whether it should be. Because if they run in a circle around you and you change facing direction, and if that counts as moving, I think that would effectively reset your shot and make it impossible to ever get a shot off.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

In the demo, actively spinning your character in place is considered movement and is indicated by an extremely fast reduction in stamina. This 'quirk' is noted on stratics during 99, although I will have to find the specific page that it is mentioned on.

Beyond that, testing will need to be conducted regarding archery shots being reset when a player turns as part of combat (in the demo turning forcefully is handled using a function called faceHere which we don't know the effects of on movement restrictions), or whether an archer turns to face their opponent at all on the demo.

Finally, archery does not have any known information that indicates that it is less successful at striking a moving opponent that is in range at the time that the hit or miss is evaluated.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

McSchnurke

Post by McSchnurke »

I assumed this was to keep a nice magic heavy x-bow from doing like 70+ dmg per hit.