Swing on the run (dexing)

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: Swing on the run (dexing)

Post by Faust »

Those sources are before the insta hit patch(which the movement restriction could have been implemented) that was published in February '99 and it's already been noted that there was no movement restriction with the original swing timer from the demo.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

The movement restriction (as we see on UOSA) would have been a big deal during t2a, as it is here. Therefore in all likelihood, a patch of that magnitude would have been talked about, and after searching google groups for the last 4 hours (as well as the countless hours I have racked up as a total) I am very convinced nothing of the sort took place.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Faust wrote:Those sources are before the insta hit patch(which the movement restriction could have been implemented) that was published in February '99 and it's already been noted that there was no movement restriction with the original swing timer from the demo.
Demo was never the end all because a lot of what's in the demo is drastically different than the content of the actual live shard.

Faust, it's okay to be wrong. And if you aren't, oh well. Once Derrick implements this the shard will get more population. No one is wrong here, let's just make the smarter decision.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Faust wrote:Those sources are before the insta hit patch(which the movement restriction could have been implemented) that was published in February '99 and it's already been noted that there was no movement restriction with the original swing timer from the demo.
Key words in fausts post: could have been. The counter is could not have been. Please find proof to support what you just said faust rather than just assuming and going off yer memory. Lol

In all seriousness, it always feels like these threads turn into forum pvp where someones goal is only to gimp a person or be 'right'. Its important to look out for whats best for the shard (which is always open to opinion) as well as what is accurate.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Faust

Post by Faust »

Ronk, the mini patch clearly uses mechanics present in the '98 swing timer code... therefore, the movement restriction 'could have been' implemented anywhere in between '98 and '00 as mentioned previously. The same holds true for your argument too. The movement restriction 'could not have been' implemented. However, the only difference is that we have a patch note that suggests there could have been where your argument has nothing but a bunch of crap trying to stick to a wall after being flung. Again, if you are looking for this to be changed would highly recommend putting forth the effort and work to come up with a logical process and the code for Derrick like several others did a year ago that he further developed into his own entity.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Here is a flow chart diagram that represents the exact code for the original swing timer in the summer of '98.

PS: Still have not had time to complete the advance swing state function diagram... but at least this is a start for you.

Get to work my sons.
Attachments
combatswing.jpg

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Isn't it amazing how a simple mechanic is killing the pvp community?

I am suprised anyone quit over the "stop to hit" but they did. UOSA is still a great shard but if it was changed we'd have more playing.
Last edited by Psilo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Psilo wrote:It never existed in UO, or people would have talked about it. I NEVER remember having to stop to swing.
Mini-Update Apr 28 2000 3:30PM CST - http://update.uo.com/design_195.html wrote: Additionally, the timer that determines melee weapon swing times (combat timer) will now advance as the player is moving. Thus, melee weapon users will no longer be required to stop moving before swinging.
Does that sound like it 'next existed in UO'? :roll:

Psilo wrote:Can't wait till this gets changed, then our population will increase drastically.
Very naive to actually believe this mechanic will all of a sudden create a population boost... if it actually does get implemented for no reason besides whining and griping I bet you the population will still average the same amount of activity.

Psilo wrote:Faust either has a poor memory, didn't pvp in 1999, didn't play in 1999 and is just defending his EGO instead of allow a shard he doesn't play to implement a patch that will gain us a population.

This simply needs to go, Faust all of what you said is NULL because it's mostly taken from the demo(extremely inaccurate to the live shard of 1998-1999) and a "maybe" patch note. That's not substantial evidence, that's "maybe, because I don't want my EGO to be hurt".
Where is the evidence besides "oh this didnt exist" even though the current evidence suggests other wise?

Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

There is none.

*Edit*: but i did find this in the patch notes.

10/20/98
"The delay before the first swing or shot will be much shorter; also, the time it takes to recover from movement in archery will also be much shorter (though the firing rate overall remains the same). You will not need to get new weapons for this change."

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/1998_Patch_Notes

It talks about the first swing or shot taken being shorter. From my undestanding that would have to be when you stop to swing since you cannot swing on the run.

SO i guess that "could" or does mean that each additional swing after the first would revert back to the SS (swing speed) based upon your weapons actual SS and dex (stamina).

The note on the archers is intersting also. There could be a high possibility though that "they" (developers here) already implemented those two things. 99% of you guys/girls been here longer than me so you guys be the judge.

As for me I am just passing on hard physical evidence much like throwing a raw steak into a den of lions. :D

But as far as swinging "on the run" it appears that was not changed until 2000. According to the "hard physical evidence" A.K.A. Patch Notes.

BTW I really enjoyed this thread it was rather entertaining to say the least.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Pied Piper wrote:There is none.

*Edit*: but i did find this in the patch notes.

10/20/98
"The delay before the first swing or shot will be much shorter; also, the time it takes to recover from movement in archery will also be much shorter (though the firing rate overall remains the same). You will not need to get new weapons for this change."

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/1998_Patch_Notes

It talks about the first swing or shot taken being shorter. From my undestanding that would have to be when you stop to swing since you cannot swing on the run.

SO i guess that "could" or does mean that each additional swing after the first would revert back to the SS (swing speed) based upon your weapons actual SS and dex (stamina).

The note on the archers is intersting also. There could be a high possibility though that "they" (developers here) already implemented those two things. 99% of you guys/girls been here longer than me so you guys be the judge.

As for me I am just passing on hard physical evidence much like throwing a raw steak into a den of lions. :D

But as far as swinging "on the run" it appears that was not changed until 2000. According to the "hard physical evidence" A.K.A. Patch Notes.

BTW I really enjoyed this thread it was rather entertaining to say the least.
Small note, that patch note is from the 1/20/98 patch notes, not the 10/20/98 patch notes. Thus, the changes are reflected in the demo code.

Also, for those interested, I have spoken with Derrick and he is currently reviewing the swing code. I'll probably hear back from him on what the current mechanics are, and we will put something up on test if we find that something needs to be revised.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

thanks kaivan

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

i'd like to try this out on test. looking back over this thread, my real beef (when it comes to the swing timer) is with trotting. even when stopping the swinging mechanics appear crippled when it comes to trotting and could not be more annoying.
Last edited by Matty on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Matty wrote:i'd like to try this out on test. looking back over this thread, my real beef (when it comes to the swing timer) is with trotting. it appears crippled when it comes to trotting and could not be more annoying.
I look forward to it too. I think I missed the first time it was implemented and for some reason I get the sneaking suspicion that everyone who 'tested' it were tank mages and so the major flaws/inaccuracies from the dexxer side were never voiced/noted/tested.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Yay testing!
Est Sularus oth Mithas

kwhiz73
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kwhiz73 »

I'm thankful that this is at least being looked at. It's been debated enough in a constructive manner that it should be looked at. Any of us who pvped regularly in this era remember dexxers being a viable build. I actually remember playing my mage regulary back during this era and almost dreading fighting a good dexer. Paralyzing frequently was almost a necessity to keep the kat's and kryss's from beating you down. It almost seemed like if you could para enough to run your opponent out of trapped pouches, you'd gain the advantage. Until that happened it was a lesson in survival, unless you got a good jump on the fight.

Only thing one has to do now to survive a dexxer is keep moving. Losing a melee battle to an armorless mage after I've survived the intial mana dump just isn't right.

Disclaimer: Never said I was good at pvp---just did it all the time. I think this shard almost has the all star cast of great pvp players from our era.