Swing on the run (dexing)

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Swing on the run (dexing)

Post by Matty »

any chance that this can be brought back? dexing really sucks.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Swing on the run (dexing)

Post by Ronk »

I would say no. While most can agree that dexing (and especially archery) suck...the nature of this shard is to be accurate to T2A. If one exception were to be made then more would have to be made.

The only thing I could see as justified to add (and even it is a stretch) is the dex based healing because it WAS around in the T2A era...the problem is, at that point you would have to justify reasons for picking and choosing various aspects from patch notes because we certainly wouldn't want to implement everything in the patch notes along side it.

Regardless, if you want a dexxer and wanna have fun doing it, and don't mind roleplaying, check out the Bloodrock Orcs. http://www.bloodrock.org
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

Ronk wrote:I would say no. While most can agree that dexing (and especially archery) suck...the nature of this shard is to be accurate to T2A. If one exception were to be made then more would have to be made.

The only thing I could see as justified to add (and even it is a stretch) is the dex based healing because it WAS around in the T2A era...the problem is, at that point you would have to justify reasons for picking and choosing various aspects from patch notes because we certainly wouldn't want to implement everything in the patch notes along side it.

Regardless, if you want a dexxer and wanna have fun doing it, and don't mind roleplaying, check out the Bloodrock Orcs. http://www.bloodrock.org
thanks for the link i will think about it. can you point me in the direction where it was decided that swing on the run wasn't accurate?

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Matty wrote: thanks for the link i will think about it. can you point me in the direction where it was decided that swing on the run wasn't accurate?
Nope, I can't. I just remember for a long time there people were ganking us dexxers left and right in the accuracy forums finding every little thing to slow us down and gimp us, lol. There is a patch note forum that could be used.

Also, I know a lot of the timers and such were tested on an old unmodified UO demo client.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

Ronk wrote:
Matty wrote: thanks for the link i will think about it. can you point me in the direction where it was decided that swing on the run wasn't accurate?
Nope, I can't. I just remember for a long time there people were ganking us dexxers left and right in the accuracy forums finding every little thing to slow us down and gimp us, lol. There is a patch note forum that could be used.

Also, I know a lot of the timers and such were tested on an old unmodified UO demo client.
WAHHHH! dexxing! lol. aite i'll try and find this.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

this would make tank mages even more overpowered than they already are
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Rose wrote:I was exited to see swinging on the run implemented, and I think it worked well for the dexers (players who do not cycle weapons). But the problem arose that hally mages were even more supreme then they should have been, hally cycling was to easy to pull off, and you could do it while running full tilt with no delay.

I'm unclear as to why this feature was removed, I don't believe there was a very detailed explanation of why.

I put fourth the idea that the movement restriction should be "semi-lifted", meaning: you are hit with the movement restriction upon equipping a weapon, and only then.

So a dexer, who always has a weapon equipped will only have to pause before his first swing (providing he recently equiped a weapon), all other swings will fully allow swinging on the run.
And a hally cycling mage will have to pause before every hit (as we have now) because he is constantly equipping a weapon.

Implement that pls! :P

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

nightshark wrote:this would make tank mages even more overpowered than they already are
if this were implemented on test, i'd show you the opposite. dexers not having to stop to swing while chasing a mini-healing tank mage = dexer owning mage more often. in fact, i played a dexer daily before swing on the run was patched out. it felt much more real then. the swing timer thingy seems off to me, regardless of all this. sometimes i literally run into someone with full stam and don't even swing.

tanmits

Post by tanmits »

Dexxers are worthless in their current state. Implement Rose's suggestion or witness the decisive end of what little PVP variety exists.
S&S Yew: fully stocked bulk reagents, weapons, armor, explosion traps, and fishing spoils. Also, temporarily carrying POTION KEGS!

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

there has to be some sort of compromise on this topic because dexers are literally near-worthless and this was not the case back then. i think i need to read rose's suggestion one more time to be able to make full sense of it.

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

ok i get it. i love rose's suggestion. the mere fact that dexxers aren't thriving in our world means something is wrong.

Ragancy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ragancy »

I agree and think Rose's idea would fit the bill.

This shard would really benefit from having more dexers in the field.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I have no idea how viable that suggestion is, but it would definitely make dexing a lot less mundane.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Rose you should know this shard is about era accuracy and not altering game mechanics for balance. Yes a swords tank is easily the most overpowered character, but dexers are useful in groups and when kitted out correctly.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

nightshark wrote:Rose you should know this shard is about era accuracy and not altering game mechanics for balance. Yes a swords tank is easily the most overpowered character, but dexers are useful in groups and when kitted out correctly.
i still think something is wrong with the mechanics now. i could be wrong but i'm about to turn both my dexers into tanks just because of how non-threatening this template has become; something ain't right.