What would it take to cut down the world saves?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Omnicron

What would it take to cut down the world saves?

Post by Omnicron »

I'm willing to donate to this cause.

Brules

Re: What would it take to cut down the world saves?

Post by Brules »

Frequency or how long they take?

Omnicron

Post by Omnicron »

Brules wrote:Frequency or how long they take?

Frequency. I'd also contribute to something that will decrease lag.

Zelek Uther
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Zelek Uther »

How often is a world save done at the moment?

Personally, I'd like to see the duration reduced - i.e. the time it takes to perform a world save.
Zadok Uther - Co-founder of Society of Traders [S^T]

Zelek Uther - Guild Master of Terra Nova [TN]

Omnicron

Post by Omnicron »

Zelek Uther wrote:How often is a world save done at the moment?

Personally, I'd like to see the duration reduced - i.e. the time it takes to perform a world save.
right now it's like every 15 mins. I think its a bit much the shard doesn't crash nearly as much as it used to. don't have a problem with duration.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Omnicron wrote:I'm willing to donate to this cause.
Trash barrel everything you own and compel your friends to do the same.

Omnicron

Post by Omnicron »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
Omnicron wrote:I'm willing to donate to this cause.
Trash barrel everything you own and compel your friends to do the same.

I do trash everything that isn't of any value. sometimes i think people craft and collect items just so slow the server down. I have seen many of idocs full of nothing but cloths furniture and junk.

Zelek Uther
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Zelek Uther »

Omnicron wrote:right now it's like every 15 mins. I think its a bit much the shard doesn't crash nearly as much as it used to. don't have a problem with duration.
I see your point. Derrick's call, but what would you see as being a good interval?

20 mins - a little longer than now, but an extra 5 minutes of uninterrupted game time.
25 mins - pushes it out even more
30 mins - double time... but danger of losing up to 30 mins of work, should the server crash.

I suspect 15 mins was chosen as a good trade off between uninterrupted game time vs potential work lost (in case of server crash).

When a shard restores to a world save, it can be confusing to players... the longer the time since the last save, the more confusing it is (i.e. more lost work / in-game story).
Zadok Uther - Co-founder of Society of Traders [S^T]

Zelek Uther - Guild Master of Terra Nova [TN]

Omnicron

Post by Omnicron »

Zelek Uther wrote:
Omnicron wrote:right now it's like every 15 mins. I think its a bit much the shard doesn't crash nearly as much as it used to. don't have a problem with duration.
I see your point. Derrick's call, but what would you see as being a good interval?

20 mins - a little longer than now, but an extra 5 minutes of uninterrupted game time.
25 mins - pushes it out even more
30 mins - double time... but danger of losing up to 30 mins of work, should the server crash.

I suspect 15 mins was chosen as a good trade off between uninterrupted game time vs potential work lost (in case of server crash).

When a shard restores to a world save, it can be confusing to players... the longer the time since the last save, the more confusing it is (i.e. more lost work / in-game story).

Just so long as I'm not the only one irritated by it. on with the world saves!

Brules

Post by Brules »

I would be just fine with 30 minutes....wasn't that what OSI's was?

Since we have never had a mjor revert, I can't see anyone freaking out over a 30 minutes revert here. Plus since the last crash issue seems to have been fixed the server is much more stable.

As to how long the saves are, Matron is right.....it is all item count. When I started in Jan 2010, item count was 1.9m.

It is now 6.2m!!!!!!!!!!!!

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I blame Halloween candy and Pumpkin bombs. People hoard that stuff like it's going to be rare one day...
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

OSI only saved once a day and that was when the shard went down and restarted.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Downs

Post by Downs »

RoadKill wrote:I blame Halloween candy and Pumpkin bombs. People hoard that stuff like it's going to be rare one day...
lol! so true
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

I have thought about this and tried to research the Run UO code but didn't get very far before I got side tracked.

What I was curious is whether the following was/is possible:

Basically, give every house container (box, crate, bag, etc) a 'modified' flag. If anyone opens this box...or get more complex and say if anyone adds to/moves in/removes from the box the modified flag is set. Otherwise, it stays unset.

At world save, anything unmodified is not overwritten and not saved. The idea being, its already saved and there is no need to save it again. My guess is the large majority of 'stashes' are rarely touched and if something like this could be implemented (assuming its possible and not already) then it should reduce save times.

Assuming its possible and works, this could be extended to characters (i.e. dont' save people who haven't logged in). My big worry is that right off the bat looking at my runuo code, it looks like the world is saved as a binary file. Binary tends to be an all or none thing for saving.

Either way, does anyone know why OSI shards never had a 'save'? Or rather, you never noticed them. I find it hard to believe they just had uber fast computers that made it unnoticeable. This is why I was looking into a software approach to improve upon RunUO.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Kelektra
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kelektra »

Brules wrote: As to how long the saves are, Matron is right.....it is all item count. When I started in Jan 2010, item count was 1.9m.

It is now 6.2m!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually one of the last major reverts we had to do was when RunUO updated and inhouse item decay was activated for that morning which meant anything not locked down in houses decayed.
Item count before revert was around 4.5 mil
Item count after revert approx 5.5 mil

So really there are not that many items out there not locked down and being used. Its not like people have walled off 1000s of chests their house like everyone seems to claim there are. Sure some people might have excess amounts of items that they are hording for one reason or another but all and all its just the way the world works.

If you keep 10 new items everyday (which i dont think is a very high number)
500 clients a day (yea i know, i am making this shit up)
365 a year
1.8 mil new items per year.
Server been around for 3 years
5.4 Mil Items over 3 year period

Seems to me we are right on track with item count.
Shards Only T-Map Validation System viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24446