Pure Warriors Only - Events/Tournaments/Etc

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Would you enter a Pure Warrior Event/Tourney

I have a Pure Warrior, without Magery, that I would enjoy Events or Tournaments of this type with.
52%
I think Warriors, or anyone who intentionally 'gimps' their character, deserves nothing.
19%
I might actually blow the dust off of my armor/weapon collection to build a Pure Warrior for this.
14%
I ignored everything you said because I'm a troll and/or lurker.
14%

Total votes: 21

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Pure Warriors Only - Events/Tournaments/Etc

Post by Blaise »

After a lengthy 'discussion' on IRC with some fine fellows of the community, I've decided to make this annoying topic a thread.
I am a Role Player. I like to read books, and lots of them. I like to play my characters, as designed, for the Role I intend for them.
My Warrior, Sturm, is just that, a warrior. If anyone recognizes the Brightblade name, they may also recall his loathing of magic and most, if not all, magic users.

Point being, I have a couple of Magery characters, but Sturm is not one of them.

I intend for him to remain pure warrior as long as I can. As it stands, I already have 30 magery to Recall around, but I'll be dumping that as my other skills GM.

Many people are going to say how boring this is, and how it would only cater to 0.1% of the shard, but I really think it would motivate people to branch out a bit and not be just another mage in a shard overrun by them.

No, I am not saying any warrior has a solid shot against another player, without magery. What I'm saying is that those of us with warriors would like to have events to take part in as well. No Tourney is really good for a pure warrior, unless it's multiple people and they've got a mage to back them up.

This all stems from my misunderstanding of what 'Pure Dexer' means on UOSA. I thought I recalled that being a reference to non-mage warriors with high dex, but apparently I'm wrong. Not really bent about that or anything, but if that's not the term, I am assuming Pure Warrior would be more appropriate for designating those without Magery.
I entered the Pure Dexer tourney, only to realize after, that I was competing with a bunch of Hally Mages, so whatever. I took my loss, cried like a girl and moved on.

However, here I am now posting in the Suggestions forum looking for the support of my fellow Warriors.
I know we are few, and we are a dying breed in these lands of magic, but that doesn't mean there should be no Staff Run Events or Tourneys for our style of play.

I'm not asking anyone, who doesn't care, to watch the events or tournaments, so no, I don't really care how boring YOU think it would be to watch.

I like the idea of having some battles with other Pure Warriors, 1v1, or teams/multi-teams, etc.
Maybe we'd see a rise in the use of Platemail armor. Hell, i don't even know where to get a GM set of Verite plate (my fav) without special request from the smithy.

My appologies for being old and wanting good Role Playing in the online version of the best Role Playing Game series ever created, my bad.

Nothing says 'RPG' like 'If you don't use Magery you're gimping yourself'.

Well, that's about it, unless I think of more things to dump in here. I'm going out on a limb here and assuming this will turn into an 'I hate warriors' flame fest, but no worries, I wore my GM asbestos undies today. :P
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Zelek Uther
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Pure Warriors Only - Events/Tournaments/Etc

Post by Zelek Uther »

I'm a warrior: Zelek Uther

Unfortunately, I have been "tainted" by the Magick. I don't use Magery during combat though - it's all Swordsmanship, Parrying, Bandages, and Potions. I find Magery a useful utillity, for travel and casting buffs.

I'm a PvMer, and avoid PvP unless forced. Maybe one day I'll learn the fine art of PvP?

I guess I'm not your target market, but just thought I'd give you a friendly "hail"!

PS I didn't vote. Couldn't find an option that suited my char.
Zadok Uther - Co-founder of Society of Traders [S^T]

Zelek Uther - Guild Master of Terra Nova [TN]

lettuce

Post by lettuce »

how can anyone find and joy into playing this game for pvm with the limited monsters to kill also there are pure dexxer tournys i belive they are the 1v1 magic pots atleast thats when i see all slow minded players on sry i mean dexxers

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Limited monsters to kill?
Are you serious?
As opposed to the HUGE variety in PvP?
HAH!

I'm not saying I'm only about PvM, just that some Pure PvP without Magery involved would be fun.
You seem to have missed the point about the Pure Dexer tourney not barring Magery, thus, not applicable to this character's interests.

Zelek, thanks for stopping in to share your opinion anyway.
I also have a bit of Magery for travel at the moment. I don't even use it for protection/buff spells....on my Warrior character.
It's just not right. :P
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Zelek Uther
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Zelek Uther »

BlaiseDad, I respect that level of Role-Play, I'm semi RP myself, and have written a couple of stories* in character.

It's a testament to UOSA that we have every style of gameplay here, including RPers!

In the service of Lord British,
Kind regards,
Zelek Uther

* The story of how Nova Zelandia began
Nova Zelandia greets visitors from the heavens
Zadok Uther - Co-founder of Society of Traders [S^T]

Zelek Uther - Guild Master of Terra Nova [TN]

Tiwstacain

Post by Tiwstacain »

Armor??? wtf is that?? i built a dexxer and have never touched him since i made him 7x. Tank Mage is all there is here, i opted to dust off the old armor if this were perhaps created

TC

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Well, I may not get Derrick and the Staff's support or assistance in the matter, but I am working on a Player Run Warrior Dueling/Tournament Event (or Events) with another guild.
I will keep this thread updated as progress is made but it would seem, albeit a small number, people are interested and as such I will do what I can to accomodate.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

we just cut back events by like 50 percent recently now we should waste time and make a no Margery at all event? I say a remove events, b remove the event schedule, c more player run events (you want a pure warrior tourny how about make one and pick a date and have people come pure warrior / rp it up) d remove silver.
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Cookie

Post by Cookie »

A fight without Magery??? Do my ears deceive me??? That would be totally AWESOME!!!!! Finally, an opponent worth my time to try to fight. Where have you been??? All I have is my armor, sword, and a few band aids. 5x GM so far. AND NO MAGERY!!!

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

iamreallysquall wrote:we just cut back events by like 50 percent recently now we should waste time and make a no Margery at all event? I say a remove events, b remove the event schedule, c more player run events (you want a pure warrior tourny how about make one and pick a date and have people come pure warrior / rp it up) d remove silver.
Thanks for your sidelong slam at GM Run Events in general, someone might appreciate it.
If you cared to read the responses, you would see I'm already working with another guild to organize exactly what you suggest.
I believe the term is, 'too little, too late', but thanks.

Cookie, you're a sweetheart and I know you're with me, shield and sword in hand.
You'll know about, and likely be involved in, the setup and scheduling of these events.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Quin the Wretch
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Quin the Wretch »

one problem with dexx duels is they can go on forever esp if u allow pots and food. Are you going to have time limits?
"I really need to increase my knowledgment" -anonymous

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Quin the Wretch wrote:one problem with dexx duels is they can go on forever esp if u allow pots and food. Are you going to have time limits?
Of course, restrictions must apply. Which then involves proper rationing of your supplies for victory. :)
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Quin the Wretch
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

hrrmmn I bet a gm bs could make some loot at one of these...

Probably your angle eh Blaise? Get a bunch of mace wielding townies to beat their armor into oblivion and you repair for a modest fee eh?

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

You seem to have mistaken me for a douche bag.
I'm actually just interested in having a good time with fellows, and ladies, of like mind.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Quin the Wretch
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

jk bro. My humors kinda dry

thought it was a good idea. My tank is unfortunately tainted and ineligible to compete but Id go watch.