Swing timer error

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Swing timer error

Post by Mens Rea »

I currently have two archery characters, and I think these changes are both warranted and accurate.

Archery during the era WAS nerfed, it took a great deal of skill to use it properly with the alterations to the first "swing" rule.

However, it is true that the timer would reset while moving, and you could stop to shoot. I look forward to seeing this on my two characters;

Robbo the Hood (100 100 25 fencer/archer)
WreCkLoOsE (100 25 100 archery mage)

I really look forward to these changes actually :>

alatar

Post by alatar »

This whole thing is confusing me, or maybe I am too impatient to read it specifically.. What exactly is going to happen with archery..?

Are we removing the "no swing time gain while moving" for archery? Does the insta-hit still apply to archery?
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Faust

Post by Faust »

All combat timers cool down when somebody stands still for that duration, if they move it will pause and continue to cool down where it left off if you stand still again until you are able to hit with a melee/ranged weapon. Archery did not follow this same procedure according to the demo. However, all other weapons still did on there. This means that the delay on archery to be able to "shoot" after you've shot an arrow/bolt will cool down even while you're on the move. The standard one second delay to shoot once you stop will still exist. The one second damage delay after shooting an arrow will still occur. Also, when the combat timer is active and you equip a bow it will still continue to reset your combat timer. The reset on the combat timer for bows is what renders it ineffective in pvp. All that will be changing is the ability for the combat timer to cool down when you're on the move unlike before.

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Faust, you may be a T2A "Historian", but you must not have pvp'd much during T2A, because Archer mages flourished. Archery was good for not only the first shot, but it countered Insta hit. Archer mages could use a Heavy Xbow to stay away from the Tank Mages, shoot a big shot with the heavy (since it is the hardest hitting weapon in the game), and drop his/her combo. With the timer resetting on the move, the Archer mage could move around escaping the weapon hits mostly and stop to fire a big damage shot without being hit himself/herself. Each style of player, Insta Hit/Archer Mage had its ups and downs. When the change goes live, you will see =)

Faust

Post by Faust »

My credentials hold up just fine and are stated on wtfman archives in mcdonald land. I am sorry to inform you but archer mages sucked during t2a. The only time archer mages flourished was during the pre-t2a era.

Here is a clear indication of how things was during December, 1999 from a UOHOC chat.
December, 1999
Glamdring - *Asparouh-LoD* Archery is the least popular fighting skill now and continues to go down. Are you going to at least fix the extremelly long delay before a bow starts shooting when equipped?Any changes planned to make crossbows and heavy crossbows useful again?My bowyer is starving!
February, 2000
Glamdring - *Exe_* "BTW, great changes lately, the game seems livelier than ever. Archery Question: Is there a reason you decided to increase the firing rate as opposed to decreasing the equip delay? IMO it's the equip delay which makes the bow practically useless in pvp and the reason most people choose not to use it."
I could probably find several more but I'm too tired too. I believe you are mistaking your eras for archery.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

That last post may imply that firing rates were increased on bows- heavy xbows take around 15 seconds (years) to fire between shots at 25 dex. Harsh!

Faust

Post by Faust »

That specific UOHOC was talking about combat changes in the upcoming UOR patch. The firing rates is 100% accurate right now.

platy

Post by platy »

so archery has been "fixed" or "patched" i should saY?
EDIT just tested it.. nothings changed
still can't move for shots: i take one step i need to wait another 8 secs no matter what..
weaksauce

Faust

Post by Faust »

No, it has not yet been changed. It will be fixed in the near future when we get to it.

alatar

Post by alatar »

So even if you wait the combat timer out, you still can't insta-hit with a bow? Sorry for the confusion, you make it sound like no matter what if you equip the bow it will automatically reset the timer..

I was under the impression that it would only reset if you equipped your bow before the timer had reached 0.
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Here is a short version for every function involved with archery.

Equip Delay Reset: It works like this... If you equip a bow while your combat timer isn't zero it will reset your combat timer to the original delay. If your combat timer is zero and you equip a bow it shoots instantly like it should.

Movement Delay: If you are moving and you stop there is a 1 second delay applied before you can shoot a bow. This delay only applies immediately after you stop moving.

Combat Movement Restriction: This restricts your combat timer from ticking downwards when you are moving. This is incorrect for archery and will be removed in the near future. This will still apply to all other weapons.

Damage Delay: This delay is applied after you've shot a bow. Think of the damage delay for an ebolt or magic arrow. When you cast an ebolt by targetting something there is a 1 second damage delay. The same goes for archery in this case, essentially you shoot, it waits one second while the arrow is flying through the air and it does the damage when the delay ends.

I hope I covered it all in a short and understandable manner. I know all of this can get quite confusing at times.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Many results based on this discussion is up on the test uo second age server. The following address for this server is below. Please test it out and give feedback.

test.uosecondage.com:2593

Red

Post by Red »

Last night I tried archery out a bit on Test, and I noticed that the animations for firing and when the arrow actually fires is a bit off. The arrow/bolt animation seems to delay 1-2 seconds.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

aye, there is an intentiaonal delay there, additionally archery has a one second delayed damage

Red

Post by Red »

Say I arm my halberd and attack my opponent two seconds after the instahit timer on my wrestling comes. I would need to wait the remainder of my halberd timer to swing the halberd? Or, does it reset my timer once I arm my halberd?