How to avoid getting PK'd

dragkhar

How to avoid getting PK'd

Post by dragkhar »

Are you tired of getting PK'ed when you finally reached the end of the dungeon trying to earn som golds?
Or when your gatherer shop woods or mine ore?

Well, here are some good tips for you that will let you escape alive 99 times out of 100 if you play it right.

Basic need for all char regardless of type:
#1; At least 35 skill in magery, this will grant you the ability to not fizzle when casting recall from scroll.
#2; 100 STR, easiest trained with herding, to stand the first hit if the PK manage to get one in.
#3; Recommended 100 Magic resist.

Checklist before you go out:
#1; Make sure reflect spells is up, if you have high enough magery to cast it, or use a scroll.
#2; A dedicated backpack with "escape PK" stuff containg the following:
-> At least 3 magic traped pouches.
-> One marked rune to a safe location, i.e guarded zone
-> At least 1 recall scroll and/or regents for recall
-> An invisibility item, best is jewelry (if u have a hat on and try to put on a hat with invis it wont work)
#3; An empty backpack that you put directly on top of the "escape PK" pack, to prevent theft from it.
#4; Check that your "escape PK" macro* is up to date in Razor.

Here is how you do it (detailed explanation how to set up macros below);
As soon as you spot a PK near you you just hit the "escape PK" macro you have.
This macro will be set to automatically cast recall, put on invis item and target rune.
However, certain situations might need different approaches.

First and most common situation is this:
A PK comes running and cast explotion on you that he had precasted, then he hits you with his Hally.
If you're fast to activate your escape PK macro the hally won't find its target, since you're hidden by the time he reaches you, if not you should survive anyway since you have 100 HP.
Since you are hidden he will lose his target and have to reveal you, by the time he has that skill detect hidden up or reveal spell you're gone.

Second approach, less comon but have seen it:
A PK runs up and cast paralyze on you, if you have reflect up your fine and can just activate your escape macro, if not you get frozen and need to break that somehow. This is where the traped pouches comes in handy. Just open one of them so it explodes on you and dammage you and your paralyze breaks, then you activate your escap macro.
The open pouch thing can also be done by a hotkey, faster and more secure than do it manually.

Third approach, also not as comon as the first one but I've seen this as well;
A PK cast harm on you from a wand, to interupt you from finishing your recall, while another PK starts bashing you with his hally with precast explotions.
Just activate your escape macro and you'll be fine since both PKs will loose your target and needs to reveal you to continue the fight, by then you will be gone.

There are a few other ways of PKs to attack as well but they are so rare I don't think they need to be discussed here.

How does the macros look like?
First I would recommend you to make a macro for opening your traped pouches.
In Razor there's a setting for "use once" in there you can target all pouches you have, one by one, and make a list.
Then you bind this to a hotkey.
When you push the hot key it will use the first pouch in the list, if it's traped you will activate the trap and get out of the paralyze. If you need to use it again the macro will consider that pouch as used and select next in list.
Just remember to reset the pouches after you have used them.

Second macro I would make is the use invis item macro
Create a dress/undress and target your invis item and bind that macro to a hotkey.

If you use a scroll for recall you also will need to have an undress macro for things you hold in your hands, sheild and sword for instance.
That undress macro will be the first thing you do in the escape macro.

Third macro is a recall macro, with the spell from a book or one with a scroll.
pause 0.1s
Use hot key for invis item.
Target safe rune in your escape back pack.
Bind to a hot key

Now for the big Escape PK macro:
It will look something like this:
Press hot key for the recall macro
8)

The fun part is that when you hit the hot key for recall, the PKs wont even see you cast recall before you are hidden and will think you just stand hiding where they last saw you.

Last edited by dragkhar on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spitfire

Re: How to avoid getting PK'd

Post by Spitfire »

Nice guide, wrestling is another skill I like for escaping PK's because when you try to cast recall with no wrestling, they can hit you 100% and interrupt if the timing is right. There are not too many dexer PK's so you're not likely to get trapped in a corner and interrupted this way, though.

dragkhar

Post by dragkhar »

True, but if you use invis item they cant hit you anyway :)
Only a 0.1s timer before you vanish from that you start casting the recall.

Your_Ugly_Mom

Post by Your_Ugly_Mom »

"Here is how you do it (detailed explanation how to set up macros below);
As soon as you spot a PK near you you just hit the "escape PK" macro you have.
This macro will be set to automatically cast recall, put on invis item and target rune.
However, certain situations might need different approaches."

Only on a side note...with recall scroll the invis item macro didnt work that great. At least not for me...somehow the use of recall scroll dont let you use the invis item that fast as a normal spell...

YUM

dragkhar

Post by dragkhar »

Damn, I never tried that with a scroll, just assumed it worked the same.
Will need to tune this when I find the time.

Drunk Monk

Post by Drunk Monk »

dragkhar, as in a creature from Robert Jordan's series?
“What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” -Albert Pike

Huzke
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Huzke »

Spitfire wrote:wrestling
One of the most important skills in the game. I don't care who you are, wrestling is useful. If you're a PvM dexer don't be stubborn and leave wrestling out of your template. You can't bank loot when you're dead.

Solo PK's are rare these days, you're more likely to run into a TG or Population Kontrol who run 3-5 PK's deep regularly. They'll be standing on the spot you invis'd or hide spamming attack last target and you will not get away with 0 wrestling when this happens.

dragkhar

Post by dragkhar »

Ok folks, let me get this straight.
Wrestling is ONLY used when u cast magic, to avoid geting hit while casting.
If you fight with weapons your defense is NOT compared against wrestling, ONLY if u undress weapon and sheild.

IF you use an invis item as I described, cast recall and 0.1s later dress an invis item, NO ONE will have the time to reveal you before you're home and safe.

Let them spam attack last target how much as they like, you will finish the recall spell while hidden and will leave the place without breaking invis again.
They have 0.1s to break your recall spell and that is really really hard to do even with 0 wrestling.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I was hoping this macro would never become public. Oh well, not like it matters.. 95% of farmers are too lazy to carry anything except a bag of regs/bandys and a weapon.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

It's hard not to get interrupted standing in a firefield :lol: Meteor Swarm as well can be targeted at the ground. Even hidden you will be taking damage with either of those. Field spells are heavy artillary, flushing tools, or means of entrapment/escape. They are made for the soldier on the field without eval as they are made for wartime. But they can be utilized by anyone who has the skill invested.

Just hope no one has these spells precast. I always precast Meteor Swarm as it hits hard even without eval and it cannot be reflected...just saying. A couple dexxers that synch MS and come in for the kill shot will have you dead in seconds because in unison it is not uncommon to have you hovering around 20 hp from full after a dump like that...one or two strikes later and you'd think someone called guards on you. That's why sometimes it's better to run first and break their positions forcing range on them...hopefully dividing them up.

No one listens to me anyway so you are probably safe :lol:

Like I said before the rules of tourney PVP and Field PvP/ PKing are night and day...you see too many people take what they can from the box but we all know what's in it so it's no surprise.

I have word that DG has units of medi-dexxers...these tactics are not only to be used by PKs understand?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I take it you don't PvP, Archaic. Noone runs around with prepped firefields/meteor swarms. Even if they did, they'd have to manually target the ground where the player is which gives more than enough time for said player to have their recall off. I have used this recall macro for a long time and it has never failed me.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Knock on wood then Nightshark...
there is a balance here, anything you think of will bring a new evolution to counter
Targeting is a very fast process...

Good Macro but there are counters to it. Thats what we want, this server is like a hidden monastary...we come up with good tactics here...I am not knocking yours at all.

It's not foolproof but nothing is. And you are right most pks I encounter just bash through the gate loudly and hope they land a newb.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

There are really no effective counters to this. Manually targeting a specific tile with a firewall would give enough time for escape. MS/CL have a full 1 second delay, which gives you .25s to manually target the ground. Interrupting someone using this tactic is extremely difficult, and even if you manage to interrupt they can just take off running and repeat the process.

You don't even need the 0.1s delay in the macro. You can just instantly disappear and noone will even see the words of power (except in the journal).

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Awesome!
But try different ways to stop it on test.
It's your disease now it's viral, find the cure lol

I gave my methods I would try...take it to test. Make the scenerio as real as possible.
Like try walking out a gate immediately casting EQ things like that.

dragkhar

Post by dragkhar »

just a side note here in your interesting discusson.
You need to set paus to like 0.1, if it's faster that than its a big chanse you wont dress your invis item.
Depending on what you set the delay to in Razor.
0.1s is enough to make this safe and enough to not show that you cast recall, except in journal.

Peace