Client not showing anything once logged in.

atrak

Client not showing anything once logged in.

Post by atrak »

Hi I downloaded the UOSA client installed it and i can log in fine, i've tried to log into the tutorial and the normal server, and it seems to connect fine. even says i have connected in the bottom left. but nothing except the grey background with the grey dragon panel on the left and top oh and the quit button is showing.

I can hear music and the quit button works but nothing else is showing up.
All the icons from razor are showing 0 and i see three green bars next to my character's name..

alt entered to full screen same things showing. just the background.

I've tried this on my laptop - windows xp mobility radeon 9000
and now my desktop pc - windows 7 radeon hd4850..

is this an ati thing?

or am I just missing something obvious?

Derrick

Re: Client not showing anything once logged in.

Post by Derrick »

This sounds like a client version problem. Pre-4.x clients used to do this.

WHat is your Razor and Client version?
Did Razor patch?
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

atrak

Post by atrak »

Thanks for the reply
Yes I am pretty sure the first time i ran it Razor patched.

The Razor version is 1.0.12
and the client was downloaded from the uosecondage.com site a couple of days ago.
says Customized 5.0.8.3 (patch 204)

oh just in case it helps... if i run the client_noenc.exe it shows Customized 5.0.8.4 (patch 204)

I chose the client and data directory manually with razor just in case the auto one wasnt working.

I can even open the codex with F1 (found while pressing every key i could think of) but while the codex shows and i can interact with it, the background stays the same grey and when i click on it (to close the codex) it stays the same.

I even opened UOAM and it works fine, showing my location.

also tried the no razor client just in case, and the same thing happens..
lets me login but shows nothing but the background.

I did notice when the server list comes up it shows nothing in the ping/packet loss sections just a line "-"
not sure if that means much but I figured if i can connect it didn't.

atrak

Post by atrak »

Ok heres an interesting development.. and I may have solved the issue, which it seems.. isnt gfx or hardware related at all. but due to my horrible satellite internet.

I decided that only trying two computers with ATI cards in them was a little shortsighted so i booted up an old pc with an nvidia card and XP on it.. worked fine.

So i copied the contents of the ultima directory on the old pc over to my new one and the same problem, grey background nothing happening.

ok so i thought my old pc was connecting using a dialup modem and my laptop and new pc were connecting using my satellite connection.. ok probably my stupid ISP shaping unknown connections. (has happened in the past)

So i disconnect the modem on my old pc and hook up the satellite.. and bam.. grey background. nothing happening..

sounds like its my isp. so i will contact them and get them to unshape the connections to the game server.

hopefully this will solve it.

Cheers for the help.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks for the update, keep up posted.
There are a lot of packets going back and forth when you first log in; losing one of them or high latency during this time could cause this issue.

Also, check your MTU settings. This could be the culprit.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15249&p=141198&hilit=MTU#p141198

Satellite may be trying to group packets too which may be a problem; I don't know enough about their schemes to comment further, just a thought.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

Not sure were you live or what kinda phone you have ..

But I will throw this out.. a lot of the newer phones are able to act as a wifi hotspot .. and thus you could maybe play UO better like this ..

I've done it a time or two playing around on some friends phones when they came over .. and it seem to work pretty good .. but I can't say for sure how it would be as a normal play solution.

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy