Horse stamina bug

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Derrick

Re: Horse stamina bug

Post by Derrick »

MatronDeWinter wrote:My understanding of why this is the way it is, is that the pet would always have stamina in follow mode, however, I doubt they intended for this to ever be a magical infinite stamina feature. Can you explain how this is an intentional mechanic and not a bug?
The mechanism by which the pets stamina replenishes in follow mode is to fill the stamina. This is done in the same manner as on OSI; and from their own code is not by accident. To better explain my statement, I interpret bug to mean something that was not coded intentionally, which this was. Design/mechanical undersight possibly, but not a bug. Were it a bug, I think we would still be obligated to reproduce this mechanically, however I merely meant to clarify that this isn't considered a bug; although it's commonly called that both now and in era.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Yeah, Derrick, it seems like it was purposely done for the purpose of pets not going "lame" and failing to continue following their owner. But refreshing horses is another story, it is an exploit of the stamina refreshing follow.

HORSES instantly refreshing stamina to full upon entering (or being) in follow mode is an exploit of the game mechanics which were put in place for other reasons. During 1999 you didnt hear people complaining about this, because (1) it wasn't well known and (2) barely anyone had a connection that could actually fatigue a horse.

After UO:R I finally had a server close to home and could run full speed on a horse without problem - I was unknowingly using this bug (like many others) by hopping off my horse and feeding it apples.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Its ridiculous to suggest that because this was later changed it was an exploit and not intended.

Trammel was added later, but Felucca wasn't some game breaking bug. UO has been constantly changing for around 13 years. At some point they thought refreshing stamina to full when following was the best option and we happen to be emulating that point in time.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

But this bug is game breaking.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Game still works great.

Our pop has gone up since that patch.

ranger

Post by ranger »

Game works great, yes, it would either way.
You also say also your pop has gone up but even a newer person here like me thinks this is wrong.
So what's the point in mentioning either of these is beyond me.
Any exploits I don't know about from the time period that gives me infinite of anything else?

OhSnap
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by OhSnap »

ranger wrote:Game works great, yes, it would either way.
You also say also your pop has gone up but even a newer person here like me thinks this is wrong.
So what's the point in mentioning either of these is beyond me.
Any exploits I don't know about from the time period that gives me infinite of anything else?
you are honestly the first new person I have heard complain of this in favor of keeping mount stamina low and getting rid of the era-accurate bug/mechanic or w/e you wish to call it. many new players, and some veterans for that matter, want to get rid of this and just have insanely high/infinite mount stamina instead. if you hate the refresh mechanic so much, go get a frenzied ostard and you'll probably never have to hop off it to refresh unless you are determined to do so.
also, I'd have to say that the mount refresh while in follow mode is hardly game breaking. I consider game breaking more along the lines of duping, entering secure homes via bugs/exploits, and other things of that nature. having to hop off a horse to continue running is hardly in that conversation

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Polymorph/incognito to change skin color, no effect on the game really. Handing books to npcs to coax them into saying funny "Thou hast given me a..." sayings? Totally harmless. One area where LOS is blocked causing a safe place to run from a lich lord? Okay, thats reasonable for accuracy sake. Creating 60,000 saphire necklaces? Fun and useless.

Magical bug allowing someone to undermine the whole idea of mount stamina to run for an infinite distance? You can't tell me that does not have any game-breaking qualities...

In some ways, this is a severe disadvantage to any solo player hoping to catch someone. It makes everything except for getting caught in a 321-drop escapable.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Not really, attack horse macros are pretty effective in catching people when they refresh.

Is it game-changing? Sure, it has a big impact on how people travel. Simply being different doesn't mean something is broken. Clearly it is not broken since we all play here pretty often.

Given that the game works and there is no looming horse stamina related apocalypse, then as long as its accurate it stays. End of story.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Panthor the Hated wrote:Given that the game works and there is no looming horse stamina related apocalypse, then as long as its accurate it stays. End of story.
Panter has spoken.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Andersonius

Post by Andersonius »

Obviously you cannot run infinitely on a horse as you have to get off and say all follow me. As was said, an attack pet macro is very useful in this. Anyway, when running from foes, and having to get off your horse to refresh, this gives plenty of time for the pursuers to catch you. I get people all the time when they go to refresh their mount, and it has happened to me as well. To take this away and put back infinite stamina is silly, and to change the mechanic to something it never was isnt going to happen and is just as silly.

Unfortunately for those who disagree with it, it is era accurate and thus will stay.

I personally think that it is better than having infinite running as in there is a chance of catching someone because they will need to refresh where as how it was this was not a possibility.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Attack mount macro....
now that's just silly
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Nobody needs to say "all follow me" to refresh the stamina. They only have to hop off and on given that the animal is already in follow mode. This can be done extremely fast, and give the tick system on uosa, if they hop off, and on efficiently though, you only have a .25 second window to attack the horse....

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

On a side note, I think mount stamina is also dependent on weight of your person, so I believe you should be able to increase it by increasing the horse's strength by wrestling. Not saying that's how it works.

But horse's could be like newbies with quite a bit of stamina...just overloaded and could take as many steps as he has stamina until it can carry more :lol:
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.