Discussion Question: Barding Skills on Tamed Pets

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Discussion Question: Barding Skills on Tamed Pets

Post by Mens Rea »

Is it accurate that bards can use their barding skills on tamed pets?

I am not fully versed on exactly how barding skills work - I've never had one.

I think the "enticement" (the one that make animals/monsters follow you) is currently able to be used on tamed pets.

Accurate?

I am aware that you can provoke an untamed monster onto a pet, and that you can probably use peacemaking (I remember it being an area effect skill) on tamed pets.

Sandro

Re: Discussion Question: Barding Skills on Tamed Pets

Post by Sandro »

You can use any barding skill on tamed animals, and yes you can provoke 2 tamed dragons onto eachother but it will flag you as a criminal if the pets are blue.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Accurate?

I just wonder if there was a message about not being able to provoke tamed pets... I can't remember what it was or whether it actually existed so my searches have been fruitless.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Yes, the message is "this action will flag you criminal, confirm/deny"

in other words, the standard criminal gump warning
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I thought you always got the message about the creature being too loyal to their master to be provoked?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

That's what it was!! Time to do some more searching and see what I can find.

Barding tamed animals is NEA IIRC and AFAIK.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I do not believe it was possible to provoke pets on OSI. Same thing with being unable to provoke shopkeepers and hirelings.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

ranger

Post by ranger »

I remember this much... At one time you could use music to lure people's tamed pets into moongates. I had a friend who loved doing that to people's Dragons in town. Due to grieving with it, it was disabled is what he said. I don't know when though (might ask him later at the next lan party). Shortly after that he got bored of the game because that was one of his favorite things to do in UO. He gave or sold his game to my dad, who then started playing it. When I saw people doing this in town on here I thought it was odd, but dismissed it. I was so young then, so I can't remember where exactly I was in the UO timeline, I know "we" just had the game and the expansion pack.

I realize this isn't the "provoke" skill? But the topic is about bard skills on tamed pets so it fits I'm guessing.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks for this recollection.
It's my understanding as well that enticement was usable on tamed pets. This was a mechanic that was added to the shard in a patch. I don't have the source in front of me that this was based on, but it shouldn't be hard to find.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

I thought that was the entire point of enticement, otherwise it would be a crook-less herding skill clone right?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

A brief check of the incite script from the demo reveals the following:

Code: Select all

if(Q4CJ(usedon))
    {
      bark(this, "They are too loyal to their master to be provoked.");
      return(0x00);
    }
This is the function Q4CJ:

Code: Select all

integer Q4CJ(object Q5H7)
{
  if(!hasObjVar(Q5H7, "myBoss"))
  {
    return(0x00);
  }
  if(!hasObjVar(Q5H7, "myLoyalty"))
  {
    return(0x00);
  }
  integer Q525 = getObjVar(Q5H7, "myLoyalty");
  if(Q525 < 0x01)
  {
    return(0x00);
  }
  return(0x01);
}
Basically, this is a boolean value that returns true if the target is a pet of a player, otherwise it returns false. This means that tamed/hired pets cannot be provoked.

Edit: The entice script has no such checks against tamed creatures, which means it is entirely possible, at least at the time of the demo, to entice tamed animals and creatures
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

It looks like a loyalty of zero will allow the pet to be provoked; irrelevant though as a pet would be released at this point. Thanks for looking this up!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."