Currently my assassin has the following build:

GM Mage
GM Tact
GM Arch
GM Fence
96 Poison
93 Resist
91 Med

I'm going to change it, because it tries to do too much. I thought poison, magery, and archery while running away. But this might be spreading points a little thin.

What do you guys think about the following?

Template 1:

Mage
Eval
Med
Fence
Tactics
Poison
Resist

Template 2, which right now seems more fun, especially to drop GM archery for:

Mage
Fence
Tactics
Poison
Resist
Hide
Stealth

Stats would be harder to work on this one. Not sure how much mana would be enough, especially without med.

Any ideas?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Assasin template question

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Weapon (Swords or Fencing)
Tactics
Healing
Anatomy
Mage
Resist
Poison

Or

Fencing (the point is to apply the poison quickly not depend on the weapons damage)
Poison
Eval
Med
mage
Resist
Wrestling

(Better if you aren't solo, but DP makes for a fantastic interrupt regardless.You will find alot of ill prepared mages depend on magery for everything...including their cures) You can shave off points for at least 50 tactics if you wish, but I think it's better for keeping your opponents at distance and going pure mage. 30-35 dex might be better on this one...as well as a healthy supply of greater agility potions.

People argue all the time about poisoning being better on a mule character...ask them how many DPed Power/Vanq weapons they carry on them at a time. Especially on a dexxer where you can stick to one weapon and dont have to unequip all the time to cast, poisoning can be very deadly.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Really depends how you want to do your 'assassinations.'

My assassin build is here http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/102737
It's fairly successful for how I play it, I used to do stealth archery with 2-3 other people. One of those people would generally be on a horse hidden for finishing with a melee weapon which is why I have fencing. No resist because I don't really intend on having people live long enough to fight back.

The template is:

Stealth
Hiding
Archery
Fencing
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

There are a few problems with assassins in UO. One is that there are no bonuses to hit or damage while hidden. So your kryss will still do 20 to 30 damage, only on the 50% of the time you hit. And then your mounted target will just gallop away anyways. I'd suggest archery or swords (halberd) so on the 50% you hit, at least it willbe a solid hit. Your best bet is to be an opportunist against someone fighting a magic monster. When they take a flamestrike from a monster, shoot a heavy xbow bolt and then try to do your own flamestrike from a a scroll.

Imagery
Eval
Anatomy
Archery
Tactics
Hiding
Stealth

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

I agree with Mikel on this one. If you want to kill outright, a hally mage is still the fastest way to get a kill in from 100 HP's. If you want to get in the killing shot, be an opportunist, and Mikel's temp looks solid for that.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Zelek Uther
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Zelek Uther »

Shouldn't an Assassin have Poisoning?
Zadok Uther - Co-founder of Society of Traders [S^T]

Zelek Uther - Guild Master of Terra Nova [TN]

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

If you want to RP it, definitely. If you want to be an opportunist and actually get in the kill shot, you should only have to use your wep once or twice. If the fight is going to prolong itself, then you might be better of using a hally mage.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Mikel123 wrote:Imagery
heh

Imagination-gery

Gr3nd3l

Post by Gr3nd3l »

T2A: Poisoning Skill allows for a title and the ability to poison weapons in field combat. UO:R changed the poisoning skill to affect its chance to apply poison to a combatant... big difference.

Assassin templates in T2A then are the worst wake up calls a lazy farmer can experience.

Slight modification to Mikel's build :

Imagery
Eval
Anatomy
Archery
Tactics
Hiding: 80
Stealth
Tracking : 20

Thinking is, if you absolutely must stealth, invis, leaves 20 tracking for the gank
I often quote myself; it adds credibility to my argument.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Gr3nd3l wrote:T2A: Poisoning Skill allows for a title and the ability to poison weapons in field combat. UO:R changed the poisoning skill to affect its chance to apply poison to a combatant... big difference.
%Chance of poisoning opponent with a bladed weapon = PoisonSkill (of crafter, not wielder) / 4 The game then computes the total number of "uses" before the posion wears off. "Uses" is defined as each hit, whether it poisons or not. The exact formula is:

20 - (PoisonStrength * 2) = #uses Number of Uses for Poisoned Blades

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?title=Poisoning

To the OP:

Poisoning on a stealther would only save trips to your residence for reapplications, I wouldn't think you'd want to have a build like that (meaning stealth with poisoning) in prolonged combat. It's better on a straight up anytime PVP/PVE character...or on a housesitter, rather then an oppurtunist.

You can use Poison and shave off points and even make a medi-dexxer assassin...I mean if lower resist doesn't scare you :twisted: The constant DP I think makes up for anatomy losses, heavy med means a meteorswarm from a scroll while they fumble for heals and cures is almost always an option. No one likes to stay near an assassin, leaving you plenty of room to heal or set up a combo. That is if you keep forcing them into a defensive position.

Swords (we are looking at normal damage to coincide, not just poison application)
Poisoning
Tactics
Healing
Anatomy 60
Med 80
Magery 80
Resist 80

Let the showhorses in touneys stick to the 7X templates...it's good to be utilitarian on the field.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Huzke
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Huzke »

Magery, Med, Eval, Wrestling, Resists, Stealth, Hiding - Explo/Flamestrike scroll/purple potion combat and finish with some low circle spells as needed. This template will give you a little staying power should the target not die right away.

Or

Magery, Eval, Hiding, Stealth, Archery, Tactics, Anatomy - Explo/Flamestrike scroll/Purple potion/Heavy xbow, finish off with a combination of low circle spells and xbow shots as needed. I prefer archery because the heavy xbow has the most frontload damage but worst (I believe) damage over time, plus if your target just takes off right away then you have a chance to get lucky with a follow-up shot. But you could always substitute with a DP'd Halberd if you prefer that to archery.

The issue with both of these (and any stealther) templates is that you're conceding 200 skill points to your target if you fail to kill your target with the initial frontload damage onslaught. So if you really want this to work you should be working with another stealther as well and sync on one target at a time and watching each other's back once your intial dumps are complete.

Gr3nd3l

Post by Gr3nd3l »

Concerning Huzke's second and Mikel's suggestion (Archaic, I'll admit sometimes I have no idea what you are talking about and I am just too new to say it out of disrespect):

If you have 100 Hiding, 100 Stealth, and 100 magery, it seems like at least 20 points are lost since you can invis then stealth. This really is not the build to be needing that extra 20 points on hiding to be able to hide 8 tiles in front of agressors.

I put forth a suggestion on 20 Tracking and 80 hiding.

I was PM'd that 20 tracking would be able to zero in on people that hid within one screen away from you, but more tracking is preferable. To that I say of course it is. So 20 tracking is like a sub par detect hidden on the fearful, that is a good use of 20 points that would otherwise be wasted in this build.

Is there a better use of 20 points?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

20 tracking to me is a waste, unless you are with another stealther.

I would tell you you could do tricks like tele-hide easier with GM and lose them amidst a horde of aggro but you probably wouldn't know what I was talking about either so like look for that stealth tracker stalking you every ten feet that had you pinged since yesterday :lol:

In other words you'd waste a ton of time with it imo

Gr3nd3l

Post by Gr3nd3l »

All right, admittedly you made some sense there.

I guess then what is the minumum skill tracking makes sense in an agressive stealth gank build. I am not looking for 10 screens an 4 dungeons away without server lines.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

To be honest alot of people have alt trackers made to die if need be...they serve a purpose both alive and dead.

More then tracking you need a runebook for the hotspots. Or an alt tracker like everyone else that would gate you in from out of the LOS of your victims.

Using polymoprh you can cover areas fast once you get a lock on and go undetected fairly well by most players.

I would skip tracking on this one.