Poisoning

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Poisoning

Post by Silverfoot »

It always bothered me that you could poison things like halberds and spears here, because I do not remember this from the era. I finally looked this up on the old stratics poisoning essay and it mentions that you can only poison single handed bladed weapons. That goes along with my memory of seeing lots of poisoned katanas and kyrsses around.

Unfortunately, that guide has a last modified date in June 2000, which would have been just after the UO:R era had started, but I remember it being the same way during t2a. I'd like to point out also that the cure potions here are based off of that chart at the bottom of the guide, so we are using it for other era accurate information. :)

My question to those who played in 98/99, do you remember being able to poison halberds, spears and other two-handed weapons?

Edit: I have looked through the patch notes and I have not found anything to suggest that what weapons could be poisoned had been changed, so the guide should be accurate.

Faust

Re: Poisoning

Post by Faust »

Two handed poisoning was removed with the UOR publish.
Poisoning

You will not be able to heal a poisoned character through any method (healing skill, spells, potions, etc.) until they are first cured of the poison.
All poisons will now have a minimum damage. Poison does damage based on a percentage of the target's current hit points, at low levels, poison was less effective. If the formula that determines poison damage is less than the minimum associated with the poison, then the target will take the minimum value for damage.
Poisoned weapons will corrode unless wiped clean with oil cloth (which will be made by tailors). The more often a poisoned weapon is used before being wiped clean, the more durability it loses. You can only wipe off a blade once it has begun to corrode.
Only one-handed bladed weapons can be poisoned.
Having the poisoning skill will reduce the rate at which a poisoned weapon corrodes. For instance, a deadly poisoned weapon wielded by a character with over 50 poisoning would corrode as if it were greater poison. At over 99 skill, the deadly poison will corrode as if it were only regular poison. This will significantly reduce the rate at which poison corrodes a weapon when wielded by assassins (characters with the poison skill).
Reference: http://update.uo.com/design_196.html

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

Ah, okay, I guess I was wrong then. I didn't catch that in the patch notes on the wiki.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The patch notes go up to the very last patch before the UOR publish. I think it would be a good idea to add the UOR publish in there also since there was a lot of major changes during that publish that could answer a lot of questions on here for people.

Deja vu

Post by Deja vu »

The only thing that I think it not era accurate about poisoning was that when poisoning food you could get a "strong" dose of poison and that would make the poison a level higher. This came out during the same time they created level 5 poisons.

Yes you could get a level 5 poison from eating a piece of deadly poisoned food. I know this cause I was a poisoner in the T2A era. Of course on this shard you don't get murder counts for eating poisoned food but in T2A you would get a murder count if some one ate a piece of food you poisoned and then died.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i dont ever remember two handed poison weps during t2a
but that is why i am not in charge :D
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Faust

Post by Faust »

You are correct about strong doses coming out around the time they implemented poison levels. However, strong doses for poisoning were more on the lines of the pre-t2a era. It was removed during January 1999 with the difficulty based poison skill.
January, 1999
Poisoning is difficulty based. This means, as you get more skilled, you will need to use more powerful potions to increase your skill.
There is no strong dose message. You either fail or succeed. The dose is based on the strength of the potion used. I.E. if you succeed in putting a deadly poison on a blade, the blade will have a deadly poison dosage.
If you fail, there's a chance that you will poison yourself. The poison will be slightly less strong than the dosage you were attempting to use.

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

People poisoned spears, hallys, etc during T2A ... but during that era players fought with what they could get their hands on. On this shard, players use the best of everything to help them win. Potions, wands, dp, reflect items, tele charges, scrolls ... back then, people didn't care ...

.. a para pouch, any hally laying around, some regs and a horse ... and they were good to go. Only a select few worried about consumables and poisoning their weapons.

Faust

Post by Faust »

It also doesn't help that you can have a massive amount of poison charges from poisoning a weapon. It should only be 3 like it was back then. I am working to correct this with some other stuff as well.

Red

Post by Red »

Didn't the application of a strong dose apply for weapons as well?

Also, I'm wondering when deadly poison came out?

platy

Post by platy »

i think DP and LP have been in there forever...
Also where did you find proof that 3 poison charges were all you'd get? I personally remember ALOT more than 3 (although maybe less than we have here tho)..
3 charges = waste of skill and poison and potion and regs etc..
o.O

Faust

Post by Faust »

platy you are correct about that. I've mistaken my eras on this. Just noticed that the three charges was fixed way early on before '99. The exact formula for the charges after the different levles is 20 - (PoisonStrength * 2) = #uses.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

This is our current formula.

Red

Post by Red »

platy wrote:I think DP and LP have been in there forever...
Nah, there was a time when DP and LP did not exist. There was a patch note I remember reading that stated something about the difficulty rating of GP and DP being adjusted, right when DP came into play. Before DP was introduced, GP was at the top of the alchemy and poisoning difficulty rates, probably before alchemy and poisoning were considered difficulty based, but I'm not sure..

Faust

Post by Faust »

4/13/98
There are now five levels of poison. The difference between them is the rate at which your health goes down. These levels of poison will have different levels of difficulty when you try to cure them. You will be able to make differing levels of poison with alchemy.