unattended macroing for stats

Topics related to Second Age
Grim Tim

unattended macroing for stats

Post by Grim Tim »

is it just me or does it take a very, very long time to macro stats on this server. i remember being able to get to 100 dex by macroing musicianship within one night. i've gm'd musicianship and my dex is still below 50. i've been macroing provo for well over 8 hours and provo and dex are still less than 50. i'm all for a time consuming and challenging character build but this is a little silly.

can i get some tips for how to macro the individual stats up?
Last edited by Grim Tim on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: unattended macroing for stats

Post by BobDobbs »

Snooping will shoot your dex up pretty fast.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

Herding will get you to 100 str in a few hours, snooping 100 dex in a few hours.

For int I usually put a little spirit speak on a new character before I macro magery and meditation and that usually takes care of int.
Catskills 97-99

Grim Tim

Post by Grim Tim »

thanks. awesome. any tips on how to macro snooping and herding safely? never done either.

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

For macroing herding I just fine a random animal stuck somewhere, like a stray cat pinned between fur nature in a shop and just herd it for a few hours. There's animals everywhere in towns with random corners for macroing, just dont have valueables on you.

For snooping I would just use a character on another one of my accounts.
Catskills 97-99

Grim Tim

Post by Grim Tim »

shoulda figured that out myself. thanks!

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

I'm silly, I guess, but a few hours of camping has worked for all of my characters ...

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Using spirit speak is a waste of time. It's 10 seconds between uses!
The best skills to gain the stats are the ones that only have the 1 second action delay.

Herding/Camping Str/Int (I hear cooking too, but its slow to me, mining works good)
Snooping Dex

Stat gain is proportional to the amount of skill you are gaining. As an example, let's say that you gain 1 str for every 5.0 herding (I made this ratio up). At 0-5 skill you would gain 1 str in about 1 minute. As the skill increases the difficulty of gaining increases, and thus, the quantity of stat gains over time decreases. Therefor, it's best to use skills in the lower registers in order to gain stats because you gain the skill the fastest. From about 0-10 in any skill, you will gain .4/.3 at a time regardless of the level of difficulty. This is because if you were at 0 % peacemaking for instance, you would have a 0% change to use the skill, and thus a 0% chance to gain it.

The fastest way to gain stats, is to reach the skill cap (700 real) and then see-saw the stat-beneficial skills with the lowest action delay no more than 10 in each direction.

Suppose you are a 7x tank and somehow have 80 int. You can set a skill that is at 0 up, lock the rest and use it over and over to gain stats without gaining the skill. However, this is EXTREMELY slow, and it's often easier to drop something easy like wrestling 10 points and see-sawing camping for the int gains and then re-gming wrestle. If you have the time to afk macro a skill, marking one at 0 up will work. It just takes time.

Another approach (as mentioned above), is to just use a skill. Often times you will see people working herding to GM just to get str/int to around 80 or so. This is a huge waste of time for the reasons outlined in the first paragraph. However, it can be good if you have plenty of afk macro time, and have not yet hit the 700 skill cap.

When I work a character, I start with 40 int if it will have magery. I do this because the range of mana required for meditation gains is more constant. I usually GM meditation with about 80 magery, and gm magery shortly after in about a day of macroing.

After that, I work the stats if I have skills that require being hit (weapon skills) etc. I will even raise dex to 100 just to gm a weapon skill faster even if I am making a low dex char because its so easy to get perfect stats from newbie character in about 30 minutes using the see-saw method. You just have to hit the statcap, or buy the skills up to 700, which only costs a few k.

Grim Tim

Post by Grim Tim »

back when i used to play there was no skill up/down/lock option. i'd thought of that see-sawing idea but i haven't reached the 7x yet and i hadn't thought of buying skills up to the 700 real cap. i would buy my skills up to 7x but being a complete newb and having 0 gold i suppose my only option is to do it the slow and tedious way. i'll def take your advice in the future though. thanks!

Tweakin

Post by Tweakin »

hiding did it for me...i started with 50 and had 90 something before i hit 85 hiding

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Musicianship will raise dex. But really starting off, take an axe chop a whole lot of logs, bank them, turn them into kindling and when you acquired alot just GM camping LOL JK

Camping actually raises ALL stats very quickly though if you are out for a fast boost to them all and finish up with skills associated primarily to the stats you wish to raise.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Robillard

Post by Robillard »

Eastwood wrote:Herding will get you to 100 str in a few hours, snooping 100 dex in a few hours.
I can disprove that. I have GMed herding on two characters (from 1 point for the newbie crook) and neither have gotten over 85 Strength from herding.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Robillard wrote:
Eastwood wrote:Herding will get you to 100 str in a few hours, snooping 100 dex in a few hours.
I can disprove that. I have GMed herding on two characters (from 1 point for the newbie crook) and neither have gotten over 85 Strength from herding.
Thats not disproof! Thats proof that you did it wrong nerd.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I never started with 10 strength, but I always got to 100 strength before Gming Herding.
I am guessing you started with 10
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Tweakin

Post by Tweakin »

i started with 10 strength and i didnt get past 65 before i gm'd herding