Random mining accuracy...

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
poogoblin

Random mining accuracy...

Post by poogoblin »

There is a good chance that I'm just having a long string of bad luck but it seems currently that smelting a higher level of ore doesn't give a greater chance of a gains increase than say smelting iron. I've been doing single stacks of gold/agapite for awhile now and have yet to get a smelting gain off either since the mid 80s.

Not a huge deal as most will have GM mining without a ton of grind if they so choose, I'm just saying...

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Random mining accuracy...

Post by Panthor the Hated »

He's just saying...

Is it supposed to give better gains?

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Yeah come on guys - afterall - he's just saying.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Panthor the Hated wrote:He's just saying...

Is it supposed to give better gains?
Yeah in era, even GMing mining was a task. People would split stacks of higher difficulty ore (usually bronze or higher) into single stacks and then smelt them singly due to having more chances to get better gains.

And, "I'm just saying" because I'm sure as heck not going to bother sifting through old newsgroups and stratics for something fairly benign...I thought more miners on here might remember the same thing.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

It should be more difficult, and therefore give better gains withing certain skill ranges. I'd be curious to hear if people found it easier to GM using Valorite smelting, as was certainly the method I remember back then.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Marlette
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Marlette »

When I first began playing in 98/99 mining was all I did. Not surprisingly, it was also my first gm in game.

I remember everyone claiming they got the best gains from splitting verite stacks and this is what I also ended up doing on my secondary miner in late 99. The gains from doing that were much better than smelting copper or gold and quite a bit better than smelting agapite, but I don't believe the gains from strictly smelting split stacks was significantly better than straight mountain mining. It was definitely faster gains but not outrageously so.

The first time I gm'd mining on OSI I did not split stacks or save any ore, but just straight mining and smelting as I got it. I did the same thing here, one thing I know for certain is that mining gains here are much faster than they were in 99. I Gm'd within about 10 days on this shard and I was doing other things as well. It took me at least three times as long back in 99, I played at least as much and all I did was mine, mine , mine, mine, mine, then mine and mine.

*rubs face* I just realized it was my first gm on this shard too. I have issues. =/

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

If you want to GM mining...just dig :|
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

If you wanna gm mining, just do whatever you want. :|

kwhiz73
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kwhiz73 »

Gming mining was not even really much of a grind. Only time I smelted is when I had a full pack---didn't seem to get many gains from doing it either.

I never even hit a valorite or verite vein and still gmed mining rather quickly. Like a previous poster said "just dig."