Newbie question about Paladins

Moderator: Support Moderators

rudraksha

Newbie question about Paladins

Post by rudraksha »

Hello all! I've never played UO until this morning when I found this shard. I'd like to be a Paladin, but when I try to select that class during character creation, I get a message saying that I can't use this feature with an account that does not have Age of Shadows access. I looked up that this is an expansion, so do I need to install this expansion to be able to play it? I found a download for the Stygian Abyss and just installed this, but I get the same message. I'm guessing that the Age of Shadows expansion is not included in the Stygian Abyss client? Or maybe I'm missing something else thats obvious, I dunno! Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Newbie question about Paladins

Post by Jill Stihl »

The character creation screen contains a few classes that wont work here on UOSA. AFAIK the only ones that will work are Warrior and Advanced.

I would suggest choosing advanced as that allows you to pick any skills you want, although warrior might be good to have a run around with if you have never played UO before at all.

Welcome to UO :)

morganm

Post by morganm »

If you want to be a paladin on UOSA then you have to roleplay one. It's not about what template you select; it's about the character you develop. You can't just "click here to be a paladin".

For example... act in a lawful/good manor and adhere to a code of ethics. Use only defensive, healing, curing, protective spells. Develop grandmaster fighting skills. Maybe the cliche full plate + shield =)

This could be a lot of fun and quite a challenge... I hope you take it on and enjoy the ride!

Mad Max
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mad Max »

There are no real classes you choose all your skills and create your own.
Last edited by Mad Max on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

rudraksha

Post by rudraksha »

Right on guys, thanks for all of the responses! I'm thinking that I'll go with a warrior for now and see how that goes. From what I've been reading, the system sounds somewhat like the Elder Scrolls series, in that you can pick what skills to level up and go from there. With the added roleplaying element, perhaps my paladin-ish character will work out eventually. Thanks again, see you guys online :)

morganm

Post by morganm »

Great, glad to hear it!

Perhaps your characters journey begins as a warrior... and he progresses to a paladin... or he may descend into a darker path... we shall see! :twisted:

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

What's a paladin? Like a swordsman with magery that does good deeds?

You could be that.

Swords
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Magery
Resist
Meditation or Wrestle

Personally, I liked the chivalry skill on OSI. Because you could do that thing that damage everyone around you. On siege during the brief time I played with these skills I had a character with swords/tact/mage/lumber/resist/chivalry/eval/med (I forget the exact #s) and I would just explode-hit them with the axe double hit and divine fury at the same time. It was instant death.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

yes its kind of like the elder scrolls system. using certain objects/weapons/skills will increase your level in the associated skill.

this server emulates a particular expansion pack that came long before paladins and their associated skill (chivalry) were introduced into the game. you may see the option to create that character but it doesn't actually exist here.

you can still roleplay a good natured paladin type. warrior skills (swords, tactics, anatomy, healing, magic resist) with magery and meditation perhaps for casting spells? upto you.

ah matron beat me to it :)

Mad Max
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mad Max »

Yeah I agree with marm the skills system is the same as in elder scrolls. Except you can only have a base max str(hp)/dex(stamina)/int(mana) of 100(225 stat cap) and you don't level up or anything like that. And you also have a 700 skill cap so your chars template have to be premeditated for the most part.

Return to “New Player Help”