Suggested list of tournament fixes

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
alatar

Suggested list of tournament fixes

Post by alatar »

Make food consumable. Macing has always been in the advantage of draining stamina.. On the field you can't eat unlimited food, so why should you be able to do so here? Shit, you can even cast paralyze in the 1v1 tourney as it is..

Heres my list of tournament fixes.

1: Remove double-hit, completely.
2: Make food consumable.
3: Reduce the amount of statics for those on slower connections.
4: Re-config the automated tourney system so that you don't have to have both arenas "ready" to start a new round.
5: Increase the amount of participants needed to yield a valorite trophy.
6: Remove Paralyze - Unsure why this is allowed, might as well allow Teleport, Snooping, & Stealing for thief-mage templates.
7: Disable completely the ability to see & hear other players while in a duel.
8: Increase the start-delay time for all events from 5 minutes, to maybe 8-10. I often see players show up just a second too late to join.
9: Remove disconnecting or re-logging from resulting in a disqualification.
10: Add an automated sudden-death method.. Maybe one in which after a given amount of time announces, and then removes healing. Possibly could add a random 2-4 high level ground traps.
11: Possibly allow more rules for CTF & DD events.
Allow such spells as:
  • Teleport
  • Paralyze
  • Wall of Stone
  • Field spells
12: Allow skills like:
  • Poisoning
  • Hiding
  • Stealth
Last edited by alatar on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Derrick

Re: Suggested list of tournament fixes

Post by Derrick »

These suggestions certainly deserve a thread of their own. Discuss em here, I'm on board with most already.

niqeo

Post by niqeo »

One thing I hate during CTF or DD is while casting on people and arm/disarming weapons, I get bugged to where I cannot run in a certain direction. Since teleport is not an option, the only way i have found to be able to fix this is relogging. Any ideas?
Mr.Brown wrote:peace out bro hopefully you can play again..you taught me t2a pvp!
Nevermore wrote:Besides just by playing the shard, vets will have plenty of things that most people who haven't been around as long don't.

venox

Post by venox »

i dont have any quams.
id just suggest your not allowed to bring pre-poisoned weapons but you can poison them once the event has begun.

BloodyBandage

Post by BloodyBandage »

alatar wrote:On the field you can't eat unlimited food, so why should you be able to do so here?
Sounds like the point I made about unlimited pots in events in which you flamed me with a one liner for trying to change events (oh the irony) http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2051. So unlimited food is not okay but unlimited cures, 30hp gheals, agility, and strength are legit? I think unlimited food gimps macers as much as unlimited cure pots gimps mages. I know this is for the 1 on 1 but the principle is the same. No one wants to fish endlessly or buy bread for every tournament. It will just turn into another step to get ready for the tournament, just like buying a horse for pvp is another step. The arena is like fighting in a closet. It doesn't mimic real situations so it makes evading hits slim to none. I would suggest making field spells allowed even in one on ones. What can they cast that would imbalance it? I think people are biased for the 1 on 1's even though I personally have more fun at the team events. If we are so worried about balance for the 1 on 1's, why not the same for the CTF's? We either make everything consumable, or nothing consumable. To be able to use your regs without losing them is a disadvantage to dexers so we should technically consume them as well by your theory. Pretty soon it all becomes consumable and events become a big pain in the ass rather than some quick fun. Buying 50 fish steaks for every event doesn't sound like fun.

Other than that, I like all your suggestions minus 7 and 10. People like playing to the crowd and it makes it feel more like an arena. Please don't instance this. Also sudden death is a bad idea; eventually someone will die, just wait. UO is about epic fights so I don't see the need to arbitrarily shorten them.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

your problem with not being able to run certin directions is common, you need to make a 'resynch client' hot key and put it somwhere you use often, maybe use it as your all names button or oyur space key
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

platy

Post by platy »

I agree with all except removing double hit.. it's way too easy to avoid and if u allow it to happen to you its your fault

Ive been trying to get area spells in CTF's since i've been here, finally someone agrees with me.. maybe NOW they'll put em in =\ (took long enought for someone else to speak up)

The best change = removing conversation viewing while in a tourney.. I hate the idiots who spam shit while people are fighting.. they should be removed imho but if you can just not allow the fighters to see the spamming it should be fine.

Dashiva

Post by Dashiva »

How can you spectate these games, anyway?
Korlan (Dexxer) | Dashiva (Tamer)
Dashiva from Napa Valley

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Dashiva wrote:How can you spectate these games, anyway?
The only spectable games are the Tourneys, Last Man Standing, Survival (PvM) and Bag Balll (non-combat). Just enter the gate when the event gates open to see what it's all about. You won't be automatically entered. And no harm in joining either, you don't use up any of your supplies, you can't be looted, your weapons and armor take no damage in all events but Survival.

Kyndrith

Post by Kyndrith »

alatar wrote:Make food consumable. Macing has always been in the advantage of draining stamina.. On the field you can't eat unlimited food, so why should you be able to do so here? Shit, you can even cast paralyze in the 1v1 tourney as it is..

Heres my list of tournament fixes.

1: Remove double-hit, completely.
2: Make food consumable.
3: Reduce the amount of statics for those on slower connections.
4: Re-config the automated tourney system so that you don't have to have both arenas "ready" to start a new round.
5: Increase the amount of participants needed to yield a valorite trophy.
6: Remove Paralyze - Unsure why this is allowed, might as well allow Teleport, Snooping, & Stealing for thief-mage templates.
7: Disable completely the ability to see & hear other players while in a duel.
8: Increase the start-delay time for all events from 5 minutes, to maybe 8-10. I often see players show up just a second too late to join.
9: Remove disconnecting or re-logging from resulting in a disqualification.
10: Add an automated sudden-death method.. Maybe one in which after a given amount of time announces, and then removes healing. Possibly could add a random 2-4 high level ground traps.
11: Possibly allow more rules for CTF & DD events.
Allow such spells as:
  • Teleport
  • Paralyze
  • Wall of Stone
  • Field spells
12: Allow skills like:
  • Poisoning
  • Hiding
  • Stealth
1. No. Dbl hit is era accurate and can be avoided.
2. No. Consumable food will just create a million macers and tons of money spent on fish steaks...The whole point of no consume is to save people money, spending countless gold on fish steaks would be ridiculous. There is a whole thread on this topic BTW.
3. Don't know what this means
4. Yes
5. No. We never seem to get enough for a val trophy anyways...
6. No. Bring pouches. Para is a spell and is easily combated with pouches and casting spells on self.
7. Yes.
8. No. There is a schedule be there or be square. I mean everyone knows when the events start. They need to be responsible enough to prepare prior to give themselves enough time.
9. Yes. If it is possible...
10. Yes, but at a reasonable amount of time.
11. Yes. I am all for making these events as crazy as possible.

Milford Cubicle
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Milford Cubicle »

On a previous shard I was on, when you entered a ctf, there was a "resources" stone in which you would dble click. It would give you items pertaining to your skill i.e: a fencing/macer dexxer would get 100 bandaids, a spear, kryss, hammer, and q staff. A mage would get regs and 2 weapons (for swords; katana & halberd). A poisoning character would have to have alchemy to get a mortar and pestle, and the regs needed, so you could make the DP and then poison the weps. Basically it would give everyone the needed items for their skill specs.

There was teleport, field spells, paralyze, etc... Also, after coming out of the 4 man team flag room there would be a small zig-zag maze with about 4 walls to zig zag around. It made it more difficult to get through because casting stone wall would inhibit the dexer and/or mage to get through without it being dispelled, which would call for more teamwork, not just kamikaze runs into the flag room, and an easy getaway.

Since the population of the server is somewhat low, I would think having the 4 man turned into a 2 man by blocking off the 2 other doors with static walls, with the previous suggestions added, it would make the teams bigger, would require more teamwork like passing the flag and having helpers dispel fields and heal. It would make it awesome, at least it was when I played with these additions. It was addicting, and true flaggers/team players had their glory (if you wanted it).

platy

Post by platy »

sounds like someone else played DFI
They have extremely good event systems in place.. the fact that all items are given to you using a supply stone within the event made it so that even 50/50 newbs were joining.. 4 team CTF events had like 20 per team, and as mentioned field spells were allowed which made flagging hard, stealthers were extremely effective etc.
These stones were in place for tourneys as well
Unfortunately that shard eventually had chars completely geared towards CTF's seeing as the prizes were good- but not a big deal here

alatar

Post by alatar »

The reason I am suggesting removing players & their text from view while dueling is to decrease the already semi-lagginess from the area. The combination of a 100% static-created arena, plus the endless spam from specatators can take a toll on slower computers.
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

BloodyBandage

Post by BloodyBandage »

Doesn't seem lagged enough to justify the change of not being able to interact. It's an mmorpg, the less instancing the better. If you want to ignore the crowd you can, and vice versa. I remember on another shard with instanced duels people were always wondering what the pvpers were saying during pauses and long fights. Sudden death favors offensive minded templates heavily as they can blow their load so to speak and if it doesn't work out just live X amount of minutes before being reset. I gave my reasons above for the other stuff.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

Kyndrith wrote:6. No. Bring pouches. Para is a spell and is easily combated with pouches and casting spells on self.
do u know what duel rules means?? with your way of thinking, invisiblity should be allowed in because it can be easily countered with reveal, or maybe an area spell.... :roll:

a tourny should be duel rules. no exceptions. para is a field spell which should not be permitted in a duel.